next new bike help

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Flecc,

I salute your ingenuity - but such a solution is beyond my meagre DIY capabilities.

I was trying to make the point that the progression in pricing that eZee currently have in their range could be lost if they start dropping models in favour of the top-end F series bikes.

Speaking as someone who is trying to choose how to get in to these products, this is very frustrating.

I want to get my bike on CycleScheme, which has a £1000 limit on the tax relief. Even if 50Cycles give me a £1000 invoice, anything over that will have to be put in directly without tax relief - so if they drop Cadence at £1100 for an F bike at £1350-1400, that makes the range less optimal from my point of view.

Which is the sort of thing that makes you start looking at competitor's ranges...
OR, really good, low mileage used models (Torq - 500 miles - £100 worth of upgrades and £400+ discount on the new price). Marginally better than C to W scheme (except for Higher rate tax payers) where the top 4 of the eZee range don't qualify on the full price.
Peter

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Well? What about a used Torq?

OK. Leaves me with three options:

1) Buy a Sprint, and learn to love step through
2) Pay the extra for a Torq, and learn to love pedalling hard on hills
3) Hope that 50Cycles can come through with a Cadence

Makes choosing a bike for test viewing difficult, though - I don't want to view everything they supply. The carbon footprint for all that travelling to view will negate everything I'll save with the bike!
See my post just above: it is still available in Mere. Send a PM for more detail
Peter

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
No Carbon Footprint - No commerce!

OK. Leaves me with three options:

1) Buy a Sprint, and learn to love step through
2) Pay the extra for a Torq, and learn to love pedalling hard on hills
3) Hope that 50Cycles can come through with a Cadence

Makes choosing a bike for test viewing difficult, though - I don't want to view everything they supply. The carbon footprint for all that travelling to view will negate everything I'll save with the bike!
Hello DBC:
I have been reading your posts and your predicament on choosing/testing the short list of you choices.
There is not a bike I have researched (on paper, in the beginning) that does not have some impediment, one way or another. Can't list them all here, it would take far too long. Anyway, you know the ones you would not entertain.
If we don't put carbon footprints everywhere commerce will die. Go back to the days when Motor Cars were the exception rather than the norm - nobody went anywhere that could not be accomplished in a day by train/bus. Now there aren't so many of those, life without the internal combustion engine would be either parochial or impossible. Mind you (before you say it) less commerce would have less carbon impact. Tell that to the people of the country who are making your bike as I type.
So here we have it:
My Torq (see my previous posts on this thread) will produce no more production 'carbon footprint'.
If you wanted to see it/try it you could come by train/bus/taxi :rolleyes:
Or we could reach an arrangement and FOC I would bring it to you. Same thing in the end but it would ease your conscience unless you would be saddled with guilt by proxy. :D
There is only one stipulation: you must want a Torq. When you see mine you will have no qualms as to its quality and condition or asking price.
What do you think?
Peter

DBCohen

Pedelecer
May 2, 2007
Manchester
Hello DBC:
I have been reading your posts and your predicament on choosing/testing the short list of you choices.
There is not a bike I have researched (on paper, in the beginning) that does not have some impediment, one way or another. Can't list them all here, it would take far too long. Anyway, you know the ones you would not entertain.
If we don't put carbon footprints everywhere commerce will die. Go back to the days when Motor Cars were the exception rather than the norm - nobody went anywhere that could not be accomplished in a day by train/bus. Now there aren't so many of those, life without the internal combustion engine would be either parochial or impossible. Mind you (before you say it) less commerce would have less carbon impact. Tell that to the people of the country who are making your bike as I type.
So here we have it:
My Torq (see my previous posts on this thread) will produce no more production 'carbon footprint'.
If you wanted to see it/try it you could come by train/bus/taxi :rolleyes:
Or we could reach an arrangement and FOC I would bring it to you. Same thing in the end but it would ease your conscience unless you would be saddled with guilt by proxy. :D
There is only one stipulation: you must want a Torq. When you see mine you will have no qualms as to its quality and condition or asking price.
What do you think?
Peter
Pete,

Thanks for the kind offer and the exhortations :D

I was tempted by the Torq - but ultimately, I decided that with my currently portly frame and relatively little recent cycle experience (coupled with the overall hill journey home from work) that it would not do for me.

In addition, I AM a 40% tax payer - so Cyclescheme makes more financial sense for me. Particularly as the repayment is spread interest free over 12 months, rather than a single hit.

I have a Cadence on order from 50Cycles under Cyclescheme. My original order was their last stock one, with a discount for a couple of marks on the frame. However, I have now been told by them that it suffered a catastrophic warehouse accident :eek: and so a new one is on its way in from eZee. I suppose that will be the last one they sell now they have delisted the Cadence in favour of the F-bikes (also tempting, but FAR too expensive).

As for the carbon footprint, I was being slightly tongue in cheek there - all of these bikes are shipped across the planet before we buy them, after all! The time and co-ordination factor (and associated ordering delay) was the real factor.

Good luck in reselling the Torq, and thanks for your input!

David.