Chopins

Just Joined
Sep 3, 2014
Hi everyone,

I finally joined the forum after spending hours and hours of reading all the great and informative threads in here as an anonymous reader.
The background on my pedelec story: I bought a Brompton a couple months ago thinking it would be the end of the traffic nightmare I live when going to work. Unfortunately, I realized - after buying of course - that the brompton is great but my ability to ride 11 miles in a hilly areas without arriving sweaty at work was limited.

I did some reading in here and went on the crazy project of electryfing the brompton by sourcing parts myself from China both for fun and money saving. The project is indeed crazy because before the month of july I had basically no knowledge at all in electronics, batteries, soldering, wheel building and well.. in bikes in general.

Anyway my project is coming to an end, mostly thanks to all the great advice Jerry Simon gave to me by e-mails, and I am now at the tweaking stage.

I guess I will make a few posts in the coming weeks to share with people about the difficulties I met and the tweaks I have in mind.

Glad to be here!
Chopins

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Welcome Chopin. I'm enjoying commuting on my Brompton conversion at the moment whilst the sun is shining. It makes a change from my normal year round steed, the Kalkhoff Sahel Compact. My ride is quite short but very hilly (13 miles round trip).

surfer6900

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 21, 2014
Hi Chopin
I was in the same boat as you, with lots of enthusiam & little knowledge or money. 2 years ago I moved from a quick 2 miles hop to a 22 mile commute.
Jerry gave me some great advice, but I loved my Brompton too much to electrify it. I thought that I'd try and save for another & do what you've done.
In the end I got a full size second hand Momentum electric to see if electric biking was for me. I love it.
I'd be interested to see your build and see what setup and probelms you had.

Welcome.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Electrifying a brommie isn't the easiest first project to tackle as I understand it

Congrats ! Hope it's all you hoped for and makes that commute a pleasure . Mine is a 15mile round trip and I actually look forward to commuting these days !

The beauty of the self build - for me at least - is that I'm now massively more knowledgable and able to fix things when they go wrong. Cheap and satisfying

All thanks to this forum and the clever helpful folk on it