Long range: Bosch 400Wh (Gepida Reptila) or Impulse 15Ah ( Kalhoff Agattu)?

borisd0

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 27, 2013
We have two bikes in the frame for touring with our camper van.

The Gepida Reptila 900 with the Bosch crank drive and 400Wh battery and the Kalkhoff Agattu Impulse crank drive and 15Ah battery.

We are looking for a longish range of gentle riding over varying terrain.

Any advice gratefully received as to the merits of the bikes in question.

Thanks,

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
How long is longish? Obviously the 15ah battery is likely to have longer range than the 11ah battery, but unless you're thinking of 50+ miles, either should have sufficient range if the riding is gentle. Between the two bikes, range aside, best to test ride them both and see which you like the best.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Just for info, the Agattu also comes with a 17Ah (612Wh) battery if you want to go even further. I have never seen a Gepida in the 'flesh', very few about in the UK but they are well regarded. Very few people are disappointed with a Kalkhoff, they are a quality bike at a very reasonable price for what you get. But I agree with Streethawk, if possible you should try them both out. Where do you live? If you're in the southwest I think they have the Gepida at Reaction Electric in Taunton and you can try the Kalkhoff at our place near Torrington.

borisd0

Jun 27, 2013
Steethawk, thanks for your response.
Every camp site location is different, maybe flat or very hilly. the full battery capacity will be exploited to visit places of interest in the area. One could say that a 4 hour round trip would be the limit. In hilly terrain, would a 15Ah battery hold up in eco mode with moderate human input (we are well past the flush of youth). I realise to some extent we are talking about how long is piece of string.

I have had a test ride on both bikes but short of an extended test one cannot ascertain all the pros & cons.
I like the Bosch display power options and know it is a first class large company behind it.
I prefer the battery position on the Kalkhoff (not on the rear carrier). The Impulse battery would appear to have a greater capacity but I wonder if the Impulse system has the back up behind it as compared with Bosch.
I troll the web as to the merits of Bosch v Impulse hoping for inspiration!
Also when will 2014 models be on the market and will they offer significant changes? I hear there is a Mk 2 Bosch coming.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
My 400 w/h Bosch battery called time at 28.5 miles yesterday, the display hadn't started flashing but there was less power going to the motor, the 300 w[h battery I then put on did another 10 miles home, it had about 6 miles left when I got home. That was 3,000 feet of ascent and an average speed of 18.6 mph, and I have to limit my input to some degree.

The MK2 Bosch looks interesting, if I was in the market I'd want to hang on to see how it is received by the reviewers and see if the price is OK.

Last edited:

borisd0

Jun 27, 2013
I see from the German sites that "Impulse2" may have a link between the gear shifter and the motor to enable smooth quick changes with hub gears. In other words it takes the power off while the gears change.