Long time lurker, first time poster

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand
Hello,

My Name is Allan and I've been lurking for a few months, but not posted yet.

I'm based in Whangarei, New Zealand.

I brought a rear wheel conversion kit from Vpower.hk, and a Goldenmotor LiFePo4 36V 12 AH battery. They're fitted to an old school Diamondback steel framed mountain bike.

I've done about 700kms so far - about 450 miles I think.

I have some VERY steep hills on my commute home! It's just under 10 kms (6 miles) each way, but the cumulative elevation on my trip is nearly 190M (600 feet). I start at home, about 100M above sea level, and work is about 30 metres above sea level. The problem is all the ups and downs on the way, and I go down to sea level to cross the harbour each way.

This is about 1/3 of the worst hill:

That's on the way home, right after this hill, I go down the other side and up another very similar one! Perhaps that's some of the issue I'm having with range on the way home (I may post about that later).

Anyway - you can see why I wanted electric assist - it's to stop me having a heart attack on the side of the road!

I used to run in the Mountain Bike Park over the road from my house each morning, but since we had kids, I don't find the time. Riding to work only takes an extra 50 minutes per week, but I spend the whole time exercising - at least a bit! The electric assist means I didn't give up on riding - I'm sure I would have without the help, as I'd probably die, but also the extra trvel time would meant I'd drive to save time.

Right - that's my words used up for the day!

Cheers,

Allan.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Hi Allan and welcome to the forum.

Clearly you are the ideal candidate for a electrically assisted bike and have done something positive about it.

Bike looks fine - even if giving the appearance of being a little top heavy!

Ps: whereabouts in New Zealand do you live?

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Hello,

My Name is Allan and I've been lurking for a few months, but not posted yet.

I'm based in Whangarei, New Zealand.

I brought a rear wheel conversion kit from Vpower.hk, and a Goldenmotor LiFePo4 36V 12 AH battery. They're fitted to an old school Diamondback steel framed mountain bike.

I've done about 700kms so far - about 450 miles I think.

I have some VERY steep hills on my commute home! It's just under 10 kms (6 miles) each way, but the cumulative elevation on my trip is nearly 190M (600 feet). I start at home, about 100M above sea level, and work is about 30 metres above sea level. The problem is all the ups and downs on the way, and I go down to sea level to cross the harbour each way.

This is about 1/3 of the worst hill:

That's on the way home, right after this hill, I go down the other side and up another very similar one! Perhaps that's some of the issue I'm having with range on the way home (I may post about that later).

Anyway - you can see why I wanted electric assist - it's to stop me having a heart attack on the side of the road!

I used to run in the Mountain Bike Park over the road from my house each morning, but since we had kids, I don't find the time. Riding to work only takes an extra 50 minutes per week, but I spend the whole time exercising - at least a bit! The electric assist means I didn't give up on riding - I'm sure I would have without the help, as I'd probably die, but also the extra trvel time would meant I'd drive to save time.

Right - that's my words used up for the day!

Cheers,

Allan.
You live in a beautiful part of the world, Allan.
I'm afraid we only 'passed through' Whangarei when we visited, but I don't think there was a part of New Zealand we didn't love - fantastic climate, stunning scenery and so few people!:)

Have you thought of trying panniers to reduce your topweight?

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
Stayed many times just above you in Paihai - fishing Bay of Islands. Was part of the N.Ireland sal****er fly team in the Air N.Z tournament. We actually won it the third year.
N.Z. was certainly first in line when they were handing out mountains.
Glad to see you're not a JAFA :rolleyes:

C

Cyclezee

Kiwi PM Steals Wellington Mayor's eZee Torq

The photo below shows PM John Keys riding Wellington Mayor riding Celia Wade-Brown's eZee Torq.

9320476.jpg
Also of note, Auckland council now has a fleet of eZee Sprints which are used by staff as an alternative to cars for getting round the city:cool:

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Yeah, It's a bit top heavy - I have the topbox for lunch and clothes mostly.

Whangarei is NZ's northern most "city" 2/3rds of the way North from Auckland on the way to the Bay of Islands.
Welcome to the best site NZgeek, and i'll tell you what don't let anyone on here including myself use your bike as a laughing joke. When you are fed up of it just relax lean back on your purpose built back rest and forget about us Brits. Welcome again.:eek:

MS.

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
Stayed many times just above you in Paihai - fishing Bay of Islands. Was part of the N.Ireland sal****er fly team in the Air N.Z tournament. We actually won it the third year.
N.Z. was certainly first in line when they were handing out mountains.
Glad to see you're not a JAFA :rolleyes:
Paihia ;) Very nice! No way a Jafa - lived there for 2 years... WAY too long!

Apparently the swear filter filtered that... this might be stupid, but...... I can't work out what the stars should be!

Yep... lots of hills! My wifes cousin came over from Northern Ireland, and was actually ANNOYED by the hils... you go up, just to go down, and up, and down.... especially up this way!

My wifes father is from Northern Ireland, so most of her relatives are there.

You live in a beautiful part of the world, Allan.
I'm afraid we only 'passed through' Whangarei when we visited, but I don't think there was a part of New Zealand we didn't love - fantastic climate, stunning scenery and so few people!

Have you thought of trying panniers to reduce your topweight?
It is a nice place. A lot of people just pass through. I'm about 6 miles from work. I live in the country... on the OTHER side of town from the Hospital I work at.

