Motor spinning - wheel not turning - ezee torq

jeffridj

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 2, 2015
Hi, I have an Ezee torq with a 17.5a/h 36 volt battery and am very pleased with its performance up to now. Tonight I decided to change the tyres and tubes which I did, but in the process one of the connectors on the cable for the hub motor came off. I replaced the connector (all the colours are matched correctly) and now the motor spins but the wheel doesn't rotate. It almost seems like it is going backwards. I have opened the motor and all the gears etc look fine with no broken teeth or anything. Anyone have any idea of what could have gone wrong?

D

Deleted member 4366

Some controllers have an initialisation routine, where they try and figure out how to work the motor, but it can't tell whether the motor is going backwards or forwards. I've had them spin backwards after disconnecting the motor. I normally swap two of the phase wires, try it, then put them back and try it again. That normally fixes it. Don't use more than a little bit of throttle because your motor is effectively stalled like that.

The other possibility is a stuck clutch, but that's only a possibility if you did something that would stick it.

jeffridj

Sep 2, 2015
Thanks for the quick reply - i will try again in the morning and see what happens.

jeffridj

Sep 2, 2015
I have tried every combination of the 3 phase wires and the only way the motor turns at all is with the proper arrangement of yellow to yellow, blue to blue and green to green. I have removed the hub cover and can clearly see the motor is spinning the wrong direction. I have swapped phase wired then powered and put back to normal and repowered but nothing seems to work. Starting to pull my hair out now - help please!

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Presumably it a sensored motor? If that's the case then you will have also have change the hall sensor connections in accordance.

D

Deleted member 4366

He shouldn't have to change anything because it was working before. Some controllers have a reverse switch or pair of jumper wires. You didn't touch anything there did you, Jeff. If not, you only have to persuade it to start going the other way. If all else fails, you can do it by swapping the yellow and green phase wires and yellow and blue hall wires. When I did that with one controller it still went backward, but when I put the wires back, it ran correctly.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have removed the hub cover and can clearly see the motor is spinning the wrong direction.
The motor should spin in the "wrong" direction, it's actually the right direction since the epicylic reverses the drive into the hub.

Therefore this seems like the clutch is slipping, rather than any electrical fault.

D

Deleted member 4366

No, the planetary gears and rotor actually spin backwards, but the clutch with the three gears on it goes in the direction of the wheel. It's the clutch assembly you see when you pull the motor out of the hub.

Perhaps OP can clarify what he saw?

jeffridj

Sep 2, 2015
Fixed - thanks to everyone who replied, it's only your comments that gave me the will to carry on. I decided to write down all the combinations of the phase wires (6 combinations) and try each one and tick them off. The 5th combination worked. Controller blue to motor yellow, controller green to motor blue and controller yellow to motor green. I must have missed this combination out when I tried before. I future ill write it down or take a picture before I assume it's straight colour to colour. Thanks again, I think I'll go out for a ride now! In case anyone is looking to re-cell their ezee torq battery, I had mine done with Samsung cells up to 17.4 a/h with a charger for around £300 from http://www.bga-reworking.co.uk/contact/ ask for Jimmy.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I must have missed this combination out when I tried before.
I'd assumed yours was a modern Torq which hopefully had matching colours so didn't suggest these colour combinations. In fact as far back as 2006 they were the norm on Torqs and ever since have had them published on my Torq website on this link.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, the planetary gears and rotor actually spin backwards, but the clutch with the three gears on it goes in the direction of the wheel. It's the clutch assembly you see when you pull the motor out of the hub.

Perhaps OP can clarify what he saw?
The OP said he removed the hub cover and saw the motor spin backwards. With that cover removed the only moving part that can be seen is the rotor, spinning backwards as I said. As you know, the clutch etc are on the blind side within the hub shell.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

The OP said he removed the hub cover and saw the motor spin backwards. With that cover removed the only moving part that can be seen is the rotor, spinning backwards as I said. As you know, the clutch etc are on the blind side within the hub shell.
You can't run it like that because the wire comes through the cover. The cover comes off with the motor core still attached.

jeffridj

Sep 2, 2015
hi d8veh - it was as flecc said, I ran it with the cover off and the stator still in the housing. By backwards I simply meant that it was spinning the opposite way to the way it should spin :) Very impressed with your website flecc - thank you.

Reactions: flecc

Advertisers