More cyclotricity problems

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Riding home tonight, their is a small kick from the back wheel when i put it into level 5 assist, then a few seconds later, it cuts out. LCD is showing normal display.

I restarted everything and all seems fine for a couple of miles, then everything dies. The LCD has a faded display showing error 3. I keep trying to restart the system, sometimes it shows error 6, but most often error 3.

So, its 7 miles with no power, like dragging a trailer!

Got home and tried a spare lcd panel, same thing.
Checked charge on battery...depending on how I angel the battery, it shows either around 50 volts, or non at all. If i position it in the angle it would be on the bike...0 volts.

Battery buggered maybe?

I do have a spare controller lying around..is it worth trying that...Im waiting for a callback from cyclotricity. Looks like another week with no bike ahead.

D

Deleted member 4366

I would concentrate on the battery to solve the problem. It's almost impossible to diagnose without having the battery to test. Ideally, you need a wattmeter or voltmeter between the battery and te controller so that you can see what's happening to the voltage and current in real time.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Didint fancy stripping all the wiring out to get to the controller.
I'll jsut have to wait to see what cyclotricity say when the yget back to me.

Tomorrow, Im going to use the mrs mountain bike and pedal it. Hopefully it shouldnt be too hard for 15 miles mostly flat. Weighs probably less than half mine.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
That does sound more like a battery or electrical connection problem.
voltage on battery should be the same which ever way the battery is at?

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
That does sound more like a battery or electrical connection problem.
voltage on battery should be the same which ever way the battery is at?
I think something is loose inside the battery case for it to behave like that. Dont want to open it up because its under warranty still. I notice that before this, when you pressed the battery power button, you get like a response..almost a buzz...hard to explain, but that doesnt happen now when you turn it on.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Tomorrow, Im going to use the mrs mountain bike and pedal it. Hopefully it shouldnt be too hard for 15 miles mostly flat. Weighs probably less than half mine.
Wont be trying this again in a rush.

Felt like I was going slower than walking, and it wasnt easy. Did half the journey then locked the bike up and jumped on the tram!
Obviously not as fit as I thought

• :D
Reactions: Fish2 and Woosh

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
The 7 mile journey home was horrendous. Average speed 10 mph. Who invented bikes without electric!!

Never again.

As for my stealth problem. Had contact from Cyclotricity this morning saying details had been passed to the head engineer and they would get back to my and treat as a priority as I commute.

Deja vu

No reply by 5pm, so I emailed to be told they hadnt heard back from the engineer and would chase first thing in the morning.
So, another never again. Buy from Cyclotricity that is.

I really need to find a local store who can offer local service for the next bike.
The Oxygen could be a problem as if i go the C2W option, it would come from ebikes direct in kent. I can buy it myself more locally, so that may have to be the option.

Im also going to the opening of 50cycles in Altrincham to have a look, but i think most bikes will be above my price range, but you never know.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Your proposed use is quite hard on any bicycle.

You've had two or three Chinese ebikes all of which have done exactly what that type of bike does - fall apart under any significant use.

That you are considering buying another such contraption is a triumph of hope over expectation.

Not that's there's an easy answer.

A Bosch/Yamaha/Shimano crank powered bike may stand up to the job better, at least the electrics wouldn't go phut at the first drop of rain.

D

Deleted member 4366

That you are considering buying another such contraption is a triumph of hope over expectation.

Not that's there's an easy answer.

A Bosch/Yamaha/Shimano crank powered bike may stand up to the job better, at least the electrics wouldn't go phut at the first drop of rain.
Yeah - like Damian's Cube.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that may - but can you give Andy B a guarantee?
I have sold a fair few bikes to commuters and as far as I can tell, derestriction is my biggest problem, not rain water.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
So, is the general consensus that Im asking too much of a bike, unless I spend in the £000's?

I guess the route I have been doing for the last 9 months or so is quite hard, a lot of it is dirt tracks and bumpy gravel towpaths. The dirt tracks being mostly pure mud during the winter, but finally drying out now.

The new route, although 5 miles longer, will be a lot smoother for the bike. Its almost all either roads or cycle paths, which are purpose built. The part that goes through woods is actually very smooth cycle paths. There is one section about half a mile or so long which resembles part of my current route.

Ive tested the whole new route, in 3 stages taking the bike on the back of the car as there wpouldnt be enough range to do the whole route there and back in one go. Im sure it will be a lot lighter on the bike.Because it is a lot smoother, it should use a lot less power to get a good average speed going, so no need for the pace that the stealth offered.

It may appear that I dont look after my bikes when you think I have had 3 in the last year, but that couldnt be further from the truth. I spend hours looking after them and maintaining, admittedly my knowledge has improved over time on what needs doing.

So, is it the distance that Im covering that will cause problems with the bike, or something else? I was really hoping that the Oxygen MTB would be more than up to the job as that really is the top of my budget at the moment, but maybe thats a bad idea.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
that may - but can you give Andy B a guarantee?
I have sold a fair few bikes to commuters and as far as I can tell, derestriction is my biggest problem, not rain water.
I think I eliminated the potential rain water problem, at least on the wiring, controller and lcd by good usage of self amalgamating tape...a tip i picked up on here :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you need to spend a bit more and go for a bosch motor ect as the bikes you are looking at have bottom of the range everything like a toys r us bike with a motor and batt.

nothing on it will last very long given the amount of miles you cover a year and others have done 1000s of miles on them with no problems.

add the bike up in the bits it is made from parts wise and you will see what i mean.;)

a decent set off fox forks is 1000 quid for this years ones ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
you need to spend a bit more and go for a bosch motor ect as the bikes you are looking at have bottom of the range everything like a toys r us bike with a motor and batt.

nothing on it will last very long given the amount of miles you cover a year and others have done 1000s of miles on them with no problems.

add the bike up in the bits it is made from parts wise and you will see what i mean.;)

a decent set off fox forks is 1000 quid for this years ones ;)
Fair enough.
Ill have to do some reading up on bosch and yamaha, as I know very little about them.
There a a few around the 2k mark on 50 cycles, so may take a closer look at those when i visit. If I can get the stealth to make it to august or september, i could go up to that figure...probably not quite what you are suggesting, but could make a difference?

Advertisers