I have thought of panniers, but I like to be able to unhook my topbox and walk away with it - takes 2 seconds, and everything is always dry and locked. I can also fit my lunchbox in the topbox, upright so it doesn't leak. I like lunch. I looked locally for some hard panniers, but never found any.

If you saw the bike with me on... I dwarf the top box. I'm nearly 6'1", and 130kgs :eek:

The photo below shows PM John Keys riding Wellington Mayor riding Celia Wade-Brown's eZee Torq.

Also of note, Auckland council now has a fleet of eZee Sprints which are used by staff as an alternative to cars for getting round the city
Cycling hasn't been well promoted in NZ, but I'm sure a cycle in Auckland would beat most of the cars, during workdays anywhere central - the traffic is horrendous!

Welcome to the best site NZgeek, and i'll tell you what don't let anyone on here including myself use your bike as a laughing joke. When you are fed up of it just relax lean back on your purpose built back rest and forget about us Brits.
I can take a bit of ****taking. I can always take comfort in leaving home at 630 am, riding halfway to work before seeing a car, only taking 20 minutes to get to work including crossing right through town, and the upper harbour. That's only 5 minutes longer than in the car :cool:

Thanks for the welcome!!!!! This place seems awesome.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
The mind boggles at the picture...

"I can fit my Lunchbox in the topbox - Upright so it doesn't leak" :cool:

You're a fortunate bloke, to live where you do - Sounds like a widescreen version of Cornwall - We've got a hill or three, too.

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
I see the letters are filtered out - i can't think why. :rolleyes:
The whole word is opposite to freshwater.
One of the team broke a small bone in his foot and we took him to your hospital to bandage up - small world.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Paihia. Very nice! No way a Jafa - lived there for 2 years... WAY too long!

Apparently the swear filter filtered that... this might be stupid, but...... I can't work out what the stars should be!
I believe the missing letters would tw@t, where @ is an a. I suspect NZs most popular bird, the Shag, would not be welcome here either;) Edit: Wow! It is allowed! It almost makes me want to try every naughty word, and see what they've missed!

I have thought of panniers, but I like to be able to unhook my topbox and walk away with it - takes 2 seconds, and everything is always dry and locked. I can also fit my lunchbox in the topbox, upright so it doesn't leak. I like lunch. I looked locally for some hard panniers, but never found any.

If you saw the bike with me on... I dwarf the top box. I'm nearly 6'1", and 130kgs
Just a small representative of NZ then? I guess everything is poportional, so I guess that small lunch box won't make much difference:eek:

Cycling hasn't been well promoted in NZ, but I'm sure a cycle in Auckland would beat most of the cars, during workdays anywhere central - the traffic is horrendous!

Thanks for the welcome!!!!! This place seems awesome.
Horrendous traffic in Auckland indeed. We got stuck in a traffic jam at rush hour on the elevated part of SH1 (I think) for at least, ooh, 10 minutes?:p We can't do a lot that is bigger in the UK, but I think we have the edge with traffic holdups! (the extra 55 million population helps with that!)

It is amazing that we can get help with ebike issues from anywhere in the world:cool:

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
The mind boggles at the picture...

"I can fit my Lunchbox in the topbox - Upright so it doesn't leak"

You're a fortunate bloke, to live where you do - Sounds like a widescreen version of Cornwall - We've got a hill or three, too.
My lunchbox is a 2L box full of salad - it can be damp. Plus fruit and goodies.

I haven't been to the UK, but my wife worked there for a few years (she's a Midwife and did maternity nursing for Ewan McGregor and his wife, Eve). She's been a few times, and even lived some of her school years in Northern Ireland. I'd like to visit one day - My Wife thinks we should take our VW Kombi over!

Not everything here is good, though. It's a nice place, but has it problems - like everywhere.

I see the letters are filtered out - i can't think why.
The whole word is opposite to freshwater.
One of the team broke a small bone in his foot and we took him to your hospital to bandage up - small world.
Of course! Salt-water is just "normal" to us - Couldn't for the life of me work it out though I tried some other 4 letter words in there, but they were all a bit "rougher" ;). It IS a small world!

I believe the missing letters would tw@t, where @ is an a. I suspect NZs most popular bird, the Shag, would not be welcome here either Edit: Wow! It is allowed! It almost makes me want to try every naughty word, and see what they've missed!

Just a small representative of NZ then? I guess everything is poportional, so I guess that small lunch box won't make much difference

Horrendous traffic in Auckland indeed. We got stuck in a traffic jam at rush hour on the elevated part of SH1 (I think) for at least, ooh, 10 minutes?:p We can't do a lot that is bigger in the UK, but I think we have the edge with traffic holdups! (the extra 55 million population helps with that!)

It is amazing that we can get help with ebike issues from anywhere in the world:cool:
Haha! You might get in trouble in the attempt at swear filter testing! There are some other forums I read where they play games with the swear filter "first dibs" is changed to "May I have first refusal on your fine merchandise, good sir?" etc :)

Yes, I'm just a small boy (ha). I usually only cut my hair about 3 times a year too, so I'm usually a big shaggy hairy man. I think people drive carefully when I'm cycling, in case I crush their car.

Traffic... I don't even like the traffic here! Driving home usually takes 5 minutes longer, because it's right in the middle of the school run. However, we just got a Harbour bridge crossing, so I go that way now, either cycling or driving - I get to shoot around the edge of town.

The internet makes the world a much smaller place! I particularly enjoy UK forums, the humour and personalities etc are similar to NZ (Duh) and tend not to be TOO pc :)