Local Bike Shop: Nottingham

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my lbs will do both for £25 plus the cost of the hose lines but it is not that hard to do but some brakes can be a pits to bleed and get out all the air like mine lol :rolleyes:

Reactions: Camping Cathy

Camping Cathy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 6, 2017
East Midlands
my lbs will do both for £25 plus the cost of the hose lines but it is not that hard to do but some brakes can be a pits to bleed and get out all the air like mine lol :rolleyes:
That sounds ok. If it's a similar price here it's definitely worth getting done so that I can get the new handlebars on

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
take the bars with you so they can then fit the right length hose and put the levers where you want them.

Camping Cathy

Jul 6, 2017
East Midlands
Half a dozen phone calls later and I have prices ranging from £20 per pair (plus hoses) to £70!

The cheaper quote came from a very long established LBS with 5 star reviews. It also happens to be just a pleasant 20 minute ride away. So I will take a risk and book in for next week (the earliest they can fit me in).

I'm off now to work out how to safely fit the handlebars to my bike to take them with me when I cycle there ( there's no cross bar to attach them to, but I'm sure we can work out a safe way to transport them :))

So fingers crossed....

I will report back next week

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I mentioned that the brakes may not have the length in them on the other page, fitting the Mikes and having the brakes lengthened is well worth the cost. I would add the ergon grips as well esp with the thumb palm support.
I use the set up on my bikes as I don't like the feel of the heavier front suspension and have solid forks, the sweep of the bars plus the ergons take some of the road shock away and since have not suffered any hands aches.

That's a good deal from the local shop if they charge that amount.

Camping Cathy

Jul 6, 2017
East Midlands
I mentioned that the brakes may not have the length in them on the other page, fitting the Mikes and having the brakes lengthened is well worth the cost. I would add the ergon grips as well esp with the thumb palm support.
I use the set up on my bikes as I don't like the feel of the heavier front suspension and have solid forks, the sweep of the bars plus the ergons take some of the road shock away and since have not suffered any hands aches.

That's a good deal from the local shop if they charge that amount.
The cost does seem too good to be true, but I'm going to risk it, as they have universally good reviews.

I did look at the brakes after your earlier advice, and thought there might just be enough "play" , but when we came to do the swap it proved not to be the case.

Have you got the GP3's? I actually ordered a pair of those but had to send them back as I have a twist grip gear change, and didn't realise that I needed a shorter right hand grip to take this into account! I'm definitely learning a lot recently!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
but I'm sure we can work out a safe way to transport them :))
Sounds promising, I hope it all works out well.

Attach the handlebars to your helmet and ride to the bike shop like a real Viking warrior.

Camping Cathy

Jul 6, 2017
East Midlands

Attach the handlebars to your helmet and ride to the bike shop like a real Viking warrior.
Oh my, I laughed so loud at that my OH rushed in to see what he was missing.

I think you might be onto something though:

That made me laugh so loud my OH came rushing in to see what he was missing!

I think you might be onto something, though I'm not sure which jaunty angle makes me look most like a viking warrior

Attachments

Reactions: sjpt

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Definitely gaffa'd as in pic one, nothing like a bit of eccentricity. After all we are ebikers.
The gp's aren't always available in the short versions so for my Road rat with double twist shifters I had to cut mine down, I opted for the GP1 with aluminium end finish as I didn't want the horns on the end. Twist shifters are under rated and is another reason to have them for comfort as they also prevent thumb ache and more so if anyone has joint issues.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The cost does seem too good to be true, but I'm going to risk it, as they have universally good reviews.
The LBS might be thinking as I would do and is being wiley and thrifty saving you some money as well, he may use the longer rear on the front and cut it to length and simply supply a new longer rear and the nipple inserts and olives needed on the hoses.
It sounds like you may have found a good gem of an LBS to keep in your pocket for future issues, when all done it is well worth sounding him and the business out to forum members if you are very pleased with the job.

Last edited:

Camping Cathy

Jul 6, 2017
East Midlands
The LBS might be thinking as I would do and is being wiley and thrifty saving you some money as well, he may use the longer rear on the front and cut it to length and simply supply a new longer rear and the nipple inserts and olives needed on the cables.
It sounds like you may have found a good gem of an LBS to keep in your pocket for future issues, when all done it is well worth sounding him and the business out to forum members if you are very pleased with the job.
I will report back on the outcome for my riding position, and also the service from the LBS.

I was very happy with my training session at the community collective and would like to support them. They have only recently set up though, and replacing the hoses is currently beyond their resources.

So It is also really useful to have a tried and tested LBS nearby, assuming that they live up to their positive reviews.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Twist shifters are under rated and is another reason to have them for comfort as they also prevent thumb ache and more so if anyone has joint issues.
I agree. I cut my right thumb opposer muscle when I was young (4 I think): three things most affected are holding a flute, decent handwriting, and use of thumb shifters.

BUT the more recent thumb shifters are much easier for me than the early ones. The first ones I had I had to take my hand off the bars and press underneath to change down. I find I can work the more modern ones quite easily, though still prefer twist shifters.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think you might be onto something, though I'm not sure which jaunty angle makes me look most like a viking warrior
Now I've seen the photos I am impolite enough to add 'or like a highland cow'.

Camping Cathy

Jul 6, 2017
East Midlands
Cowabunga! Another really a-moo-sing comment from sjpt!

I really wanted to be a viking warrior, but I won't "bullk" at the idea of an "udder" alter ego. Holy Cow will have to do, though my OH would say more like a bull in a china shop :D