Manx rider wins Tour De France stage

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
If you didn't already know, Mark Cavendish won todays stage. If you are underwhelmed bear with me - its a small island and it is very big news here. It will make cycling even more popular with the youngsters, which has to be a good thing.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Seriously impressive and the first stage win from these islands since David Millar a few years ago, then Chris Boardman before that. This guy seems to be on a roll.

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Amazing to think that even with motors we couldn't keep up with these guys.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
Amazing to think that even with motors we couldn't keep up with these guys.
I used to see Cavendish out training with his mates and they would storm past my electric bike even on hills. He mostly trains abroad these days so I'm spared the depressing sight of them disappearing into the distance!

TomB

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
far from underwhelming, it's an amazing and super human feat.

unfortunately it never ceases to amaze me that the most demanding, spectacular and popular yearly sporting event in the world passes most people in the UK by.

i smiled wryly to myself recently when i overheard someone referring to Wimbledon as the ultimate sporting event, i thought knocking a ball around for a few minutes and then having a bit of a sit down is not exactly a week in the alps.

as Armstrong said: "its like running a marathon, palying chess and driving nascar all at the same time"

Chris_Bike

Pedelecer
May 20, 2008
Birmingham
If you didn't already know, Mark Cavendish won todays stage. If you are underwhelmed bear with me - its a small island and it is very big news here. It will make cycling even more popular with the youngsters, which has to be a good thing.
No one should be underwhelmed Bob. Mark has to be the best roadman-sprinter that any of the British Isles have yet produced. He's up there with Shaun Kelly (Ireland) of a few years ago - and a hot tip for the Olympic Madison title on the track. Much of this is down to a fantastic talent spotting and nurturing programme by British Cycling that has made us the top cycling nation in about 10 years.

If anybody doesn't know, you can catch the Tour highlights on ITV4 every night at 7pm.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And Mark Cavendish has now made it FOUR stage wins in this years tour, a record for anyone from the UK at both the three and four stage win points, and also the first Briton to get two successive stage wins.

When he's finished with the Tour de France later, he's off to Beijing to represent us in the Olympics.

In French newspapers and TV this is front page news stuff, despite him being British. Here the BBC just give it a brief mention and don't even show a still photo on the TV news.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Enjoying it every night!

Hi All,

Since Bikerbob posted the TV channel and time for this event, I have watched it every evening. I had never realised just how closely the team works together, shielding, creating space and finally, in the last kilometer, presenting Cavendish with the opportunity to power through and over the line.

Ye Gods!!, this guy is an absolute power house in that final sprint, how on earth that machine doesn't crumple under that amount of pressure is beyond me.

My heart really went out to the poor guy that hit that raised kerb at full tilt, ouch!. That's when you realise how light those machines are when they fly that high in the air.

My thanks to Bikerbob for pointing me to some interesting viewing.

Best wishes to all

Bob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi All,

My heart really went out to the poor guy that hit that raised kerb at full tilt, ouch!. That's when you realise how light those machines are when they fly that high in the air.

Bob
Yes, that was a heart stopping moment, but more amazing was the fact that he got back onto the spare bike and finished the race. These guys are beyond human.

Also amazing I thought is that Mark Cavendish is reported to have been checked across the line at 46 mph. Imagine that, 46 mph on the flat!

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Yes, that was a heart stopping moment, but more amazing was the fact that he got back onto the spare bike and finished the race. These guys are beyond human.

Also amazing I thought is that Mark Cavendish is reported to have been checked across the line at 46 mph. Imagine that, 46 mph on the flat!
Nice to see the drug boys being flushed out...also has any one noted that with all the reporting Mr Spear Biceps Power ( note well this gents Legal team is bigger than his race team) Has raised barely a mention..not to comment that his dispension to pop pills allowed him to dominate the event for about too hundred years. Most comparison of prowers is with Induran..I was up a col once with the motor home, and watching saw him crest....I jumped up and down, and shouted Manafique..vite vite...he actually looked over, and nodded..then decended .
Thats a sportsman...

Advertisers