New tyres. Cool or weird?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon

I bought these Fat Frank's for my electric cruiser, which already has black FF's on.

I love the way they ride, so I thought I'd bung them on my old analogue MTB for a test.
I can't decide if they look good, weird, eccentric or stupid.

All opinions are welcome (as long as you don't accuse me of bullying, or not knowing what I'm talking about [emoji6] )

Last edited:
Reactions: tillson

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think they look fine and as Fat Franks they're good tyres. We once had quite a few white tyres, so long ago I can't remember when but I think it was probably in the 1970s when cycling was at a low ebb in this country. In the USA they've been commonplace for very many years.

And there's tyres in all sorts of colours since rubbers are transluscent and only black because carbon is added to make them that way. A couple of years ago Giant introduced a step-through that was all pink including the tyres, presumably for the US market.

Reactions: Alan Quay

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012

I bought these Fat Frank's for my electric cruiser, which already has black FF's on.

I love the way they ride, so I thought I'd bung them on my old analogue MTB for a test.

All opinions are welcome (as long as you don't accuse me of bullying, or not knowing what I'm talking about [emoji6] )
They look cool

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014

how do they ride? more or less grippy than big apples? more or less rolling resistance? I love the way it looks (I think it appeals to my female side, it's arare occasion I wish I were in the states, where I live the locals don't take kindly to anything remotely suggesting one is enjoying life, and those seem they may), more so I imagine on a loop frame (I've got a santa ana with marathon plus tours that are so gripless ive com eoff three times, and finally decided that's enough)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They look damn good to me nothing wrong with them Alan even gives the bike a bit of retro look about it, I'm keen on the Panaracer's and they are red walled. Talking of tyres I've recently taken my 28mm's off my hybrid and put on the white walled 38mm studded winter's and the ride is vastly improved with reassuring road holding and much better ride comfort also speed isn't greatly different maybe 1mph slower but still able to go along at 18/19.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Cant decide if they're cool in a weird way, or weird in a cool way....... still, i bet its a plush ride with those fat feckers.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
how do they ride? more or less grippy than big apples? more or less rolling resistance? I love the way it looks (I think it appeals to my female side, it's arare occasion I wish I were in the states, where I live the locals don't take kindly to anything remotely suggesting one is enjoying life, and those seem they may), more so I imagine on a loop frame (I've got a santa ana with marathon plus tours that are so gripless ive com eoff three times, and finally decided that's enough)
Thanks for the kind words. Its rare that anything I do appeals to the opposite sex.

These tires are pretty similar to BA's in most respects. They just look a bit different.

I know this because I fitted BA's to friends bike last week.

Grip on the road is plenty. I've probably done 3000 miles on FF's now, only crashing once.

(The crash wasn't really the tires fault though. More to do with an excess of speed/wine, and a 2 foot deep ford. I have a nice ragged 7 stitch franken-scar on my knee with which I will one day scare my grandchildren. )

I also regularly ride up a steep, mud/gravel track with them, and they just about hold their own.

You need to check you have enough clearance in your frame as they are 2.35 inch.

Where do you live that the locals get so bent out of shape about people enjoying themselves?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Cant decide if they're cool in a weird way, or weird in a cool way....... still, i bet its a plush ride with those fat feckers.
That's pretty much what my wife said. My son (7) was less tactful and continues to be vociferously in the 'not cool' camp.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My son (7) was less tactful and continues to be vociferously in the 'not cool' camp.
Don't take any notice of him, childhood all the way to 18 years old is all about conformity. They're terrified of anything that looks different from the norm in their world, in this case black tyres.

And they have an added bias, if an adult did it, it's probably not cool, the older the adult, the less cool it's likely to be.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
White tyres don’t half show the dirt though. I’ve had white wall tyres on a few bikes, and I used to wash my father’s car with white wall tyres when I was a kid, and getting them clean was a bugger. Particularly when you get oil or road tar on them.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They suit some frame styles and colours. A nice dark bronze or a copper coloured frame really set them off. And the modern retro style frames or the cruiser frames suit them well. On that bike as we say in France bof...

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
They suit some frame styles and colours. A nice dark bronze or a copper coloured frame really set them off. And the modern retro style frames or the cruiser frames suit them well. On that bike as we say in France bof...
Ultimately I'm putting them on this:

Reactions: JohnCade

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

It's almost designer.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Ultimately I'm putting them on this:

Yep works! :cool:

For those with a French language handicap "bof" is a non committing neither yes nor no reply. Very handy, got me out of some very awkward situations but careful can get you in hot water with members of the opposite sex looking for commitment! :eek:

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Weird for me; but then I'm still having a problem getting to grips with any colour other than black for cars!

Jim

Advertisers