sadienmaree

Just Joined
May 24, 2022
Hi,
I‘m planning to get an ebike. I’ve done quite a bit of research so far. The issue is if I purchase it from an online retailer, will I be able to get a bike shop nearby to carry out any servicing or repairs? I live in south Somerset area. The nearest bike servicing shop is Halfords in Yeovil. Should I purchase the bike from them instead?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Personally I wouldn't go near Halfords. It's a lottery as to whether there is a good 'mechanic' on site, there have been photo's on here of a 'prepared' bike that was given to the customer with the forks on backwards. Their e-bike offerings are variable and with many reported instances, on the forum, of bikes cutting out, manuals not being supplied and staff being, at best, ignorant and at worst downright obstructive.
Woosh has a good rep, bought from them myself. Based in Southend they dliver by courier and have excellent backup advice.
Wisper also great customer service, they have a dealer network, there may be one near you.

Most servicing is standard bike stuff, easy to do and there are plenty of you tube videos and help to be had here. The electrical side shouldn't need much. There are operational and care routines to understand but day to day should go fault free.
For me, the simpler the sytem the less fault liability the more I can maintain and repair myself.