Loving e bikes especially my folding Volt Metro

Neil Warren

Just Joined
Aug 30, 2014
After boring work colleagues around me for years about how I fancied a folding electric bike I finally took the plunge at Christmas using the Cyclescheme to buy a Volt metro.
Ok so there may be some more sophisticated folding ebikes out there but I'm loving the opportunities a folding ebike provides. Have been able to use it with the train in my work advising small businesses around South West England. Anywhere within ten miles of a station and it's perfect. Such a pleasure to cycle through the countryside enjoying the views without having to worry about the hills.
Heaving on and off trains is a bit of hard work but it's only for a few seconds and well worth it.
Still to pluck up the courage to take on a bus. According to the local bus operator, Stagecoach, they say they accept folding bikes but I'm not convinced that individual bus drivers will be so happy. Wondering if anyone has any experience of this.
Neil

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Only one way to find out, stand at the bus stop with the bike folded up at your side. When the driver lets you on and says "where to?" Just say "anywhere, just give me a nudge in 20 miles". ;)

Welcome to the forum.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Bus driver acceptance could depend on the layout of the bus - some have open areas near the doors.

I believe folded bikes are usually treated in the same category as pushchairs.

In a head-to-head, the pushchair will always be taken before the bike - can't keep the benefits baby waiting, can we?

So your chances are better if there are no pushchairs either on the bus already or waiting at your stop.

On a linked note, a mate of mine tried to take his ordinary bike on the Metro light railway system which specifies folded folders only.

His reasoning was the conductor - if there is one - doesn't appear until the journey is under way so the worst they could do is chuck him off at the next station.

But he reckoned without the on board CCTV.

As soon as he got on the train with the bike, a voice told him to get off.

Another mate who has been down a similar route told me it really is zero tolerance - they will not move the train until the offending cyclist has got off.

Neil Warren

Just Joined
Aug 30, 2014
Thanks for the replies and suggestions - much appreciated.
It reinforces what I've been thinking - that it would be worth a try but probably best not rely on working. Shame though as it would really open up so many rural areas down here in the South West. Never mind, there's lefty to keep me going that is within range of a railway line. (And the Metro example reminded why he decided I needed a folding bike - the branch lines down here tend to only have a couple of bike spaces and if they are already taken when the train pulls in...). Thanks again for taking the time to reply