New member.

pip48

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2024
Norwich, Norfolk
Hi all,
Been reading lots of good info on this site since a year ago, but now joined because now I have a question.
But first a bit of my history. I have developed a spinal condition where I am limited to walking any distance over 200 yards. So to enable me to get out more, last April I bought a ready made ebike a Hitway BK6 to solely use off road in Norfolk. Sadly I only managed one short ride in June which did impress me. The folding ebike was quite heavy 27kg and the next lift from car boot injured my back. So reluctantly I had to sell it.
I was incapacitated until November, but then with thoughts of what can I do in 2024.
After much deliberation I decided the best option to me was to buy a lightweight folding bicycle and add one of the ebike kits to it. So I sifted through the plethora of folding bikes and finally chose a Dawes Jack at a very good discount price that was delivered on 2nd January. I then decided that the Yosepower 250w front wheel ebike kit was ideal to distribute the weight across the bike. As this bike had a rear carrier, I could use this to mount the battery. So I ordered this kit and it arrived on the 5th. I needed the combined controller and battery mount so this was to come from China. I chose the 36v 15.6a battery. The installation has all gone well.

Reactions: flecc

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Good luck with the bike, and with your back.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
It probably would be good for your back to have a full suspension bike, but since you already have a bike, perhaps have a look at suspension seatposts.

Welcome.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
ahha .. just read this after the long answer to your other post @pip48

yeah the lack of 48v battery option is just because your using a 36v controller and not a dual voltage controller ;)

Be mindful of just how bumpy some rds will be at 15mph so only use pas level 5 when its ultra smooth ahead and ready. you feel all the bumps sat down in the saddle, when pedaling at 15mph im off the seat, tho that cld just be my bike.

pip48

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2024
Norwich, Norfolk
It probably would be good for your back to have a full suspension bike, but since you already have a bike, perhaps have a look at suspension seatposts.

Welcome.
Thanks and yes it was a consideration seeing as my first ebike did have front fork suspension and springs in the saddle. But that ebike had 20" x 4 " studded tyres and was designed for off road use. But sadly all the lightweight folding bikes are designed for road use without those. I will look into suspension seat posts, did not know they existed.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I will look into suspension seat posts, did not know they existed.
Suntour Nex are great, getting more expensive than they used to be, around £80.
There are really expensive ones for over £200, I've never tried one.
I've had the more basic concentric tube kinds (I forget the proper name) like Zoom for around £20, they help but aren't nearly as smooth as the Suntour.

They all add to the minimum saddle height; unlikely to be an issue on a folder.
Suntour and above are desirable easily stolen items, especially if on a quick release.

pip48

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2024
Norwich, Norfolk

Welcome.
Thanks for the info, I will look at see what I can add to my saddle set up.

Daunded1960

Just Joined
Jan 30, 2024
Hi all,
Been reading lots of good info on this site since a year ago, but now joined because now I have a question.
But first a bit of my history. I have developed a spinal condition where I am limited to walking any distance over 200 yards. So to enable me to get out more, last April I bought a ready made ebike a Hitway BK6 to solely use off road in Norfolk. Sadly I only managed one short ride in June which did impress me. The folding ebike was quite heavy 27kg and the next lift from car boot injured my back. So reluctantly I had to sell it.
I was incapacitated until November, but then with thoughts of what can I do in 2024.
After much deliberation I decided the best option to me was to buy a lightweight folding bicycle and add one of the ebike kits to it. So I sifted through the plethora of folding bikes and finally chose a Dawes Jack at a very good discount price that was delivered on 2nd January. I then decided that the Yosepower 250w front wheel ebike kit was ideal to distribute the weight across the bike. As this bike had a rear carrier, I could use this to mount the battery. So I ordered this kit and it arrived on the 5th. I needed the combined controller and battery mount so this was to come from China. I chose the 36v 15.6a battery. The installation has all gone well.
Ps: I love fast paced games like geometry dash world
Adding an e-bike kit to the Dawes Jack seemed like a smart choice, and the Yosepower 250w front-wheel e-bike kit seemed like a good fit. The ability to distribute weight throughout the vehicle and mount the battery on the rear rack shows excellent adaptability. It's nice to know that so far the installation has gone well.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It highly likely any conversion will be over 20kg unless a lightweight Brompton is used.

pip48

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2024
Norwich, Norfolk
Adding an e-bike kit to the Dawes Jack seemed like a smart choice, and the Yosepower 250w front-wheel e-bike kit seemed like a good fit. The ability to distribute weight throughout the vehicle and mount the battery on the rear rack shows excellent adaptability. It's nice to know that so far the installation has gone well.
Thanks for your reply and yes it has all gone to plan, all completed now.

Attachments

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Well done. Do you know the final weight? I hope it's OK for you to get in in the boot.

pip48

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2024
Norwich, Norfolk
It highly likely any conversion will be over 20kg unless a lightweight Brompton is used.
Well actually it weighs in total now 19.6kgs, the bike net weight was 13kg. Purposely chose this model for wheel size, rear rack for the battery, mudguards, extending handlebar stem and the cost £400.
I did look at Brompton but they only weigh 1.5kgs less, and none of the extras as on the Dawes, plus the cost £550 more.

Last edited:

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
I keep meaning to try one of these.

I spent many years riding road bikes so I naturally unweight myself going over hills so I don't feel uncomfortable after riding. But when I was doing high mileages on towpaths I found a sprung saddle was a great solution which definitely contributed to comfort on longer roads.

Brooks are the obvious ones here (the B135 is VERY plush), but Lepper saddles are also quite good and they come in a lot cheaper.

This is the B135:

pip48

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2024
Norwich, Norfolk
I keep meaning to try one of these.

I spent many years riding road bikes so I naturally unweight myself going over hills so I don't feel uncomfortable after riding. But when I was doing high mileages on towpaths I found a sprung saddle was a great solution which definitely contributed to comfort on longer roads.

Brooks are the obvious ones here (the B135 is VERY plush), but Lepper saddles are also quite good and they come in a lot cheaper.

This is the B135:

Plenty of springs on there, but the saddle looks rather firm. My racer had a Brooks all leather swallow saddle and that got sold, no comfort for a thin backside!

pip48

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2024
Norwich, Norfolk
Then what stops you? While riding bike you must have saved a fortune, so go and treat yourself.
I have two Suntour NXC and don't regret spending few £ at all.

Looks odd, but comfortable. Never tried one. Don't think it is good for mtb.
Not bought for mountain trails, just regular walking pathways off road where in the past I walked on. Can't do that now with spinal stenosis.