new belfast ebiker

Ninjajebus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 20, 2015
Hi,
After maybe a month of lurking I thought I'd better introduce myself! I'm Paul from Belfast and have just got myself a 250W bbs01 kit I've just mounted to an old bike just for my commute to work. I'm still young enough that I should be able to pedal the 10 or 11 miles each way, but the hill at the end of the day breaks me so I made the plunge. The plan is by starting out on an electric bike I should build up my fitness until I don't need one (fingers crossed!).
At the moment I've the battery on the water bottle holder but I really like the CubeSL road bike by mfj197 in the reviews section so the battery will probably end up in the panniers. I've a couple of questions after mounting the motor though... I mounted it to an old rustyish bike so it doesn't look like much to others, but the cabling is a bit visible still does anyone have any tips or links on disguising it (other than a couple of plastic bags). Also, has anyone else done the same as I and mounted a motor onto a "rat" bike?
Finally, I left on the chain guide because I've heard it helps prevent the chain falling off when changing gears but to do so I've had to leave on the middle gear lever as it's spring loaded and will go back in to the seat post and pull the chain off with it. Does anyone have a nice solution for this?

I've still to take it out on the road as I've to change the brake cables, as they were pretty rusty so it'll probably be next weekend by the time I get out for a proper spin. I'm pretty psyched though, it should be a lot of fun!!
Paul

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Paul, welcome.
The front changer should have a pair of limit screws. One to stop it going too far to the outside, the other to stop it going too far to the inside. I'm guessing that the spring bias on the derailier moves it to the smaller rings (inside). Adjust this screw so that the derailier keeps the chain on the ring you want. Then you can disconnect the changer cable and remove the changer lever.
Hope that make sense.

Reactions: Ninjajebus

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
To be complete if the screw isn't long enough to keep the cage in the correct place for the new chainline you can put a longer one in.

Reactions: Ninjajebus