Looking for an electric bike for a heavy rider

Elz75

Just Joined
Oct 3, 2015
Hello everyone, electric bike newbie here.

I have been looking online for advice about buying an electric bike for a heavy rider, but most of the information I could find is a few years old.

I am an early 20s female who is overweight and trying to get more active. I currently walk back and to to work but I would love to be able to cycle as it would be quicker. However I live in a city known for its steep hills, so an ebike seems like a potentially good option.

I've read that most ebikes aren't designed for people who weigh over 225lbs which at the moment won't cut it for me. Bear in mind I would only be cycling a couple of miles a day which is way under what they all seem to be capable of but I don't know if my weight + considerable hills would counteract that. The ride to work would be all down hill though. It's just the ride back that would be up hill.

However I'm restricted by cost, I'd be doing it through the Cycle2Work scheme so has to be under £1000 anyway but I can't really afford more than £700.

I know this is a lot to ask and I'm not getting my hopes up that a bike that matches this criteria actually exists! But any advice would be appreciated!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You don't give your weight, yet you are asking if it will be a problem.

'Over 225lbs' could be anything, but assuming it's not 200lbs over then it's not relevant - any bike will carry you safely.

Your weight will impact on the bike's climbing ability, so best to get something with a bit of poke, but still legal.

A couple of miles each way is no distance, so no worries about battery capacity.

Where this is leading is to woosh bikes.

They are on budget, do the cycle to work scheme, have a smaller 24" wheel bike if you are not tall, and most of their bikes have strong motors.

Have a word on Monday with Hatti, she runs the place, but would rather not sell you a bike than tuck you up into something not suitable.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I know its rude to ask, but you might have to let us know your vital statistics in order to get accurate help. Weight, height and inside leg should do it.

Also, some idea of the hill would be useful. Distance and grade, or start/finish elevation. Even two postcodes would help.

That way you will get sensible advice.

I'll go first: I'm 6ft, 120 kilos and 33" inside leg. I regularly ride towing an 8 year old boy on his bike, so an effective weight of about 160 kilos.