Making my eBike less illegal

Shakes

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 17, 2021
Hello All,

I currently own a CityBlitz CB020 operating at 36V 250W. It came with static BMX pegs from factory with no chain.

I would like to add a set of pedals and a gear/ chain setup to begin to make it slightly more legal and road worthy (can move on to the pedal assist sensors later).

As I am new to this, I have no idea what parts I would need and where would be fastest (maybe not China) to source them from. I have included a few photos and dimensions of things in which I believe could help others if anyone is able to guide me and provide me with links of things I would require.

I have watched a few YouTube videos of people doing similar things but I am still unsure on what spec of things I personally would require.

Thank you for reading.
Any help appreciated.

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hello All,

I currently own a CityBlitz CB020 operating at 36V 250W. It came with static BMX pegs from factory with no chain.

I would like to add a set of pedals and a gear/ chain setup to begin to make it slightly more legal and road worthy (can move on to the pedal assist sensors later).

As I am new to this, I have no idea what parts I would need and where would be fastest (maybe not China) to source them from. I have included a few photos and dimensions of things in which I believe could help others if anyone is able to guide me and provide me with links of things I would require.

I have watched a few YouTube videos of people doing similar things but I am still unsure on what spec of things I personally would require.

Thank you for reading.
Any help appreciated.
It's a tough one to convert, but I have done something similar for a rear motor without threads for a freewheel. You can read the details from paragraph 4 on my T-Bike web page.

Your other problem is if the bottom bracket housing will accept a conventional bottom bracket for a pedalshaft and chainwheel, but I can't help with that. Hopefully others will be able to.

Reactions: Shakes

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Hi, not my type of work but I see 2 things you need to check :

It looks like a compact bike, if you fit pedals will they (or your toes) hit the front wheel - it looks like there will be very little space between them when you're pedalling.

The rear wheel isn't the type you can just fix a set of gears to, I'm sure it's possible (see the photos by Flecc above) but it won't be easy.

Good luck, keep us updated :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Just looking at the BB shell, we can see some fins (several) which are integral to the shell. These likely would have to be machined out so a press fit 41mm BMS BB can fit, so straight away not an easy job.

One should find another suitable bike for akit conversion and forget trying to watse money on this one.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh and flecc

Shakes

Jun 17, 2021
It's a tough one to convert, but I have done something similar for a rear motor without threads for a freewheel. You can read the details from paragraph 4 on my T-Bike web page.

Your other problem is if the bottom bracket housing will accept a conventional bottom bracket for a pedalshaft and chainwheel, but I can't help with that. Hopefully others will be able to.
I thought my picture captured the threads but I was originally under the impression that there were threads already present - can be felt when running my nail across the ridges.

I always assumed any freewheel of that diameter would fit but on second thought, I am beginning to see how that may not be possible given how sleek the threads actually are.

Having seen your webpage, I am also currently considering perhaps getting a different rear hub motor which can accept a freewheel more easily - your well documented install may be ever so slightly outside of my abilities!

Shakes

Jun 17, 2021
Hi, not my type of work but I see 2 things you need to check :

It looks like a compact bike, if you fit pedals will they (or your toes) hit the front wheel - it looks like there will be very little space between them when you're pedalling.

The rear wheel isn't the type you can just fix a set of gears to, I'm sure it's possible (see the photos by Flecc above) but it won't be easy.

Good luck, keep us updated :)
Hi,

I understand it is a compact bike, from my judgement, I can see (and hope) that the pedals shouldn’t hit the ground, especially when dis/mounting lowered curbs.

I am also potentially considering changing the entire rear hub for one which can accept a freewheel more easily.

Shakes

Jun 17, 2021
Just looking at the BB shell, we can see some fins (several) which are integral to the shell. These likely would have to be machined out so a press fit 41mm BMS BB can fit, so straight away not an easy job.

One should find another suitable bike for akit conversion and forget trying to watse money on this one.
Dear Nealh,

I am more than happy and able to machine out the fins in order to fit a BMS BB.

I believe I am at a point in which I have invested a significant amount of time into this bike and I feel as though I would like to make it work, if it were possible somehow

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I thought my picture captured the threads but I was originally under the impression that there were threads already present - can be felt when running my nail across the ridges.

I always assumed any freewheel of that diameter would fit but on second thought, I am beginning to see how that may not be possible given how sleek the threads actually are.
You may have suitable threads there, I couldn't see threads in the photo and the flange looked a bit too narrow. Freewheel threads are fine, so closely spaced at 1mm apart. At the size you indicate it would be metric BMX thread which is 30 mm diameter. I believe that means only single speed since I don't think there are any multi-sprocket BMX freewheels.

Freewheel thread sizes are on this link

Reactions: Shakes

Advertisers