Nice long ride on SuperBikey today (Wisper 905se City).

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
I went for a nice long ride on SB today (aka Wisper 905se City). Because it was recreational and exercise combined (if there is such a thing) I used it mostly in 80% pedelec mode and only used the throttle when my legs looked up at me and cried 'Enough is enough! Give us a rest!'

Started from Fratton Bridge and went up the Eastern Road to Farlington Marshes. Then across to Hayling Island via the first part of the Hayling Billy north of Hayling bridge.

Photos: Portsmouth-Hayling e-bike ride. - a set on Flickr

Route: E-bike ride to hayling Island and back. by vikki15 at Garmin Connect - Player

Oh, higher speeds were throttle, lower speeds were pedelec mode, super low speeds were me walking the coastal path through the nature reserve.

On the first part of the Hayling Billy I was minding my own business, stood by SB and having a drink from my water bottle and taking a photo when a dog came up to me and so obviously wanted to be fussed over. I obliged him and gave him a good stroking and fussing and he suddenly dived into the bushes and returned to me with a stick. Well, being a doggy person I knew exactly what he wanted. So, I picked up the stick and hurled it a god 20 feet. The dog had anticipated me, as they do, and shot off as the stick left my hand. He was forced to backtrack as he'd gone to far. Three times he brought the stick back to me. The second time, though, he dropped the stick at my feet and just as my fingers were about to clutch the stick he nicked it back, looked at me as if to say "Gotcha!" and then dropped it again to let, I say LET, me throw it. His master caught up with him and away they went. Lovely dog.

I took some pictures of St. Peter's Church down in Northney. I tell you, I would not take the trike down that road. Too narrow, too twisty, too many blind corners.

What I did notice in coming up to Hayling bridge on the road is that the cycle path suddenly vanished and you were expected to go on the road, which I did. It was bloody scary, it's very narro and a lot of cars have their wheels almost in the gutter. Then I noticed cyclists were using the pavement still so I did the same. It is truly stupid to have shared cycle/pedestrian up to a point, then pedestrian only and then back to shared as you hit the bridge. That stretch of road is downright dangerous.

Actually, when I took the trike up there I was on the pavement when a police car passed me and they didn't bat an eyelid. Mind you, I think I've worked out why on shared paths people indicate to let me go first, they think I'm handicapped! Apparently, most people don't realise what I recumbent trike is and assume it's a handicapped persons vehicle. I should have twigged this when an old lady acquaintance of mine stopped me to ask me if I'd injured my back! Go figure.

Anyway, back to SuperBikey and me. We did the Northney route down to Hayling seafront. I stopped in Mengham to get some cakes from Heide's, little treatasaurus, you know the kind of thing, *cough* REWARD *cough*!

I did notice that Hayling Cycles is selling a Freego Kingfisher step-thru! How about that! A shop on little ol' Hayling Island selling an e-bike. I was impressed. The bike looked ok, too.

Oh, at some point going down Northney I was unsure what way to go at one point. SInce my iPhone was in my bag which was buried in the back pannier I switched my Garmin Edge 605 to map view and followed that for a while. It got me out of a fix and I became confident about where I was heading. I even spotted a side road later that got me past a nasty junction. Expensive, but it was a treat for me and well worth it.

I got down to the seafront with my cakes and ate one there. The other badboy was for later and the Coffee and walnut cake was to go on the side at home. I had decided not to go back via Hayling ferrry earlier in the day so that I could get a good run and some exercise at the same time. For that I needed distance. I used the Garmin map again to guide me from the seafront to the start of the Hayling Billy as I wasn't sure where it was from where I was. I didn't put in the address or anything, I just checked the map by eye to spot the route. Garmin isn't too hot on cycle routes, in fact, it's a bit stone cold. Shame.

Coming back I decided to take a stroll along the coastal path through the nature reserve. No cycling on that land. It was pleasant enough but I was getting too hot so I picked a shorter route back to the A27 cycleway instead of walking all the way round.

All told a very enjoyable day, easily as enjoyable as my trike ride two weeks ago or so. I tried riding SB without power and to be brutally honest, although my trike is 7-8lbs heavier (fully laden) than SB I find that the trike is very easy to pedal. Pushing SB along was like pushing a tank along! Which I found quite surprising since trike and e-bike weigh the same unladen.

The total journey was about 27 miles and the yellow battery light only went out (no-load) at the 20 mile mark. Normally it goes out a lot sooner but then I do full throttle, full power when I use him for work and back. We all know that is heavy on the battery though. So, I was very pleased because I've been fancying doing a ride to The Bat and Ball at Hambledon. Me and my bro and some school friends used to do that ride during the summers when we were younger. Not to the pub, not quite that far, but I'm sure I'd enjoy a shandy and a ploughman's. It's a 32 mile round trip and there's some nasty hills in the way. Which slightly worries me because I know hills drain batteries quicker. Still, if I pedelec it the bulk of the way SB should manage it no problem. I want to check the route out to see if it would be suitable for a trike ride.

That's pretty much the end of my little tale.

Best regards.

Vikki.

Reactions: Eagleowl

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
looks like you had a good day,nice pics...but where's the one of SB !!

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
D'oh! Forgot :eek:

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Thats a load of info for a bike ride. I'm impressed. Don't see many hills there though:).
I also like to see how many miles and elevation i encountered on my rides. I use a version of memory map and plot the journey on the pc after i get home.
I might have to get one of those garmin thingy's.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
I got it mostly for the trike to see how I am improving but I also find it very useful on SuperBikey when we go on exploratory forays into the wilds to see if anything is a viable triking route. I'm going to do the Hambledon run if it's nice on Saturday. A 32 mile round trip. I won't be using much throttle on that run because I want to be sure of getting back.

Plenty of hills so I suspect David at Wisper would be interested in the data I bring back.

I should point out that the average speed is low for an electric but that was me stopping to take pictures and starting off again and having a dawdle here and there, it was recreational after all :D

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I've got a Wisper on order, Vikki - when you're on the walking parts of your outing, don't you occasionally blip the throttle as you go, just to take some of the weight?

Allen.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
D'oh! Nope, I didn't. Mind you, it's easy enough to push along but did take a fancy to falling toward me a few times - feels heavy enough then :eek:

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
My previous experience on a bike has been riding, then getting off and walking, pushing the bike alongside me - I can see my habits will need revising once I get the Wisper.

A.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Me and SB have happily been traipsing around with each other for just shy of 18 months. I got him in January 2009.

I was riding my trike in this morning when I realised that I was cruising fairly effortlessly at 13mph. I'm wondering if that is playing a part in SB's average speed going up - that my muscles are putting more effort in but don't notice it? I have, in the past, sprinted SB up to 22mph for a short time. He made all these 'weeeeee, woooooooooo, hahahahaha' sounds. Now, I'm not sure if that's because he was enjoying himself or whether he was taking a swing at me being the engine for a change :eek:

Prior to owning the trike I could never have pushed past the assist like that.

You know, I'm wondering if I need to see a shrink. They could have a field day with me - muwhahahahahaha:D

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Mad? Me?

With the two of us Vikki there would be enough material for a 12 part documentary!

Great to hear SB is looking after you so well, it's the sea air I have no doubt! :D

Kindest regards

David