MudStop and Motors

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
At Performance Line Bearings, we are now the UK supplier for "MudStop". The Bosch bearing cover developed by Velo Lab. This is a product that has been proven to greatly extend the useful life of the Bosch main motor bearing.
We have also added complete Bosch motors to our site. These currently available without the need for exchange. If you are an ebike hire company or shop that require a spare to keep customers happy, this maybe the answer?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so can i buy a motor if i want one ?

Reactions: Bearing Man

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Not from Bosch, but I currently have zero mile motors in stock, they are new but may have slight cosmetic damage (hence the price)

Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
a guy in Germany sells them for about the same price but he lists what size wheels they came off so 27.5 29 ect.

can you change this or will need a motor with the same size wheels i have?

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
As it says on my site, I ask people to state wheel size when ordering. I have 27.5 and 29" in stock.

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Update: As we are now fully Bosch qualified, we can set the required motor perimeters and software updates.

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
I just ordered one of these "MudStop" covers today. I've done 650km in wet Cairngorms conditions and all off road so decided to strip down the R/H side, remove the cranks, thoroughly clean everything up and see what wear there was. These are my findings:
1- the "green Bosch grease" I packed into the void behind the circlip on the crankshaft was dirty on the exterior but like new once I'd removed the circlip and carefully cleaned out the void with cotton buds- so this is working well and has been packed out with the same grease.
2- the thin O ring was in bad shape. Fitted new one on reassembling.
3- 16T sprocket is showing marked signs of wear on the drive edge of the teeth (chain is still not 0.5% stretched)
4- Removed the Bosch seal and all looks well- cleaned it all up, regreased and refitted a new dirt seal. Assembled it all back together.
I then looked up Performance Line Bearings to see if Pete was selling an alternative to the "green grease" as I'd used up a small tube on 2 assemblies- to find this product "MudStop"
This is my main area of concern- the dust seal from Bosch is better than nothing but the plastic spins against the alloy casing and surely over time must wear the outer edge? I'd already planned a 600km service as a regular thing and see it as a weak point (though much better than no seal at all!)
So I ordered one today and shall refrain from using the bike until it arrives as it will then just need swapped over not cleaned up. Seems a much better design god knows why Bosch never did it, and it's a pity nothing similar for the LH/ crankshaft/casing is available. I'm considering putting on a new 16T sprocket at this time while I'm at it....?

Reactions: Bearing Man

Itchy99

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 19, 2019
Hi Barrio,

Be interested to know how he mudstop works out if you can post a follow up?
I was going to get one but baulked at he purchase price - when I got my bike I took the cranks off and packed everything with grease (marine grease) as you described above. Given the crappy weather lately I took the cranks off last night (450k since greasing) and was pleased to see the grease holding up well. So cleaned it all, repacked the grease and fitted the original Bosch dustseals etc etc and all seems well. Saying that I am just tempted to take the hit and fit a mudstop as most of my rides involve a few stream crossings and I would rather stop any potential bearing damage sooner rather than later!

Interesting comment on the 16t sprocket - I suppose it is bound to wear faster given the small tooth count. I guess you could try a new one and if the chain slips then refit the old 16t. Then you have s new spare when the whole drivetrain is shot!

Ta
Rich

Reactions: Barrio Barranco

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
I've got about 10 of the Bosch ones but could sell them on Ebay. They're about £2 each. I suppose this company has had to probably copy the Bosch design then add to it , then have them made and try and make a profit. If it prolongs the life it's probably worth it but it's always raining here. puddles and shallow streams to bike through as there's no bridges often.
I just hope the chain doesn't foul it in the lowest gear as the clearances look tight enough. Will check it all before using it but wondering now if I maybe need another spacer ring to move the sprocket away from the crankcase?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the problem with this is it will get crud under were it meets the motor case and when that happens it will just grind the plastic away esp in wet muddy conditions. id def put some grease in that outer ring that goes over the motor casing.

