Help! New to this!

Karinbee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 23, 2021
Hello,
I’m a newbie to a electric bikes and everything related. I’ve just bought a Somersby Pendleton bike, and according to the paperwork, the LED display on the battery should show the level of charge. I’ve been charging the bike today, we tested the cable and it showed 40V, so that’s fine. Yet the LED display is stuck at 20% when it should be 100%. Is there a trick I should know? The battery is brand new.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
IIRC, another member here with your bike said something along the lines of the battery only displaying one LED if the battery is switched off when charging, but displays correctly when the switch is turned on. The battery should be 41.5v-42v when fully charged.

Reactions: Karinbee

Karinbee

Jun 23, 2021
We’ve tried switching it on to see if anything changes, but it doesn’t. After the initial flash across all the LCDs it goes back to just showing the 20% one green. I’m just trying to find out if this is a common fault or if I should take it back to Halfords.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Here's the query I was thinking off...
Pendleton Somersby electric bike battery charge query | Pedelecs - Electric Bike Community

The battery may be asleep: Try a long press to see if it wakes.
The battery button has (at least did have) three modes:
A quick press shows state of charge.
A 10 second press shows cell health (i.e. how worn your cells are - a new battery should show all LEDs lit).
A 30 second press puts the battery to sleep.

At the end of the day, it's a new bike. If you're not comfortable with how the battery is working, take it back for checking.

At least you had some paperwork supplied... most Pendletons don't, and an instruction book is by far the most frequently asked for item here!

Reactions: Karinbee

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
New bike bought yesterday has exactly the same problem.

not sure what the fix is.
The fix is easy get a refund and buy from a better source and a different bike.

Karinbee

Jun 23, 2021

I’ve decided to just trust the battery meter on the handlebar and ignore the one on the back. Yesterday I noticed when switching off the battery that the one on the back now shows a lower level of charge now that I’ve used it. I’m thinking it may just be an unfortunate choice of words in the instructions, and it’s just meant to flash to the level of charge as you turn it on and off. I will check with Halfords today though.

Karinbee

Jun 23, 2021

Went down to Halfords yesterday and asked. Apparently it does work such that you charge up the battery, the indicator on the back battery stays at the first LED, and only flashes up the level of actual charge when you turn the battery on or off. Your constant gauge of which level of charge you’re at is the indicator on the handlebar, in addition to the flash as you turn the battery on/off.

Karinbee

Jun 23, 2021
Did you remember to ask them for the manual?
I didn’t need the manual for the bike, I already had it. That’s where the confusion started - the manual is worded in such a way that made me think the LEDs should be on permanently.