new.. battery problems :/

sueinuk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 12, 2016
Hi to all,
I bought an ebikes Harrier bike at the beginning of September and have used it lightly every week since then, but it's been standing for two weeks without being used as I've been too busy. I ahve had it on charge for the alst 5 hours and the charger light is green, but, it doesn't appear to ahve charged the battery at all and the green lights the battery had before I started the charge, have even disappeared now, and all I am getting is a row of red light still on the handlebars. Surely a battery if it hasn't been charged for two weeks, wouldn't end up useless would it? HELP :( All the wiring seems secure enough and hte battery is housed properly on the bike. I bought it dierct from the Ebikes home website

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
You could try checking the smaller of the two fuses in the battery. And some batteries need to be switched to their on position, for charging.

sueinuk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 12, 2016
You could try checking the smaller of the two fuses in the battery. And some batteries need to be switched to their on position, for charging.
ahhhhh thank you Bob... the instruction booklet, as with most of them these days is just not very explicit... will try again tomorrow with the battery switched to teh on position.. I am just flumoxed that the charger light started out red and then went to green after a few hours... but that's about all teh action I got from it :/ I assume once the battery is off the bike then the fuses are relatively easily accessible then?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bob has suggested the fuse check and turning the batt on when charging another thing to check is the charger it self.
Is it giving 42v when plugged in, check the output with a DVM.
My routine for charging is turn batt on, plug charger in to wall and turn on then connect to the battery.
This way the charger light goes green then red when plugged in to the batt and then green when charged and balanced.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Red lights on the handlebars is good. You're ready to go. The red lights go out as the battery goes down.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
ahhhhh thank you Bob... the instruction booklet, as with most of them these days is just not very explicit... will try again tomorrow with the battery switched to teh on position.. I am just flumoxed that the charger light started out red and then went to green after a few hours... but that's about all teh action I got from it :/ I assume once the battery is off the bike then the fuses are relatively easily accessible then?
If your charger started with a red light, then turned green after a few hours, and all the battery indicator lights are showing on the handlebars, then everything should be fine.

As Dave says, red lights at the handlebar display is a good thing.

Check if the charger gets warm next time you charge - that would be a good thing too.

Also, some batteries need to be switched on before their integrated display will show their charge state. Try switching it on before you check the battery lights (and before checking any fuses).

Last edited: