MudStop and Motors

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Just gone and bought a mudstop yesterday - thought in the grand scheme of things that a few quid on preventative maintenance is worth it. It does look like a minor bit of dremelling might be needed on the plastic motor case to fit though.

I've a number of big bike days in the SW and Wales coming up and given the rain lately, anything to keep the bearings dry is a bonus!

On another note, given the introduction of the new Bosch motor it will be interesting to see how long official support for the 'old' model continues. Or do I start stocking up on spares now...
Bosch should support the old motors for 10 years, but you can't stock up on parts because they don't sell any apart from the service kit. You can only buy an exchange motor. Or you can always contact us if it's bearings or any other internal parts.

Itchy99

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 19, 2019
Keeping plenty of spare parts is a weakness of mine. My spares cupboard still has bits for 7 and 8 speed bikes.
Which is fine and dandy, but I got rid of the bikes years ago!

Reactions: Barrio Barranco

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
I've already got 4 sprockets, 4 chains, 16 SRAM 10spd powerlocks, 4 Bosch Driveshaft o rings, brake pads, replacement gears 6,7,8(£26- whole cassette is £300...!!), motor to frame gaskets(2) cos I knew one day I'll have the motor out, spare wheel magnet, spare mech hanger for KTM... prepper at heart lol but some things are worth having around and a lot of stuff isn't held in stock so if you really need it you may have to wait! It's beating inflation too lol!

Reactions: Itchy99

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Not been the best of summers but I'm over 1000km and the chain isn't near the 0.5% wear.... not a grumble from the Bosch either. Just ordered another "Mud Stop" for the missuses bike- she won't do what I do we have our days out and try and mix it up but that should be even better for seeing how they fare... My chain and front sprocket must be up for change eventually- I'll let you know what the outcome is !!!

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Finally got round to putting something together for the MudStop. Hopefully this will alleviate any fears.

Attachments

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Thanks for that Pete- maybe another showing fitting of the crankshaft seal would be good too? I fitted Lauras one and used a piece of wire 1mm wide (the really stiff wires that they seal your main 100A fuse in your electrical cupboard to show it hasn't been tampered with and has no rough edges)down the inside of the seal against the crankshaft to vent the pressure behind and unlike my one this tapped into place a doddle and the wire pulled out no problem.....
(I revisited your strip down/assembly video of the CX and realise now after the pressure you had to use with your press, to pop both the RHS crankshaft bearing with the clutch roller bearing(?) that the tapping I was doing would not have moved either!

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Thanks for that Pete- maybe another showing fitting of the crankshaft seal would be good too?
No problem. I did this for both the seal and MudStop together.

Attachments

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
At Performance Line Bearings, we are now the UK supplier for "MudStop". The Bosch bearing cover developed by Velo Lab. This is a product that has been proven to greatly extend the useful life of the Bosch main motor bearing.
We have also added complete Bosch motors to our site. These currently available without the need for exchange. If you are an ebike hire company or shop that require a spare to keep customers happy, this maybe the answer?
How much do CX replacement motors cost. My mate has a £200+ bill coming up for bearing replacement and fitting since he does not have the necessary presses at home. Curious as to what a new motor costs.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
How much do CX replacement motors cost. My mate has a £200+ bill coming up for bearing replacement and fitting since he does not have the necessary presses at home. Curious as to what a new motor costs.
Lot cheaper to get the motor fixed than buy a new one, that's for sure :)

Reactions: soundwave

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Curious as to what a new motor costs.
No sure where I got it from, but a figure of £800 is stuck in my mind.

aside:
If anything happens to our Motus (old Active Line from 2016), Bearing Man will be our first port of call. We haven't had any issues with the motor yet, but even so I am very unlikely to buy a Bosch driven bike again. With luck our current bikes won't need to be replaced at all; but it does seem that the useful life of an e-bike is much lower than that of a regular bike.

Related Articles

Advertisers