new shocks

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
It is called "marketing". SRAM is selling a 450€ e-bike specific 8 speed cassette :eek:
It is not any old 8spd, was developed from ground up specifically to handle power eMTB. Big steps between ratios and doesn't mind shifting under full power, not something I recommend for 11spds. As with all new products the price is high to help recover R&D, should drop in future especially if competition decide to follow suit.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
i have been around some bike shops today getting a few odds and ends and have asked a few questions regarding forks .
the biggest problem i found was trying to be taken seriously.
when you mention that its an emtb its assumed that you aren,t really tackling anything more than a rough path.
the consensus of opinions seemed to be that the forks the bike came with should be more than adequate.
i know from reading some of the exploits of members on this site that people are doing real mountain biking on emtb,s so its a pity and surprising that the shops i have dealt with don,t seem to take them seriously.
i should add that some of them actually sell emtb,s
i suppose thats why forums exist!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you have a dongle and take it for a service then they prob will not even touch it let alone fix it if it is broken.

when i broke my xd hub i rang 5 local bike shops and they were not interested in fixing it as had no idea what it was pmsl.

one shop had a go but i just ended up using there tools and managed to get it off and took a fkn hour.

even the new local ebike shop could not service my bike well not strip it down to the bearings as not got a clue tbh.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Where I go I very rarely see another pedal mtb and only once seen a emtb on a tame track, so the pedal mtbers must be weekend or evening warriors.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
so does any one reckon the 100mm xc forks as opposed to my initial idea of 120mm is a way to go and will be suitable?
thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can go to 120mm if you wanted as it will not effect the way the bike will ride but any more and it might start getting to high for the bike frame.

i have 150mm and would got to 170mm just there to expensive atm.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thats great thanks , but would you say the 100mm is up to what i need or best to just go 120mm ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id go with 120 if that is what you want ;)

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thats great
thanks for that
i was really just wondering if 100mm is up to the job as i have an open mind on this and there is more choice

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It might be better not to throw money at the hardtail and sell it to buy something that has full suspension with between 120mm -160mm of front suspension travel.

If this isn't an option, then buy a set of 120mm travel front forks. That isn't said on the basis that I think that you need them, but simply on the basis that you aren't going to be happy with anything less.

Beyond that, the best mod is to fit a dropper seat post.

As an aside, my hardtail copes well enough riding through these woods. Clearly not as well as my full suspension bike, and that copes even less well than an Orange 5 Factory that I sometimes borrow take around there. But it does highlight the terrain that 100mm of travel will cope with at a somewhat reduced speed, although I am never left too far behind.

100mm of travel doesn't seem to cause much of issue with these xc riders either.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thanks eddie its not a case of i don,t think i,ll be happy with anything less than 120mm its just that i have based my opinion on the knowledge i aquired when i first started mountain biking years ago . if you don,t think i need any more than 100mm then i will bow to your more up to date knowledge and include this size in my choices.
that is why i have started this thread rather than just go with what i know.
your track looks good fun in the video
thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
Spending all that money to get an extra 20mm of travel doesn't seem worth it to me. Anyway, improving the front end might highlight further weaknesses you haven't found yet?

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thanks chris , but as i mentioned in my last post 100mm is now in the running also.
i am only trying to make the bike a little more comfortable.
i now know that it is never going to outperform my full sus non electric bike.
as for highliighting further weaknesses i haven,t found yet ,oh no !
what does this mean. lol.

Related Articles

Advertisers