Living with my Super Supercharger

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hopefully not angering anyone by posting this in the EMTB section...
2019-01-10 12.50.14.jpg
I have done nearly 300 miles on this beast of a bike and it has been a complete surprise. It is undeniably heavy pushing the scales up to 29KG without any accessories, but, as soon as I set off on my first ride I was amazed at how light and manoeuvrable it felt and was soon able to ride it almost to a standstill without loosing my balance or wobbling all over the place, and the riding position is absolutely perfect for me allowing me to ride for a couple of hours without discomfort. On the road it feels safe and unfused by sidewinds and the thudbuster does a good job of ironing out the bumps although the supplied saddle was terrible so swapped it for one I have in my bike bits box which is OK for now, but need something better. Off road I haven't really tried it except for a short run on the towpath but I cant see it being a problem on the non technical trails I use and it makes the Scott E-Genius 910 feel cumbersome in comparison.
Battery wise, I ride in EMTB all the time and the display generally shows around 80 miles to go (adding miles to go to miles done), so I tried it for 7 to 10 miles in eco on a flattish road and was able to ride it surprisingly easily with the display then showing well over 100 miles to go.
The brakes were a worry, and still are as it cannons down hills like its made of lead with the rear soon loosing traction and skipping a bit, but the tyres are new and I am still exploring its limits.. carefully!
The Gears..
2019-01-10 12.52.37.jpg
The Rohloff E-14 Gears system is slick and precise with no missed gears, and the auto reset when stopped is a handy addition but it is taking some adjustment from me! There is no feel to it and I miss feeling the gear changes as I push the levers, and in the dark with gloves on I cant feel the buttons which give one gear up or down per short push, or 3 gears per long push, but it works.. and all it needs is a back off pedalling and its done and when stopped it auto engages a preselected gear (in my case 7th).
2019-01-10 12.52.42.jpg
The Kiox display
I am thinking this may have been a mistake and I feel its being sold before its actually ready, but what the hek,,.. Someone has to be a trailblazer!!
It is not configurable in any way and HR connection doesn't extend to ant+ so my Garmin HR strap wont connect, there is a configuration screen which advises downloading the app, but the app does not yet support Kiox.
However, it is small and neat and offers several screens that mostly miss the mark.
2019-01-10 12.51.25.jpg
The small front rack is a strange addition for which I have not much use at this time so have strapped my extra light to it, but the water bottle mount, integrated batteries, the security lock and charging point all fit in nicely.
2019-01-10 12.50.46.jpg2019-01-10 12.52.56.jpg2019-01-10 12.54.10.jpg

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
The small front rack is a strange addition for which I have not much use at this time
1547138570283.png
:p

Reactions: Adamski and Gubbins

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
looks easy enough to take of tho and put 2 spacers in its place ;)

Adamski

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2018
Hopefully not angering anyone by posting this in the EMTB section...
View attachment 28433
I have done nearly 300 miles on this beast of a bike and it has been a complete surprise. It is undeniably heavy pushing the scales up to 29KG without any accessories, but, as soon as I set off on my first ride I was amazed at how light and manoeuvrable it felt and was soon able to ride it almost to a standstill without loosing my balance or wobbling all over the place, and the riding position is absolutely perfect for me allowing me to ride for a couple of hours without discomfort. On the road it feels safe and unfused by sidewinds and the thudbuster does a good job of ironing out the bumps although the supplied saddle was terrible so swapped it for one I have in my bike bits box which is OK for now, but need something better. Off road I haven't really tried it except for a short run on the towpath but I cant see it being a problem on the non technical trails I use and it makes the Scott E-Genius 910 feel cumbersome in comparison.
Battery wise, I ride in EMTB all the time and the display generally shows around 80 miles to go (adding miles to go to miles done), so I tried it for 7 to 10 miles in eco on a flattish road and was able to ride it surprisingly easily with the display then showing well over 100 miles to go.
The brakes were a worry, and still are as it cannons down hills like its made of lead with the rear soon loosing traction and skipping a bit, but the tyres are new and I am still exploring its limits.. carefully!
The Gears..
View attachment 28435
The Rohloff E-14 Gears system is slick and precise with no missed gears, and the auto reset when stopped is a handy addition but it is taking some adjustment from me! There is no feel to it and I miss feeling the gear changes as I push the levers, and in the dark with gloves on I cant feel the buttons which give one gear up or down per short push, or 3 gears per long push, but it works.. and all it needs is a back off pedalling and its done and when stopped it auto engages a preselected gear (in my case 7th).
View attachment 28436
The Kiox display
I am thinking this may have been a mistake and I feel its being sold before its actually ready, but what the hek,,.. Someone has to be a trailblazer!!
It is not configurable in any way and HR connection doesn't extend to ant+ so my Garmin HR strap wont connect, there is a configuration screen which advises downloading the app, but the app does not yet support Kiox.
However, it is small and neat and offers several screens that mostly miss the mark.
View attachment 28437
The small front rack is a strange addition for which I have not much use at this time so have strapped my extra light to it, but the water bottle mount, integrated batteries, the security lock and charging point all fit in nicely.
View attachment 28442View attachment 28444View attachment 28445
I love this....100 miles you say?!?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I love this....100 miles you say?!?
For my own unscientific test i was riding in eco up the valley on flatish roads for around 7 miles, but it could have been 9.. and display showed at one point 125 miles to go but settled to around 115 ish after the 7 ish miles. Did i say unscientific? Wasn't really taking note of the battery, was more interested in my ability to ride such a heavy bike in eco mode. But, in my preferred emtb mode it always adds up to 80 ish... Did 22 miles today with a lot of big hills and finished showing 56 miles to go. Bear in mind tho... these bosch display figures are only a guide and a poor guide at that.. its cold and I am riding wounded with back pain so not trying too hard..
The statistic I am most interested in is not how far or how fast, but how long I can ride it for and it's a long time... i can see a steady dales ride lasting all day..

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Top of the range bike Gubbins I really like it. I am sure you will get a lot of enjoyment riding it.

D

Deleted member 128

The small front rack is a strange addition for which I have not much use at this time
I didn't have a use for mine and think the bike looks a lot better without it. The front light mounts easily onto the bracket that's freed up but it might be more effective higher up, I haven't used it in anger yet.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 128

Did you need a spacer to replace it?
Probably, the shop I bought the bike from removed the front carrier for me before it was delivered. I can always reinstall it if necessary.
Like you I'm very pleased with how easy it is to ride and manoeuvre the bike, especially considering its size and weight. I did wonder about the handlebars being so wide to begin with though but I'm beginning to rather like them now.

Related Articles

Advertisers