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Yeah I did wonder about that too SW but then at least it's moving the issue further away from the bearing? The whole lot will be getting greased up fully before assembly ...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
I've got the Bosch grease and after seeing how clean the grease between the crankshaft and driveshaft was I won't be using any there next service. Small price to pay for preventitive maintenance ... no different to me than chain lube and mo94 and muc off

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
I just ordered one of these "MudStop" covers today. I've done 650km in wet Cairngorms conditions and all off road so decided to strip down the R/H side, remove the cranks, thoroughly clean everything up and see what wear there was. These are my findings:
1- the "green Bosch grease" I packed into the void behind the circlip on the crankshaft was dirty on the exterior but like new once I'd removed the circlip and carefully cleaned out the void with cotton buds- so this is working well and has been packed out with the same grease.
2- the thin O ring was in bad shape. Fitted new one on reassembling.
3- 16T sprocket is showing marked signs of wear on the drive edge of the teeth (chain is still not 0.5% stretched)
4- Removed the Bosch seal and all looks well- cleaned it all up, regreased and refitted a new dirt seal. Assembled it all back together.
I then looked up Performance Line Bearings to see if Pete was selling an alternative to the "green grease" as I'd used up a small tube on 2 assemblies- to find this product "MudStop"
This is my main area of concern- the dust seal from Bosch is better than nothing but the plastic spins against the alloy casing and surely over time must wear the outer edge? I'd already planned a 600km service as a regular thing and see it as a weak point (though much better than no seal at all!)
So I ordered one today and shall refrain from using the bike until it arrives as it will then just need swapped over not cleaned up. Seems a much better design god knows why Bosch never did it, and it's a pity nothing similar for the LH/ crankshaft/casing is available. I'm considering putting on a new 16T sprocket at this time while I'm at it....?
Excellent post Barrio, at Performance Line Bearings, we have been packing the crank bearings and main motor bearing for some time now and although the original Bosch silicone grease helped for a while, it picked up dirt and disappeared over time. The new Bosch "green" grease is definitely an improvement. We also smear the outside of these bearings before fitting them and this seals the small gap between the bearing and the motor casing.
I too had the same concerns about the MudStop wearing through the motor case, I deliberated a lot before deciding they were a good product. I spoke at length to the manufacturer and fitted one before going ahead. The fact that these are officially approved and recommended by Bosch helped. Basically, there is a fair gap between the MudStop and the motor case, and when you fit it the grease squeezes out, right to the outer edge and seals it well. If grit does get behind it, all it does is takes the paint off the case. The case at this point is very thick and even in the worst possible conditions, I can't ever see it wearing through the motor case. Plus the fact that we have literally hundreds of motor cases, so if a product I was selling caused damage, I would give someone a case for free.
Just for your information, I'm sure the green grease Bosch use is Motorex Bike Grease 2000. I have tried this grease against the Bosch grease and can find no difference between them?
As Itchy99 said, please give us an update in 600km .

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Thanks Pete-Been trying to find a UK supplier of the grease you mention with no luck whatsoever. Best site seems to be Bike24 and at 9 Euro for 100g or 25 Euro for 850g I'd go with the latter. Used them before I think Wiggle/CRC own them now so legit (unlike that dubious "Lordgun bicycles" I reckon- drop-ship/boilerhouse operation written all over them!)

Itchy99

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 19, 2019
Just gone and bought a mudstop yesterday - thought in the grand scheme of things that a few quid on preventative maintenance is worth it. It does look like a minor bit of dremelling might be needed on the plastic motor case to fit though.

I've a number of big bike days in the SW and Wales coming up and given the rain lately, anything to keep the bearings dry is a bonus!

On another note, given the introduction of the new Bosch motor it will be interesting to see how long official support for the 'old' model continues. Or do I start stocking up on spares now...

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
My one turned up today- fitted it no problems and it does look like a worthy upgrade to me, wiped off any excess grease from the area once pressed into place, and spinning the driveshaft/sprocket there's no friction off of anything.
I know what I'm like- curiosity will get the better of me and I'll probably have a look under it once it's had a few manky outings!

Related Articles

Advertisers