Mate X 750

Hnl3

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 19, 2019
Hi all.
Totally new to ebikes. Looking to get away from using my car for my short but very hilly commute to work which has a 2.3km climb (4.7 to 12%) amongst others. 6 mile round trip. Will there be any issue getting a mate x 750 (750w motor) or will it get stopped at customs? I was concerned with living in a hilly area and wanted the extra power. But after a bit of Google fu it seems that it’s out of spec according to uk eBike laws. Despite the availability of parts on the diy scene. Any advice would be appreciated.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
There is lots of people on here that use kits
If you have no luck getting an answer in the intro thread go on a more specific section of the site as not everyone looks in here all the time

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you are tempted to take it to the beach: be warned, the salty air and spray will corrode the inside of the G06 motor in no time.
Salt eats through aluminium at the rate of knots.

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
Hi Hnl3, You may be subject to duty if he motor is stopped also you may be fined in he event of being stopped on your bike. If you are sensible and don't try and overtake the police you should be fine!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Hnl3

Jan 19, 2019
Hi Hnl3, You may be subject to duty if he motor is stopped also you may be fined in he event of being stopped on your bike. If you are sensible and don't try and overtake the police you should be fine!

Hnl3

Jan 19, 2019
Thanks for the info. So I may have to pay duty. I don’t plan to use it to it’s full capabilities on the road. But would like the additional assist when needed on the climbs. I wouldn’t be going up a hill at 20+mph without pedalling that’s for sure.

Hnl3

Jan 19, 2019
if you are tempted to take it to the beach: be warned, the salty air and spray will corrode the inside of the G06 motor in no time.
Salt eats through aluminium at the rate of knots.
Will it be ok with the road grit? Which I assume could be nasty?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Will it be ok with the road grit? Which I assume could be nasty?
surface water is no problem, it's the salt content that eats the aluminium and steel inside.
You can't see the corrosion from the outside. Only when the motor seizes, you open it up and spend a day removing the rust, all the alloy surface inside looks like Swiss cheese. That's after only about a few weeks riding on the beach.

Hnl3

Jan 19, 2019
surface water is no problem, it's the salt content that eats the aluminium and steel inside.
You can't see the corrosion from the outside. Only when the motor seizes, you open it up and spend a day removing the rust, all the alloy surface inside looks like Swiss cheese. That's after only about a few weeks riding on the beach.
Cheers. Any idea if it will be a major headache getting the mate 750 at customs or will it just be a case of duty if it’s stopped? And also being very careful when out on the road.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Cheers. Any idea if it will be a major headache getting the mate 750 at customs or will it just be a case of duty if it’s stopped? And also being very careful when out on the road.
You should read about anti-dumping duty on the pedelec forum.
You are likely to be caught in the trap. The rate is 87% anti-dumping plus about 20% for countervailing value duty (anti-subsidy duty). 20% VAT is then added on top.
Forget about importing it directly.
I have to assemble all my bikes in Southend since anti dumping duty got imposed on all Chinese e-bikes.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/news/eu-imposes-anti-dumping-and-anti-subsidy-duties-on-chinese-e-bikes/

Hnl3

Jan 19, 2019
You should read about anti-dumping duty on the pedelec forum.
You are likely to be caught in the trap. The rate is 87% anti-dumping plus about 20% for countervailing value duty (anti-subsidy duty). 20% VAT is then added on top.
Forget about importing it directly.
I have to assemble all my bikes in Southend since anti dumping duty got imposed on all Chinese e-bikes.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/news/eu-imposes-anti-dumping-and-anti-subsidy-duties-on-chinese-e-bikes/
Is the Mate X. Danish company subject to the same? They did say will be shipping direct from the factory in Asia. So it might get flagged as the same..... hmmmm

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is the Mate X. Danish company subject to the same? They did say will be shipping direct from the factory in Asia. So it might get flagged as the same..... hmmmm
you answered your own question. Just ask them.

Reactions: Hnl3