New State Of The Art Cycle Racks

C

Cyclezee

I recently discovered and used these racks and have copied and pasted the blurb below from the web. They are free to use, £1 deposit or a supermarket trolley token. Have meant to take a photo, but keep forgetting even when I have my camera with me:rolleyes:

State of the art cycle racks - the first of their kind in the country - have been introduced in Central Milton Keynes to help reduce bicycle theft crime.

The 'Falco Secure' racks have been installed by Milton Keynes Council's cycle team, replacing the old ones next to CMK library.

MKC's Community Safety Manager Richard Solly said:

"Although bicycle theft is not one of the biggest three offences in terms of numbers it remains a persistent problem in Milton Keynes, and is one of the few crimes that have increased over the last few years."

Safer - and much easier on the eye - they operate in a similar way to a shopping trolley, with cyclists inserting a pound coin to lock their bike, which is refunded when the bike is unlocked.

The chains used on the system are the same chains often used for motorcycle locks. This means that on top of your normal bike lock there is the added security of this heavy duty chain.

To add to the safety aspect the keys that lock the rack are security coded 'special order' and can not be obtained from any high street retailer.

So now cyclists have an easy and safe way to store their bikes for the day why not start cycling to work and enjoy the benefits such as:

· A 15-minute bike ride to and from work five times a week burns off the equivalent of 11lbs of fat in a year.

· Travel is expensive. You can save yourself over £700 on public transport and over £1000 on car costs every year by switching to cycling.

· Cyclists and pedestrians actually absorb lower levels of pollutants from traffic fumes than car drivers. The levels of fumes are significantly lower due to Milton Keynes having its own Redway network.

C

Cyclezee

There's about 50 on the Falco site but none called Falco Secure, I wonder if someone in the MK press office was too lazy to check. :)
I have looked at all the photos on the website, but it is not there. If Top Gear wasn't on soon, I go now and take a photo:rolleyes:

J:) hn

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Aid to design

This morning I forwarded the information given in this thread to our architects in the London Borough of Hackney who are designing our large Annexe to the Town Hall. I received a reply immediately inviting me to a meeting next week to look at the design of the 220 bike racks and 20 showers already planned. I was preaching to the converted as the site manager and other staff associated in the build cycle to work so have an informed opinion. I will post a new thread asking for practical advice to take to the meeting. Hopefully the combined wisdom and practical knowledge of this forum may help improve our provison for staff and public.