New bike, motor towed up steep hill.

Allyjr

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2019
Hi,
I have bought a pendleton somerby electric, which I love and have been out on it, for the first time, today.
For the most part it sailed along and is perfect for me but when I reached a longer, steeper hill, it became quite difficult (but not impossible), to keep going. The motor slowed almost to a stop. I think I was in 1st gear, on the most help you can get button, am 12 stones and the hill was long and 421 elevation gain ( if that helps! I'm clueless).
I couldn't afford a more expensive bike and it is what it is but do you think I may have ridden it incorrectly somehow?

Any ideas would be very welcome

Thanks Ally

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You will have done little wrong, it will boil down to the motor quality and controller power/amp draw. No all hub motors are the same and some are stronger and better then others, these usually have a 20a controller and deliver 500 odd watts in PAS 5.
Something like the BigBear (Woosh) has a very strong BPM hub and 20a controller and would go up at a comfortable lick.

Allyjr

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2019
Thanks Nealh, I know you mentioned the big bear and I have also tried the neomouv Artemis, which flew up the hill. Even though it was reasonable it was still a bit expensive for me
At least I'm not doing something wrong.
It was just slowing and whirring and was.going to come to a grinding halt so I stopped and went down hill instead lol.
I imagine it would eventually burn out?
Thanks very much for replying. I did also take I to consideration all the advise on another thread, it did just come down to finances.
On the smaller hills it cruises along brilliantly so will just try and avoid longer higher ones!
Thanks again Ally

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it just has a tiny motor and not meant for steep hills and just town riding.

what you want is one of these. :p

Allyjr

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2019
I'd be very dangerous! I am anyway on my own bike lol!
It sailed up the medium hills. I will have to go the long way round! At least I should lose weight! As long as I stop treating myself with cake for doing the exercise!!
Thanks for replying.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you are only 12st it will only go about 70mph if you up the amps in the software so you can eat as much as you want;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it would be classed as a motor bike but no one has had there bike taken yet! it does cost 10k tho.

but for a extra 40k you can get one of these, it is the fastest production electric bike you can buy atm.

Reactions: Allyjr

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I will have 2! slightly more powerful and expensive than my bike then!
it has a 150kw motor and can hit 218mph with a 20kwh batt, or 50 3kw tumble dryers :p

• :D
Reactions: Allyjr and Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ally you have answered your own question partly your self, a case of sticking to incline you know the bike can manage and leave the steeper one alone by finding another route.
Reason why other bikes price wise cost more better electrics/motor & battery and some bike components.
I think we have said before about hub bikes, all work in general but some do the same job much better then others because of the motor etc,etc fitted. Though not the bike itself that is any different but the quality and strength of motor and electronics used.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hub motors work best at 50-80% of their maximum speed. That means that going up hill they can become very inefficient, this is the whirring noise you described. If you can keep the road speed at 8mph or above you will avoid straining the motor. This will mean more effort from you. If you carry on riding it, probably, in a few months, you'll be able to get up this hill and take a breather at the top. After a year or so you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.
Enjoy the bike.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Causing the motor to slow down nearly to a stop is very bad for your whole electrical system. If you can, pedal harder. At first, it will be a struggle, but your legs will soon get stronger as long as you try. In the long term, both you and the bike will be better for it.

thirteen

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
West Sussex
I'd endorse pretty much what's been said above.

I took Mrs 13's Somerby-e up the Bostal hill locally (Nealh probably knows it) and it showed no distress, possibly because I kept it rolling. I know the hill from climbing it on a regular bike, and that it's less painful on body parts if you maintain a faster ( but definitely not fast) speed, regardless of what my lungs tell me.

Build up your speed and the Pendleton should serve you well up the inclines.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
One thing that goes against the Pendleton is the type of bike it is, the geometry isn't right for climbing ability. My wife's bike is similar to it (chinese "xiongying") and even upgraded to 48v which is 33% extra pull the only way I can climb anything steep on it is by standing. My Carrera I can sit through any hill, though admittedly the Carrera hub does have a bit more torque even as stock

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
the hill was long and 421 elevation gain ( if that helps! I'm clueless).
A bit of training and you'll be flying up proper hills like this one in the Yorkshire dales. ;)

Up past Dent station.
Edit title
E-Bike Segment
  • Distance2.06mi
  • Avg Grade9%
  • Lowest Elev744ft
  • Highest Elev1,756ft
  • Elev Difference1,012ft
  • Climb Category3

Last edited:

Allyjr

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2019
Thanks for all your replies. It really helps.
I went up the hill today again, to try and see if it happened again. Got to the flat part before it, geared to 1 and hit high power. My legs were going like the
clappers but I made sure not to stop pedalling at all. ( I have realised this is that thing I should do.on this bike as any slowing down or resting for a brief second, seems to then make the bike tow when starting up again.
Anyway! I got to the point I'd arrived at yesterday but today's was much better! Still slower than Artemis (.when I trialled the juicy bike which ploughed up a hill with no worries whatsoever), but we made.it!! Have ridden 10 miles today!!! I have fibromyalgia and other health issues and have done that. I'm so happy!!
Lol Artsu, that'll be the day! I wouldnt hold your breath!
Anyway! Thanks again, you've really all helped me understand how to ride it better.
My legs are burning but ny heads thinking I cant wait to get out again!
Cheers x
My 'God I'm gonna have to stop or I will die' spot! Lol i know it's not a hill by your standards but its chugging Mount Everest to me

Attachments

Reactions: Artstu and thirteen

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Thanks for all your replies. It really helps.
I went up the hill today again, to try and see if it happened again. Got to the flat part before it, geared to 1 and hit high power. My legs were going like the
clappers but I made sure not to stop pedalling at all. ( I have realised this is that thing I should do.on this bike as any slowing down or resting for a brief second, seems to then make the bike tow when starting up again.
Anyway! I got to the point I'd arrived at yesterday but today's was much better! Still slower than Artemis (.when I trialled the juicy bike which ploughed up a hill with no worries whatsoever), but we made.it!! Have ridden 10 miles today!!! I have fibromyalgia and other health issues and have done that. I'm so happy!!
Lol Artsu, that'll be the day! I wouldnt hold your breath!
Anyway! Thanks again, you've really all helped me understand how to ride it better.
My legs are burning but ny heads thinking I cant wait to get out again!
Cheers x
My 'God I'm gonna have to stop or I will die' spot! Lol i know it's not a hill by your standards but its chugging Mount Everest to me
Nice one, shortly before I got my bike I had a job to walk a couple of hundred yards due to illness, last week I rode that Dent station climb and think I did ok considering, it was raining at that point and I ascended into the clouds, so missed the lovely views too.

Advertisers