Newbie asking for advice about first ebike what to get ca. £1500

mischip

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 7, 2019
Hi all,

I’m sure this sort of advice has been asked and answered loads of times so if so, sorry for the repetition.

I’m looking to get an e-bike to commute to work part of the week and for the occasional jaunt out in the local countryside. The commute is 12 mile round trip (steepest gradient 24%, inbound elevation 160 m outbound elevation 281m) but I live near Huddersfield in a fairly hilly part of Yorkshire, so lots of dales and valleys to go up and down in. We are just on the edge of the Pennines/north Peak District. I’m reasonably fit (13 stone, 6ft, sore knees and lower back aside) and healthy but am looking to turn up at work in a decent state rather than looking like a raging tomato. I’d occasionally like to take it on the canal tow paths around us too and get to the top of some of the valley sides when the urge takes me for a bit of a view. Used to do a fair bit of walking but two young kids has cut that down considerably.

So I’m looking for a hybrid bike with a good quality motor with decent grunt and a reasonable battery, possibly a throttle (though not set on that), that comes with hydraulic brakes, some suspension, build in lock (if possible, not essential) and includes mud guards, pannier rack and integrated lights about £1500.

A reasonable price is appealing as I may have to find a half and half solution to commuting involving driving 2-3 days, cycling 2-3 days as unlikely to be able to convert completely to cycle commuting.

My work is connected to the Cycle2Work scheme up to £1000 so although predominantly Halfords related I believe other suppliers are also involved.

So far I’ve been looking at the following:

Volt Pulse
Raleigh Motus
Raleigh Motus Tour
Cube Hybrid One 400 Easy Entry
Carrera Crossfuse

I see that Whoosh bikes have a good rep and would be interested in suggestions here too.

I’m usually quite good at doing some research and then picking out what I think is best but I’m struggling here as I have no biking previous history. While they all seem to be similar-ish there seem to be quite a few differences in suspension types, gears, tyres, drive types etc so not sure where the best pick is. I like the sound of the Bosch drive system but again not sure which drive system to go for and doesn’t have to be (I know the Volt isn’t Bosch powered) and not sure about mid-drive as opposed to rear hub.

Any thoughts, suggestions etc. on the above would be much appreciated, or on any local shops to visit (or avoid) and then I can decide which to go look at and possible try out. Thanks in advance! Really is much appreciated.

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
Hi all,

I’m sure this sort of advice has been asked and answered loads of times so if so, sorry for the repetition.

I’m looking to get an e-bike to commute to work part of the week and for the occasional jaunt out in the local countryside. The commute is 12 mile round trip (steepest gradient 24%, inbound elevation 160 m outbound elevation 281m) but I live near Huddersfield in a fairly hilly part of Yorkshire, so lots of dales and valleys to go up and down in. We are just on the edge of the Pennines/north Peak District. I’m reasonably fit (13 stone, 6ft, sore knees and lower back aside) and healthy but am looking to turn up at work in a decent state rather than looking like a raging tomato. I’d occasionally like to take it on the canal tow paths around us too and get to the top of some of the valley sides when the urge takes me for a bit of a view. Used to do a fair bit of walking but two young kids has cut that down considerably.

So I’m looking for a hybrid bike with a good quality motor with decent grunt and a reasonable battery, possibly a throttle (though not set on that), that comes with hydraulic brakes, some suspension, build in lock (if possible, not essential) and includes mud guards, pannier rack and integrated lights about £1500.

A reasonable price is appealing as I may have to find a half and half solution to commuting involving driving 2-3 days, cycling 2-3 days as unlikely to be able to convert completely to cycle commuting.

My work is connected to the Cycle2Work scheme up to £1000 so although predominantly Halfords related I believe other suppliers are also involved.

So far I’ve been looking at the following:

Volt Pulse
Raleigh Motus
Raleigh Motus Tour
Cube Hybrid One 400 Easy Entry
Carrera Crossfuse

I see that Whoosh bikes have a good rep and would be interested in suggestions here too.

I’m usually quite good at doing some research and then picking out what I think is best but I’m struggling here as I have no biking previous history. While they all seem to be similar-ish there seem to be quite a few differences in suspension types, gears, tyres, drive types etc so not sure where the best pick is. I like the sound of the Bosch drive system but again not sure which drive system to go for and doesn’t have to be (I know the Volt isn’t Bosch powered) and not sure about mid-drive as opposed to rear hub.

Any thoughts, suggestions etc. on the above would be much appreciated, or on any local shops to visit (or avoid) and then I can decide which to go look at and possible try out. Thanks in advance! Really is much appreciated.
Afternoon Mischip, ive a possible Freego Hawk crossbar which has had and upgrade from the standard shop ebike of 250watt its now a 250/500watt dual power which is brilliant for getting up the hills in and around the Dales. I bought it back end of 2016 so min mileage. Battery is A1 condition. Bike has been kept clean and indoors since buying. Only selling because ive just bought a eMTB. If your interested get intouch. If not then sorry for the intrusion. Thanks. Andy.

Reactions: mischip

Andy1865

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2017
Afternoon Mischip, ive a possible Freego Hawk crossbar which has had and upgrade from the standard shop ebike of 250watt its now a 250/500watt dual power which is brilliant for getting up the hills in and around the Dales. I bought it back end of 2016 so min mileage. Battery is A1 condition. Bike has been kept clean and indoors since buying. Only selling because ive just bought a eMTB. If your interested get intouch. If not then sorry for the intrusion. Thanks. Andy.
P.S. the upgrade was done professionally and not by myself.

mischip

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 7, 2019
Thanks for the response. Not quite what I'm looking for but thanks.