Number plates or no cycling to school

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Saw this and started to wonder what others thought of the idea?

Children to be banned from cycling to school without number plates
Children have been told they will be banned from cycling to their south London school if they do not put number plates on their bikes.

Teachers at Stanley Park High, in Carshalton, are introducing the scheme so members of the public can report pupils cycling dangerously.

The secondary school said the main aim was to keep children safe.

Charity Cycling UK questioned why Stanley Park High "want to make cycling to school more difficult".

On the school's website, head teacher Amit Amin wrote: "All students who cycle to school will be required to display a school-issued bicycle number plate when riding to and from school.

"Students without a number plate will not be permitted to cycle to school, or lock their bicycles on school grounds."

Mr Amin said the measure was in response to incidents of children cycling in a way that "endangers themselves and others".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45636870

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On the school's website, head teacher Amit Amin wrote:

"Students without a number plate will not be permitted to cycle to school,
The chump can't stop them cycling to school, he has no jurisdiction outside school and they can just lock their bikes outside.

Or the kids could kill this stone dead by turning up on bikes without locks and having to be sent home when they refuse to leave their bikes outside.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and Fat Rat

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The secondary school a couple hundred yards from my house must have a similar type of scheme as often kids lock there bike to rod railings and other street furniture very close by and walk in to school.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Yeh, lets do anything but give the kids some information/education that might actually be useful to them.
I remember at my grammar school (yes, I'm part of the priveledged elite apparently) the police used to come round once a year. They insisted that everyones saddle height was adjusted so that you could put both feet flat on the ground whilst seated, thus rendering the bike unrideable. Such is the nature of those bent on securing our safety.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
What a load of rubbish
Has that head teacher got bugger all better todo than think up hair brain schemes like this
Let’s get them cycling not stop them .

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

cant see id pass tbh lol ;)

John doncaster dn6

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2018
If you had a daughter or son, would you want any undesirable knowing where they went to school? Nope. This can and would be stopped with regards to children's safety immeadiatly.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
If you had a daughter or son, would you want any undesirable knowing where they went to school? Nope. This can and would be stopped with regards to children's safety immeadiatly.
I assume you send your kids to school wearing their school uniform, right?

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and Fat Rat

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I trained as a teacher but never went into the profession after being put off by smoke fog filled staff rooms filled with depressed teachers. It was a secondary modern in Basingstoke so they probably had due cause.

Anyway it struck me at the time that a school is really a very autocratic set up where the head holds sway and gets to bully all the other teachers and implement any half brained idea that takes their mis judged fancy.

Perhaps dare I say it similar to our highly capable politicians. Just think what an absolute fiasco they could make re vamping ebike legislation based on recent newspaper articles and their extensive knowledge of how the bikes work.

Last edited:
Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Anyway it struck me at the time that a school is really a very autocratic set up where the head holds sway and gets to bully all the other teachers and implement any half brained idea that takes their mis judged fancy.
And bullying the kids too, as in this number plates instance.

It all fits with my long held opinion that schools are only partly about education, being equally meant as prisons to contain children for most of the time their parents are at work. The continuing extension of school time with ever earlier schooling from 3 or 4 years, breakfast clubs, weekend sports activities and holiday clubs during the long school holidays only reinforces that belief.

Reactions: oyster

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Back when I did my teacher training they talked about the hidden curriculum.

That's all the stuff you learn from your teachers that they do not mean to teach you.

All their little prejudices, any unfair treatment with no recourse you receive at their behest etc etc

I always liked that term

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
It all fits with my long held opinion that schools are only partly about education, being equally meant as prisons to contain children for most of the time their parents are at work
So basically preparing them adulthood and for work themselves as to be fair a large majority of people are imprisoned for 40plus hours a week for 48 weeks a year.

Just an observation by the way not a dig at your quote :)

Last edited:
  • Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
school is mass brain washing so all the sheep will comply as adults and be good little grown up sheep.

i had enough of that shite buy the time i was 10 pmsl

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
school is mass brain washing so all the sheep will comply as adults and be good little grown up sheep.

i had enough of that shite buy the time i was 10 pmsl
Ditto. I fortunately managed to get expelled as I reached 14.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Ditto. I fortunately managed to get expelled as I reached 14.
i was the same age but it was a boarding school for so called problem kids and could not send me anywhere else pmsl.

it was not cost effective to keep me there the amount of stuff we robbed and damage we did none of my class got to do exams and all booted out lol.

we got bucks for the vcrs back then ;)

Advertisers