n00b battery connection question

Megadevs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 1, 2021
Hello Pedelecs community,

I have a new battery for my Klaxon Mini wheelchair scooter attachment. Everything is fine except the bullet connectors are male-male for negative and female-female for positive. I'm guessing all I need to do is buy some new bullet connectors, cut the old connectors off and crimp on the new ones?

Am I on the right track? l am an ebike n00b!

Cheers
Dave

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
That's corect. However, as you're changing connectors anyway, try something much better and secure such as anderson power poles or xt30's.
The former are crimp connectors, the latter need soldering.
Alternatively, if you don't need to remove the battery, you could just solder connections together.
In both cases please be careful of polarity and not to short +ve and -Ve together.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hello Pedelecs community,

I have a new battery for my Klaxon Mini wheelchair scooter attachment. Everything is fine except the bullet connectors are male-male for negative and female-female for positive. I'm guessing all I need to do is buy some new bullet connectors, cut the old connectors off and crimp on the new ones?

Am I on the right track? l am an ebike n00b!

View attachment 57012

Cheers
Dave
You don't need connectors because the battery is removable. It will be quicker, safer, cheaper and more reliable to cut the connectors off and solder the wires.

Megadevs

Dec 1, 2021
Good point. I connected the wires with solder sleeves. It's all working fine - powers on. Kinda feel it's not the best solution though. I have no soldering experience. Maybe better to use xt60s or similar as simple to install?

Cheers

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Good point. I connected the wires with solder sleeves. It's all working fine - powers on. Kinda feel it's not the best solution though. I have no soldering experience. Maybe better to use xt60s or similar as simple to install?

Cheers
If you're no good at soldering, how are you going to solder on XT60s?

The technique to solder the wires together is to keep your soldering iron on the end of the wire while you feed in some solder. When the wire is saturated with solder. Remove your soldering iron from the wire, and not before. Do the same to both wires, then hold the two ends together and re-melt the solder so that it blends together. Don't be too quick to remove the iron. Afterwards, you can squish the joint down and remove any sharp points with pliers before sliding over the insulation.

It's much easier to solder wires than connectors and you only need to do half the number of joints. If ever you need to separate the wires in the future (unlikely), you can easily cut them and re-solder them.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Good job you noticed!

There's bound to be a capable soldering person somewhere nearby if you need one.

Pingk

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2023
Good job you noticed!

There's bound to be a capable soldering person somewhere nearby if you need one.
Better yet, ask them to teach you! I was fortunate enough to learn soldering in school, and I can count on one hand how many times I've needed to solder as an adult.

However I've been grateful every single time because I love the feeling of fixing/making my own stuff. Just like sewing a button or seam, I think it's just a super useful skill to have in your pocket.

Megadevs

Dec 1, 2021
Think I will invest in a good soldering iron and spend an afternoon practising some joints and come back to it then.

Thanks for all the help in general though. I just tested the new battery and it pulls like a motherfricker. Accelerates up steep hills instead of bogging down and tops out at 17mph which is 10% ish improvement. For a little 8" scooter, it's quite impressive. Altogether v happy

Reactions: Pingk

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm fairly new to soldering myself, but fortunately this forum is full of soldering experts. For battery to controller wires, large connectors... to start with, I found leaded solder easier:

...with flux:

This heats things up very rapidly:

Best to tin the tip before you start: