Moderator reveiw

Spinalot

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Sheffield, United Kingdom
I just tried to respond to a post in the bike reviews section and when I clicked post I got a message saying a moderator needs to review it first. Is this only for the review section or am I being gagged for some reason?

Spinalot

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
hmmm I just tried to post

"Test Hmmmmm " in that thread and it did it again. Why are posts being moderated in such a way on that forum with no sticky telling us why? I feel infringed!

D

Deleted member 4366

Your posts will appear in about a month's time. Sometimes sooner if you're lucky.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The reason for moderation is to try to prevent the posting of "spoiler" reviews, fake ones done by rival suppliers. These fake reviews are a common problem on many websites and currently the source of problems in hotel review sites.

Your review will appear in due course, though the delay is sometimes a bit long.

Spinalot

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
The reason for moderation is to try to prevent the posting of "spoiler" reviews, fake ones done by rival suppliers. These fake reviews are a common problem on many websites and currently the source of problems in hotel review sites.

Your review will appear in due course, though the delay is sometimes a bit long.
But mine is not a review, it is a response to a review by someone else. To my mind that is gagging, and not free speech.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
But mine is not a review, it is a response to a review by someone else. To my mind that is gagging, and not free speech.
I posted a response in there and got the same thing - but my post appeared on the thread the following day. Must have somehow managed to avoid saying something inappropriate :eek:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi all,

the Reviews needs an overhaul. As Flecc said, we introduced a delay to try and prevent a member posting a glowing review for a bike they had for three days and then disappear shortly after.

We thought about a minimum post count but this depends on what someone writes about in those posts. For some reviews it is quite clear early on that they are genuine, should these get held up until they've made 30 posts for example?

Also, originally the plan was for just the reviews to appear in the review forum. Any further discussion should take place in the main forum. But we do have a number of reviews where we do have discussion in the same thread.

I did purchase an add-on for the site called 'iReviews' which I suppose is a little bit like a TripAdvisor style review system. But we had some problems with the site being hacked (not due to iReviews though) so I disabled it until I had more time to look at it.

We are currently building a new Bike Finder/Directory which will be launched in a few weeks time as part of a new front-end to the site. The front-end will no longer be vBulletin-based. We could add reviews later on to this part of the site, but there is a hurdle to overcome so that you can use your forum login on the main site too.

Alternatively, we stick with iReviews and I spend some time getting this right. I'm all ears if anyone has any suggestions.

Spinalot

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
It appears my post did pop up on the thread about an hour later..
Still can't see yours there spin a lot?..

Cheers for making us aware Russ.

Regards
Martin
Nope mine is still not up. I only expanded a little on some of the things the OP made as I have one of the bikes he was talking about.
I did plan on doing my own review of my bike but not until I have it fully working after getting a new charger and battery back from 50C. Unfair to review it until it is all as it should be.

Advertisers