New commuter.

tomtag

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
Hi Everyone, I've just had a maiden voyage on a Trek MTB that I have turned into an e-commuter. I bought a MXUS XF08C kit and all has gone well so far, except having to butcher the PAS sensor, but this site has been a great source of info for the build process. I am a convert after a first test ride. ne question I do have though; if anyone could help is which actual motor I have. The part number on it is XF08C-0919-0015, I thought the the 09-19 could be a manufacture date, but is the 0015 an indication of the winding speed? The site I bought it from said 270rpm, but I didn't think that was a standard speed. Would anyone be able to tell me what speed motor I have please?
I ask because I seemed to be struggling to hit the max controller speed, it was windy & uphill; but just want to make sure there is nothing else limiting me.
Thanks to everyone for all the great info they put on here.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
how fast do you want to go and have you changed any settings in the LCD?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I ask because I seemed to be struggling to hit the max controller speed.
I can't answer the main part about motor details.

When you say max controller speed do you mean 15.5 mph?
You don't say how much effort you are putting in, or how steep the hill is.
You can look at link below to get an idea of what to expect.
That shows 10mph on an 8% slope with no help from you.

Lots of variables: XF08 is basically a rear hub XF07, but lots of other details (such as the one you asked about).
You can tweak things like total weight, battery, controller details.

tomtag

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
Thanks everyone, I haven't changed anything in the LCD settings, it is set to 25.5km/h as max, but seemed to be topping out at approx 23.5. I thought I was putting in a fair amount of effort but it was my first go, so wasn't too sure what to expect. I know a little about motors so was just interested to relate the motors nominal speed to the speed I am riding at. Does anyone know what the 0015 at the end of the part number indicates? From a bit of research I thought it may indicate a 201rpm motor but it was sold as 270rpm.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
don't worry about the motor's winding for now.
1. read the LCD manual
2. Make sure that the wheel diameter in the LCD is set correctly for your your wheels.
3. Change the maximum speed limit to 27km/h if you want to go a little faster.

For the motor winding, change the speed limit n the LCD to 40km/h, then lift the rear wheel up, use the throttle to see how fast it goes.
Change the speed limiter back to legal when finished.

tomtag

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
Thanks again, I think I have a different controller, a KT LCD5. I have the manual for that; but really just wanted to work out exactly what I bought. I will double check the relevant settings in the controller as well.

tomtag

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
I just tried running it with wheel off ground as you suggested Woosh, ran up to 32.5km/h which seems to equate to a 260rpm motor as I thought I had. Happy now; it must have been windier than I thought! Excellent forum & assistance :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that's the no load speed.
You get no assist at that speed. The practical useable speed is about 70% of noload speed, 25kph so it's a standard EAPC motor.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
that's the no load speed.
You get no assist at that speed. The practical useable speed is about 70% of noload speed, 25kph so it's a standard EAPC motor.
To substantiate that (in principle if not the very exact details) see
The efficiency (green line) peaks around 25kph; pretty much the same point as the driving speed of the unassisted motor (where the red power and black load lines cross)