Motorised front wheel (hub) nuts coming loose

my.motion

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2009
Hi Team,

My front wheel nuts always come loose after a couple of days . The two nuts( holding the motor wheel in the fork) come loose but luckily don't fall off the hub.

I have tried tightening the nuts as hard as possible, but after a couple of rides both left hand side and rhs side nuts (17mm) come loose.

I have all the troque arms and washers installed.

Is there any more protection I can add for safety and peace of mind please?

Thanks and Regards

Motion

my.motion

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2009
thanks. I havenot used the stuff before, where can I get it, and how does it help pls? Do I need to re apply once the wheel if taken out for repairs or puncture repairs?

Thnx

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
Most car accessory shops, halfords, model shops or engineering supplies stock it. Yes it does need to be reapplied each time the nuts are loosened.
There are two type's blue and red. Red is more permanent and is a little more difficult to undo[may require gentle heating to release]
You could try the blue first and if unsuccesful try the red. Threads must be free of grease or oil. Its a type of glue or sealing compound.
Another option you could try is changing your nuts for Nyloc's. These have a nylon locking ring that grips the thread.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I`d be more inclined to investigate just why 17mm nuts, tightened up are coming loose. There has got to be something slightly amiss for them to come undone.
When you consider quick release axles normally hold fast with fairly low torqe a 17mm nut with a reasonable amount of torqe should hold up a building. Not wishing to put you down in any way but were they the nuts supplied with the hub? are they domed nuts ( block ended) and are they the correct thread pitch or maybe worn threads?

I wouldn`t ride the bike till you get it sorted, I had a front wheel drop out when I was young and stupid and the grazes on my face took weeks to heal:eek: