Now VW consider entering the ebike market

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Since it's got footrests that seems intentional, but they obviously haven't read the law on e-bikes in Europe.

That fold is clever, the front and rear frame sections rotating so that the wheels sit inside the frame upper curve. That rules out a simple chain or shaft transmission though, so not very practical.

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
Since it's got footrests that seems intentional, but they obviously haven't read the law on e-bikes in Europe.

That fold is clever, the front and rear frame sections rotating so that the wheels sit inside the frame upper curve. That rules out a simple chain or shaft transmission though, so not very practical.
I think I've worked out how they could keep the fold and make it a legal pedelec. If they lowered the saddle and put a backrest on it then they could turn it into a semi recumbent and put the pedals directly on the front wheel.

OK, so maybe that's still not very practical. :p

matt-derby

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
Derby UK
Lovely folding mechanism!

I think we'll see a few more 'out of the box' ideas in the years to come. Designers and big companies like 'Lexus' and now 'VW' are coming to terms with the possible future of cycle/eco transport. Who next? Apple?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think I've worked out how they could keep the fold and make it a legal pedelec. If they lowered the saddle and put a backrest on it then they could turn it into a semi recumbent and put the pedals directly on the front wheel.

OK, so maybe that's still not very practical. :p
I'd also thought of that Patrick and front gear hubs are made so that there can be several gears for the pedals directly on the hub, but recumbent would probably make the bike too large to fit into the spare wheel space.

On the basis that it's possibly meant as a rescue bike to cover breakdowns, their design could have a flexible cable drive like those used with electric drills. Although very inefficient, it would met the law and not matter with the motor doing the work.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
It is common knowledge that the EU pass thousands of laws and the only country that takes notice and obeys them is the UK. The other countries just shrug their shoulders and forget all about them. ;)
It did occur to me that if this fits in the space of the spare wheel then where does the spare wheel go? Unless VW are working on puncture proof tyres for their cars.

Colin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It did occur to me that if this fits in the space of the spare wheel then where does the spare wheel go? Unless VW are working on puncture proof tyres for their cars.

Colin
It's common policy with companies running vans not to carry any spare, just relying on the tyre services, and there are a few car drivers who won't change a wheel and rely on those too.

I don't see much point in an emergency bike in these mobile phone days though, the bike only useful then if abandoning the car, which seems unlikely.

C

Cyclezee

It's common policy with companies running vans not to carry any spare, just relying on the tyre services, and there are a few car drivers who won't change a wheel and rely on those too.
The spare wheel for my MPV resides in the garage as an LPG tank takes up the space for it. I always carry a can of Holts Tyreweld in case of punctures, even in vehicles with a spare.
However, the only time I needed to use it on my own vehicle was when I had run over a large metal object which cut a large gash in the tyre and as a result the tyreweld just leaked all over the road. On that occasion I had to be rescued and have a new tyre fitted.
Another time a work colleague got a flat and had a useless spare, so I came to the rescue with my tyreweld and it worked a treat as the cuprit was only a nail.
I read somwhere that the motorist can expect to travel an average of 90,000 miles between punctures. I drive 20,000+ miles per annum and can't remember when I last had a puncture:eek:

J:) hn

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Many years ago I passed half a million miles of driving John (I was a high mileage man in my working days) and have no idea of my total now, but I have only ever suffered one puncture, a huge nail up though a sidewall on a Victor FE2300.

I've never suffered a motorcycle one in all my years of motorcycling.

I think punctures are very much a thing of cycling, and Marathon Plus is the best way to deal with that for utility cyclists.

Advertisers