magicmary cracking up

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0178_03.JPG
DSC_0179_03.JPG

these tyres was new in oct 2018 but the compound has changed as the old sg tyres had gold writing on them and the old ones in the shed have not gone like this as even the rear hans dampf is also looking ruff with cracks but not as bad.

going round corners going 30mph dont help but was not a problem on the old compound

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
It's not a tubeless thing then. Typically when people run tyres tubeless at lower pressures the tread can get more of a beating as it forms more aggressive angles around the ground surface and more likely to crack. So more grip but shorter tyre lifespan.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Maybe the tyre formula/compound has changed, a guy on the cycle uk forum had his two TL tyres eaten from the inside by TL sealant.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Typically when people run tyres tubeless at lower pressures the tread can get more of a beating as it forms more aggressive angles around the ground surface and more likely to crack.
Im not sure i agree with that :confused: Crackings usually down direct sunlight. Breaks down the rubber. A new tyre is flexible and supple. I wouldn't have thought its ability to move more would lead to it cracking.

I'd ask, has it been stored in direct sunlight ?.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Im not sure i agree with that :confused: Crackings usually down direct sunlight. Breaks down the rubber. A new tyre is flexible and supple. I wouldn't have thought its ability to move more would lead to it cracking.

I'd ask, has it been stored in direct sunlight ?.
Well I could be wrong but I was thinking after the tyre was new, and less flexible and supple and then being flexed more because of the lower pressure. A bit like side walls perishing with time with the constant deflection of use.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my front tyre is 35psi so rock hard just the older sg tyres did not do this so must be a different compound they are using now.

it is 3 years old and the rear will also need changing this year but it took me a fkn hour to get each tyre on my mavic rims there that tight fitting :confused:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
info@schwalbe.co.uk
Wed 27/04/2022 11:15

Goo Morning
Thank you for contacting us. I am sorry to read of your dissatisfaction with one of our products.
It’s always extremely disappointing to hear about any Schwalbe product issues and we absolutely understand consumer frustration when they occur. If you believe that what you have bought is not of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose or as described you should return the product to the retailer that sold you the product. This is because your contract is with the retailer, who you bought the goods from, and not the manufacturer. It is their responsibility to issue you with a repair, replacement or refund and not the manufacturer's.
I am sorry that you have been left frustrated by this experience and I hope that the retailer resolves the matter for you. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Schwalbe Tyres UK Limited
Schwalbe Centre
Hortonwood 30
Telford
TF1 7ET

just got to wait for the chain reaction warranty team to get back to me in the next 2-3 days but doubt ill get a new one but worth a try.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well chai reaction got back to me and they want the code that is inside the tyre and can then get the warranty team to sort it out so might get a new tyre or might not either way it needs to go anyway as don't trust it looking like that

20220428_145655[1].jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Just think how much faster one can go when those knobblies all fall off.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thing is i bought both these tyres at the same time the rear is pretty worn buy now and a few nobs have cracks in them but nothing like the front as the cracks are going across the side wall and the speed i go the hole side could rip off.

never had this problem with the old compound but the addix version was pretty new back then so could be a duff rubber mix why they want the sn inside the tyre imo.

rrp for these tyres is £67 so not cheap

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Out of curiosity I googled bicycle tyre recall and a lot of the first hits weren't tyres but the first tyre to appear in the list was Schwalbe. I know Schwalbe originally started because the Korean manufacturer couldn't get a foothold in western markets because Korean products weren't highly regarded at the time so they were given a German rebranding in partnership with a German company. I remember a few years ago seeing a comparison of the same bicycle tyre at least visually and the Schwalbe tyre was about 30 euros but a version with the Tiron branding was selling for about $3 in Asia, a huge difference. Both tyres made in Indonesia by Hung A. As ever its not about how much something costs to make but how much people are prepared to pay. The rubber compound was probably poorly mixed at the Indonesian factory and a batch of very poor tyres were manufactured. To the consumer Schwalbe are a quality German tyre manufacturer but the reality is a Korean manufacturer using low cost labour in Indonesia in some high volume sweatshop factory. Are Schwalbe tyres any better than the Tiron tyres sold in Asia for a fraction of the price I personally suspect not. Are bicycles in Asia having any more punctures or issues than Europe despite paying very little for their tyres probably they have less issues as lighter people.

Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well tyre is off and here it is.

DSC_0183_02.JPG
DSC_0184_03.JPG
DSC_0185_03.JPG

the sealent has made its own liner over the 3 years i have been topping up with 60mm every 3 months and could only just snap it in half like a jumbo elastic band.

no rim damage or damage to the valve core hole and nothing has got in to the tyre puncture wise.

sent the sn to chain reaction so just have to wait and see what they say as more cracks show up every ride i do on it so is kaput.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0188_03.JPG
o_O

Reactions: Bonzo Banana

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
warranty@chainreactioncycles.com
Wed 04/05/2022 10:03

Thank you for sending through images of your product.
To find the best possible resolution for you, I have passed your claim onto the manufacturer for advice. I would normally expect a decision from them within three to four working days though in some cases this can take a little longer.
During this time we will be keeping in touch with the service centre to get a decision made as quickly as possible.
I will be in touch as soon as I have further information.
If there is anything further I can assist with in the meantime, please let me know.
Thanks,

Ana

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Thank you for your patience.
Great news! The supplier accepted your warranty claim.
I am afraid to inform you that we do not currently have a replacement for your item in our warehouse. I am sorry for any disappointment this may cause.
To come to the best resolution for you, I can offer a full refund in gift vouchers for the item, which can be used as credit towards any other item on our website within the next 12 months. For more gift voucher T&Cs, please click here. With this offer, there would be no need to return the item, I would simply ask that you send an image of the item beyond use so that I can generate a voucher for you.
Please let me know if you wish to accept this offer.
Thanks,

Ana

:p

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Thank you for your patience.
Great news! The supplier accepted your warranty claim.
I am afraid to inform you that we do not currently have a replacement for your item in our warehouse. I am sorry for any disappointment this may cause.
To come to the best resolution for you, I can offer a full refund in gift vouchers for the item, which can be used as credit towards any other item on our website within the next 12 months. For more gift voucher T&Cs, please click here. With this offer, there would be no need to return the item, I would simply ask that you send an image of the item beyond use so that I can generate a voucher for you.
Please let me know if you wish to accept this offer.
Thanks,

Ana

:p
Send them a weird image of six knives sticking out of the tyre or possibly burn the tyre and take a picture of it burning. I guess if you want to be normal just cut the tyre in half. I shall remember in the future that Magic Mary isn't actually that magic in fact the tyres are a bit rubbish on occasion and probably best avoided unless a serious bargain. Looking at my tyres they are mainly Continental, Kenda and Schwalbe. I've had most success with Kenda's but then I'm a heavy rider and they are a bit more overbuilt typically or at least the one's I buy typically are.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thing is the rear hans damp is fine as bought them both at the same time and there are no cracks on the side walls and takes a hammering so it must be a dodgy rubber mix.

i also never had this problem with the older super gravity tyres but they changed the mix to addix.

tbh i did not think id get anywhere with a warranty replacement esp for a tyre that is years old but i won in the end lol ;)

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
thing is the rear hans damp is fine as bought them both at the same time and there are no cracks on the side walls and takes a hammering so it must be a dodgy rubber mix.

i also never had this problem with the older super gravity tyres but they changed the mix to addix.

tbh i did not think id get anywhere with a warranty replacement esp for a tyre that is years old but i won in the end lol ;)
Great result but does make you think that Schwalbe or Hunga quality isn't fantastically consistent.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have never tried any other brand of tyre on my bike as until now the super gravity version has been pretty much bomb proof puncture wise but you pay the price in weight at about 1.1kg each or more for wider versions and never had a flat tyre bar stans no tubes destroying my front crank brothers wheel valve hole with corrosion as got fkn traces of ammonia in it so if you dont clean it out every few months your wheel set will be toast in a couple of years.

but it goes to show if you dont try a warranty claim for a wear part like a tyre that is years old and shows cracks in it like that you can get it replaced for free as plenty of tread left on it but i wonder how many other manufactures would do the same thing and offer a full refund.

tho i can spend the gift voucher on anything i like :cool:

Related Articles

Advertisers