Need cheap batery charger

Apaw

Just Joined
Jun 10, 2023
Hi, iv recently brought an ez go folding bike from auction thinking it just needed a charger. Turned out also needed battery 36v 11ah. Anybody any ideas where i could get one at decent price as are really expensive at ez shop.any ideas would be really gratefull. Many thanks.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
If a battery seems expensive, it's usually because it's using decent, branded cells like LG, Samsung, or Panasonic.

If you're looking for a Chinese clone, you'll likely find something here, but without you showing us exactly what size/type/style/connectors you need it's difficult to say more.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi, iv recently brought an ez go folding bike from auction thinking it just needed a charger. Turned out also needed battery 36v 11ah. Anybody any ideas where i could get one at decent price as are really expensive at ez shop.any ideas would be really gratefull. Many thanks.
It's a standard Chinese ebike. You can use any battery you want however you can fit it. They normally come with chargers, and rack batteries come with the rack. Expect about £250.

Apaw

Just Joined
Jun 10, 2023
It's a standard Chinese ebike. You can use any battery you want however you can fit it. They normally come with chargers, and rack batteries come with the rack. Expect about £250.
Many thanks for your reply im going to try add more and pics if poss. But thanks for reply

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Charger is this one by looks of it

Battery here. Although different rating?

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Charger is this one by looks of it

Battery here. Although different rating?
They don't have a battery, so no point in getting a charger for the original battery, since the replacement will probably have a different socket. That battery and charger cost £400. You can buy a whole bike for that.

Reactions: Wayners

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
The expensive/branded ones don't set your house on fire

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
You can use any battery you want however you can fit it. They normally come with chargers, and rack batteries come with the rack.
No, I don't think the OP can use any battery they want. All EZEGo folding e-bikes use a sleeved rack mount battery which contains the controller, so ideally the OP needs one that fits the existing sleeve... which Yose do sell if the OP is clearer about which profile/connector block is being used.

Yose batteries don't come with the charger unless you add that as an option, and nearly all rear-rack batteries supplied with a rack are mostly designed for 26"-28" wheeled bikes, not 20" folders.

Yose have a 36v 10.4Ah sleeved rear-rack battery in UK stock which looks like it could be the right one to me for £145. A charger adds £13. I suggest Yose simply because many other members here have bought/are happy with their Yose batteries, but Ebay/Alibaba et al will likely have other options.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
The expensive/branded ones don't set your house on fire
You might assume that would be true but it really isn't. Despite the much smaller market penetration of high cost high end ebikes there has been a fair few issues and recalls, here is one below;

When you look at the average price of bikes sold including ebikes its only around £400-600 and doesn't allow for many high end ebikes overall in the market place as a percentage of ebikes sold yet you aren't seeing something like 200 cheaper ebike fires for every high end ebike fire which is what you would need for the same level of risk. Halfords have something like 40% of the UK bike market by volume, around 25p in every £1 spent on cycling in the UK is spent in Halfords and yet they do many low cost ebike models without any fire risk recalls so far I think. Last statistic I saw was 11% of all of their bike sales were ebikes. That's a huge number of ebikes out there many of which have retailed sub £1000.

Of course Halfords ebikes are full certified to sell in the UK and go through the correct testing.

I feel the real safety risk is from personally imported batteries i.e. aliexpress which aren't correctly certified, personally imported ebikes, e-scooters & hoverboards (which for some reason get mixed in with ebikes in news reports) and of course home ebike conversions. Then of course there is user error which seems to make up a lot of fires anyway and can affect any ebike of any price point. I actually feel there is less fire risk with many of the cheaper fully certified ebikes simply because they aren't stressing the cells of the battery like mid-drive motors which have very high current demands when hill climbing.

I really don't think it's as simple as price in fact when you look at standard bicycles there are much greater safety issues with more expensive performance bicycles. Often these are made to be lightweight so you end up with carbon fibre which has been a huge cause of product recalls. It's hard to think of a single manufacturer that hasn't had a carbon fibre fork recall. Making products to be lightweight often reduces their strength and durability, lowers weight limits and if you read a Instruction Manual from brands like Giant they actually give warnings about being a weaker and shorter life product for their performance bicycles.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
The statistics of which model sold more of doesnt matter when one of those in the two bike equation has a habit of exploding in a fireball engulfing the house.

And while the Spesh ones did a recall, there is no instance of any of them burning down someones home and killing the family
It is also a bit one sided when you need to pull up an example that is 4 years old. Whereas the fires caused by dodgy batteries/chargers on the cheap imported bikes today are in fact today 2023.

Last edited: