My brakes don't like getting wet

thunderblue

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2009
Manchester
Hi, can anybody help? My brakes squeal really loudly, but only when it is wet.:eek: Has anybody got any ideas about what is causing this and how to stop it? They are absolutely fine when it is dry.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Hi - Im assuming you have rim brakes rather than discs (different solutions).
If it's rim brakes then its probably your brake blocks, some of them do that embarrassingly loudly. Try changing to a block designed for the wet - most of them grip better in the dry also :).
Phil

thunderblue

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2009
Manchester
Thanks Phil

yes, they are rim brakes. Any suggestions as to what type of block or where to get them from. I always thought a brake block was a brake block .... I obviously have a lot to learn :eek:

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Try Kool Stops. Don't be put off by the 'mountain' label, they are fine on any bike. They are probably the best blocks you can get, although a little pricier than many they are, IMHO worth it. The 'salmon' ones are best in poor condidions.
linK:-
Kool Stop Mountain Pair Of Brake Blocks Only £8.99
There really is a wealth of difference between a good and bad brake pad. Incidentally, the braking surface of your rim is also an important factor, as is brake set-up, but changing the former is not a practical solution for most people.
Hope this helps.
Phil

thunderblue

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2009
Manchester
Thanks Phil - I've just ordered some. Hopefully I'll be bale to creep upon unsuspecting pedestrians again soon. The squeal was so loud it worked better than a air horn :D

Lloyd

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
Brake squeal on rim brakes is usually the 'toe in' angle of the pad. Toe in is the adjustment of the pad so that the front of the pad hits the rim slightly before the rear. When a brake squeals real bad it is usually because the pad is hitting centrally or rear end first, and when it does so on a rotating wheel this causes the pad to vibrate, and you get the horrible noise that I can only describe as a hybrid between Chewbacca screaming and someone with large fingernails running them down a blakboard.

Sometimes this can be only audible in the wet (or worse), due to the water helping the pad slip on contact thus vibrate even more.

This is also why Koolstops seem to work so well, as some have an inbuilt 'claw' at the front of the pad, which means they naturally toe-in. This also helps clear water from the rim as the pad contacts.

If you take ur old pads off, clean ur rim, rough the pad up with a file or similar, and refit it using a credit card under the rear of the pad when tightening so it naurally toes-in, you should notice a great improvement. Also with a pad toe'd-in you will notice the brake is more progressive, ie a bit more squidge at the lever, as opposed to feeling like pulling on wood.

One other thing worth checking is that there is no play in your actual brake cantilevers. Play in them will again cause vibration, and out comes Chewbacca with his fingernails again :eek:

If all of those methods fail, either disconnect your brakes or turn up your ipod :D

Howabout discs?

I have the same problem, but on the disc on the front. Squeals like a three year old being denied ice cream. :) Any suggestions? On a motorbike I'd think it was the quality of the pad...

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I have the same problem, but on the disc on the front. Squeals like a three year old being denied ice cream. :) Any suggestions? On a motorbike I'd think it was the quality of the pad...
You can also align the caliper slightly, it stopped mine.

Lloyd

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
Disc calipers are totally different, as they use absorbant pads. Squealing on a disc brake means that the pads are contaminated. There is not much you can do for this other than replace the pads, and when you do make sure you clean the disc rotor too otherwise you'll just contaminate your new pads.

Absorbant pads don't like anything with detergent in them, or lubricant (stating the obvious but you would be amazed at how many times I have had to replace pads on discs due to lube geting on them). I just use water and a clean cloth to clean mine, but you can get disc brake cleaner (made by x-lite) if you don't like using elbow grease. :D. Watch out for most of these new 'bike cleaner' fluids, they may say 'disc friendly' on the label, but I am not a fan and always use just water.

I was at a race last week where part of the course went through a bar (great idea) and there was a DJ and lights and stuff (also a great idea) but then some bright spark decided to have a foam machine (bad idea). They created a wall of bubbles to ride through, which looked cool, but as soon as that stuff touched the discs it literally killed my pads. Came out of the bar, flew down the next part of the course, next corner, grab the brakes....uh-oh. Chewbacca piped up again and the performance of the brakes was non-existent. Luckily there was a none-to-friendly French rider who acted as my brakes instead :eek: I realised afterwards that it was the detergent in the bubble stuff that contaminated my pads.

Some people say that if you boil the pads in water they get better, but this is a bit of a myth. Easy way to check is to run ur finger round the disc rotor, and if there is any greasy deposit on your finger then it is not good.

thunderblue

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2009
Manchester
Thanks for the help

Well, 10 out of 10 to Wiggle - my new brake blocks arrived today. And 100 out of 10 to Phil and Lloyd for all their help and advice. I managed to fit the new blocks - more luck than judgement - and have just been out for a test ride. The brakes are super smooth and quiet, and maybe it is just my imagination, but they are better than before. I'll report back on the sound levels next time it rains. :D

I love my bike ....:D :D :D