New KTM hybrid

I saw a really nice KTM the other day, with a 46V battery and a new Panasonic rear hub, with a proper regen mode as well (which could be really handy as I do loads of hills).

Not sure of the model number, but has anyone seen, reviewed or had a go on one of these beasts?

D

Deleted member 4366

I volunteer if you need someone to test one (long-term test of course), as long as it doesn't have one of those seats that twang you in the pollacks.:D

Reactions: HelenJ

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
Dave, you should come over to the shop as we are only 45 mins away and you can have a play with a few different models/motor combinations....If you come over in 2 weeks , we will have some more of the 2014 Panasonic Crank variety in also. Bring your Teaching head though, as the intricacies of battery Technology still bamboozles me, and i'll be taking notes:)

D

Deleted member 4366

I might well do that, Martin. It's a shame you're just a bit too far for a cycle ride, I've done Bewdley a couple of times, which is about 75 miles IIRC, but you're a bit further over. Can't you move your shop a bit in the NW direction?

Biscuits will be fine with the tea. Don't worry about the cream cakes.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
There was a German review where it outperformed all other e bikes on test
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/new-ktm-estyle-p-2014-review-news-from-ktm.15825/
It would be great if Col at KTM could do a more definitive test, I know he first talked about commuting on the E-race, but I think the weather got the better of him.

There was talk in that article about two very different riders if I remember correctly, and the fittest was on the Panasonic hub drive.

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
I might well do that, Martin. It's a shame you're just a bit too far for a cycle ride, I've done Bewdley a couple of times, which is about 75 miles IIRC, but you're a bit further over. Can't you move your shop a bit in the NW direction?

Biscuits will be fine with the tea. Don't worry about the cream cakes.
There's usually some sort of confection in our shop...but never for long.
Give us a call before you come over to avoid a sugary disappointment....
Funny you mention Bewdley, as I live very close, and we did actually consider a move there to grab some of the Tourist footfall...unfortunately it's very difficult to find the right premises at the right place, and at the right price....with a nearby hill.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
That is a fair comment, only fair way to compare bikes is if the same person tests them all. I find that I have a quicker average speed with the Panasonic hub drive system than the Bosch. However not everyone one want 27 or 30 gears so many might prefer a Bosch with hub gears or 10 speed derailleur.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
That is a fair comment, only fair way to compare bikes is if the same person tests them all. I find that I have a quicker average speed with the Panasonic hub drive system than the Bosch. However not everyone one want 27 or 30 gears so many might prefer a Bosch with hub gears or 10 speed derailleur.
The comment came up in another thread, and I can't just find it, so I'm really in the wrong thread with this. Hopefully Col is reading and can try it out up here in the Pennines.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
I was not aware it was the case but if it was then I could not argue with it as it would make a difference if one person was fitter.

Although I remember the panasonic hub drive got good feed back from people who tested it at Redbridge so either way I think it is a good bike. In addition I do not believe one bike suits all people, it is about the right bike for the right person.

It would be great if Col at KTM could do a more definitive test, I know he first talked about commuting on the E-race, but I think the weather got the better of him.

There was talk in that article about two very different riders if I remember correctly, and the fittest was on the Panasonic hub drive.
I'm still commuting, I'm just using the standard road bike, so it not the weather :) its demand for our demo bikes. The e-Race P is with MBR magazine for a month or so, and our eCross P was with eCyclist and then got trashed by the courier on the way back so we're waiting for a new wheel. The other panasonic bikes are with dealers.

As soon as one is back here I'll commute again on one of them and compare with the Bosch equipped bike, and try to give some feedback.

However you'll be seeing the panasonic hub bikes in eCyclist and MBR over the next month or so, so hopefully more coverage and English reviews for eBikes.

Reactions: Artstu

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Nice looking bike, that - Are the fork tubes colour-coded to the motor, or is it just the light? They don't look shiny.
I assume that one's also 48v & goes like shot off a shivel?

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Hi,

Crank drive is 36volt. I rode a speed pedelec version of a different brand and really liked it. It was at the Eurobike test track. Lets hope UK law catches up, perhaps we could lobby for them to bring in a EU wide law so we can all legally enjoy them without lots of paperwork :)

Hi,

Crank drive is 36volt. I rode a speed pedelec version of a different brand and really liked it. It was at the Eurobike test track. Lets hope UK law catches up, perhaps we could lobby for them to bring in a EU wide law so we can all legally enjoy them without lots of paperwork :)
Hi

The bike they are talking about is the KTM eStyle P, which is the Panasonic hub drive and therefore has the 47v - 250w motor, and a 47v / 8.8ah battery.

which gives the 400% assist that everyone loves.

Cheers
Col.

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
Nice looking bike, that - Are the fork tubes colour-coded to the motor, or is it just the light? They don't look shiny.
I assume that one's also 48v & goes like shot off a shivel?
Yes, they are matching paint, and yes it's very quick to the cut off in High on the flat ( 47v x8.8 Ah )