Looking for light weight step through folding MTB?

D Bell

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 8, 2016
Hi, I've currently got a Batribike Breeze, which has been great - but I'm thinking about buying another. I'm looking for something very similar, but a bit tougher & sturdier - a bit more capable of taking on rougher terrain. I have taken the current one over some pretty rough routes, just getting off and pushing when I have to (using the throttle to help when steep).
I'm considering this - https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/electric-bikes/folding-electric-bikes/basis-hybrid-full-size-folding-electric-bike-700c-wheel-96ah-battery---black-red - but it's still a hybrid rather than MTB, and I really wanted front suspension as well. Would I be able to swap out the forks? Any one got any more suitable recommendations (max £1500, max weight inc battery 23kg).
95% of my rides are on road, but I like the occasional adventure! I Would consider non-folding, but being able to just throw it in the boot makes trips out so much easier...
I'm basically after a cheaper version of this - https://www.montaguebikes.com/product/m-e1/

TIA
(my current bike - https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/brands/batribike/batribike-breeze-lcd-electric-folding-bike)

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I've currently got a Batribike Breeze, which has been great... I'm looking for something very similar, but a bit tougher & sturdier - a bit more capable of taking on rougher terrain.
This may be worth a punt: A "tougher" off-road folding e-bike to compliment your existing Batribike. Front and rear suspension, fat tyres, decent 12.5Ah battery. It weighs 25kg though. The disc brakes and Tourney gearing is a bit basic but functional. At just £770 how can you complain? It looks good fun!

Fiido M1 Folding Fat Tire Electric Mountain Bike | 250W

D Bell

Feb 8, 2016
Thanks, but I can only just manage to lift my current bike in and out of the car (got a bad back), so it's probably a bit too heavy.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I think by time you add suspension forks and beefy tyres to cope with rougher surfaces, you'll be looking at that kind of weight. That 25kg M1 is also sold as a D4S variant, which is simplified as a commuter bike with road tyres, and that weighs 18kg as a comparison. It's big tyres and beefy suspension adding most of that extra weight. And a Breeze type "low-step" frame is going to flex like crazy on rougher terrain - which may be why you just don't see factory-built "low-step" MTB bikes.

How rough are the surfaces you're hoping to cycle?

EDIT: I've just noticed you've edited your original post. That M-E1 is 24.5kg, and is more of a commuter/tour bike than MTB.

Last edited:

D Bell

Feb 8, 2016
Bridleways, mostly. I've taken my existing Bike over Malham moor for example. Obviously it's not really designed for this! But I don't do this sort of thing often, and I already have one expensive hobby (horses) so not willing to spend thousands... I'm going to have to compromise somewhere, just trying to find the right option for me. I can't compromise much on the weight though - even if I get a non-folding, I need to be able to lift it on and off a rear-mounted rack.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I can't see how you're going to achieve your aim: The 700c Basis Beacon you link is already 23kg. By time you add a front shock and some wider grippier tyres, it's again going to be too heavy (it's a steel frame, and the front hub drive with a cheap springy shock is likely to scrabble on loose surfaces). Even your current folding Breeze is already 22.75kg: Maybe you could just add wider grippier trekking tyres? You can't even add a suspension seat-post as your current seat-post is a flip-up design to allow removal of the battery.

Neither of the above are going to be much fun to ride on the surface you picture. I've ridden similar surfaces on a 700c suspension fork, trekking-tyre hybrid - progress is often slow and sometimes painful. I'd definitely be looking for a proper MTB (if there is one under 23kg).

Maybe others here have better ideas?

Reactions: D Bell

D Bell

Feb 8, 2016
If I am happy to go with non-folding the roodog avatar looks good -
It's just a tad more expensive than I really wanted to go!

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
That looks an interesting compromise. Nice to see they've strengthened the frame between the seat-post and down-tube given it's purported off-road abilities. Somehow, I can't seeing it actually being 22kg though given its substantial looking frame - and not if you opt for the larger battery. That'd be lighter than your Breeze folding bike! But you could always remove the battery when lifting...

I've just bought a Fiido D11 folding ebike. They brag of a headline weight being just 12.9kg - "lightest in its class!". It's not until you read the small print you realise that weight is with the battery removed! That adds 4.5kg (it's still pretty light though).

As the weight issue is important to you, I'd definitely check that before committing.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk

D Bell

Feb 8, 2016

IOWgran

Just Joined
Jun 4, 2021
Think I'm going to go with the Roodog Avatar, as it's currently selling at £1599 - https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/brands/roodog/roodog-avatar-step-through.
Does that seem a reasonable price given the spec? Anything I should be aware of given I've not bought a mtb for 25 years?
I have had a Roodog Avatar - and a Striker . Both are good and solid ebikes. The Striker is quite a bit lighter but the Avatar is step through. Roodog also has very good after sales services.

D Bell

Feb 8, 2016
I have had a Roodog Avatar - and a Striker . Both are good and solid ebikes. The Striker is quite a bit lighter but the Avatar is step through. Roodog also has very good after sales services.
I've been put off it now when I realised it only comes in 18" frame size. I are right at the lowest end of the recommended height and am worried it will be too big for me.

Last edited: