Help! Old Biker

Iainchef

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 31, 2020
I live in East Ayrshire in a old mining/farming community. Nearest e-bike shop approx 13 miles.
Being in isolation during c-19 has brought home the fact of how unfit I really am. Arthritic knee/cancer survivor/high blood pressure Aghhh!
Her indoors telling me to go for walks during c-19/ I can walk but only so far. Impacts on my knee. So need low impact initially. So e-bike would appear to be one way of exercising. Spoke to Doc she said go for it! Do not want boring exercise bike.
So here I am after lots of research looking for help/advice.
I live in the country where it’s reasonably hilly. Used to bike a lot 40 years ago (68 now) Retired and looking for an e-bike recommendations. Need big help on hills.
Would consider anything as far as budget is concerned. Rear wheel/Front wheel/Mid crank drive. Needs to be comfortable.Hydraulic brakes. Auto gear change. Good suspension. Roads here are like bomb-sites. The country side roads here are totally accessible I have been doing research but a lot of info to take in.

Any advice would be great
IAINCHEF

Gliggsy

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Well here I am, 67 years old and dodgy hip, can make around 800mtrs before it becomes too painful to proceed walking but yet I've done a few 20 milers and a thirty on my oxygen s cross since lockdown, I try and get out whenever the weather permits and do enjoy it. I say go for it, isn't there anyone close that rents e bikes out so that you can try before you buy?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Iain and welcome.
One thing you need to be aware of for consideration is the two different methods of pedal motion detection in order for the system to deliver power. E bikes are only allowed to give power assistance when the pedals are being turned - otherwise it's a moped !
One method of detection is torque sense. This detects the 'weight' or effort being put through the pedal by the rider, measures that effort and delivers back power as a multiple depending on power level selected. So the harder you push the more power you get.
The other method is cadence sense or pas. This detects the rotation of the pedals and delivers power so long as they are moving.

In consideration of your dodgy knees, I would say that the latter method would be the best for you. From experience I can tell you that, if your knee starts to hurt during a ride, with pas all you have to do is rotate the pedals, with no weight applied, and you will get power. This will get you home.
With cadence sense you always have to apply weight/effort otherwise there is no power delivery.
That said, no legal e-bike will get you up steep hills without input from you, but a pas bike will power you along flats and mild hills by itself, if you wish, saving your knees a deal of strain.
Mostly mid drive motored bikes (usually the more expensive) are torque sense. Most hub drive (front or rear) are pas.

D

Deleted member 33385

I live in East Ayrshire in a old mining/farming community. Nearest e-bike shop approx 13 miles.
Being in isolation during c-19 has brought home the fact of how unfit I really am. Arthritic knee/cancer survivor/high blood pressure Aghhh!
Her indoors telling me to go for walks during c-19/ I can walk but only so far. Impacts on my knee. So need low impact initially. So e-bike would appear to be one way of exercising. Spoke to Doc she said go for it! Do not want boring exercise bike.
So here I am after lots of research looking for help/advice.
I live in the country where it’s reasonably hilly. Used to bike a lot 40 years ago (68 now) Retired and looking for an e-bike recommendations. Need big help on hills.
Would consider anything as far as budget is concerned. Rear wheel/Front wheel/Mid crank drive. Needs to be comfortable.Hydraulic brakes. Auto gear change. Good suspension. Roads here are like bomb-sites. The country side roads here are totally accessible I have been doing research but a lot of info to take in.

Any advice would be great
IAINCHEF

I decided to buy a kit because they are customisable in the way they behave, whereas when you buy an ebike with everything built in, it may not be. But it depends on how confident you are with tools. They only ever supply extactly enough tiny screws, washers, bolts etc. and replacements if you lose one can take a very long time to arrive from China, if you're unlucky. I bought the Bafang 250W BBS01b, which is legal if you don't install the throttle. I've changed it's firmware (semi-software on the motor) so that it powers me uphill with minimal effort... firmware updates are tricky if you're not confident with computers, USB cables etc. Best try a few ready assembled ebikes and see which one works for you? If not, get a kit? Or get someone to upgrade a bike you like with a kit? The other advantage with kits is long-term serviceability; if anything breaks down, there will always be parts out there somewhere.

Iainchef

Dec 31, 2020
I decided to buy a kit because they are customisable in the way they behave, whereas when you buy an ebike with everything built in, it may not be. But it depends on how confident you are with tools. They only ever supply extactly enough tiny screws, washers, bolts etc. and replacements if you lose one can take a very long time to arrive from China, if you're unlucky. I bought the Bafang 250W BBS01b, which is legal if you don't install the throttle. I've changed it's firmware (semi-software on the motor) so that it powers me uphill with minimal effort... firmware updates are tricky if you're not confident with computers, USB cables etc. Best try a few ready assembled ebikes and see which one works for you? If not, get a kit? Or get someone to upgrade a bike you like with a kit? The other advantage with kits is long-term serviceability; if anything breaks down, there will always be parts out there somewhere.

Iainchef

Dec 31, 2020
Thanks more you post with your advice much appreciated.
I am looking for ready built bike and have contacted Riks Bike Shed in Drumlanrig Castle. Thorn hill which is close to me as he hires out e-bikes to be used on custom trails in Castle Grounds. So hopefully will learn more about types etc.

Iainchef

Dec 31, 2020
Well here I am, 67 years old and dodgy hip, can make around 800mtrs before it becomes too painful to proceed walking but yet I've done a few 20 milers and a thirty on my oxygen s cross since lockdown, I try and get out whenever the weather permits and do enjoy it. I say go for it, isn't there anyone close that rents e bikes out so that you can try before you buy?
Hi Gliggsy
Took your advice and after a lot of searching have found reasonably close to me Riks Bike Shed (check site) at Drumlanrigg Castle in Thornhill Dumfriesshire. They have custom bike trails in castle grounds and do hire out e-bikes. So fingers crossed.

Iainchef

Dec 31, 2020
Hi Iain and welcome.
One thing you need to be aware of for consideration is the two different methods of pedal motion detection in order for the system to deliver power. E bikes are only allowed to give power assistance when the pedals are being turned - otherwise it's a moped !
One method of detection is torque sense. This detects the 'weight' or effort being put through the pedal by the rider, measures that effort and delivers back power as a multiple depending on power level selected. So the harder you push the more power you get.
The other method is cadence sense or pas. This detects the rotation of the pedals and delivers power so long as they are moving.

In consideration of your dodgy knees, I would say that the latter method would be the best for you. From experience I can tell you that, if your knee starts to hurt during a ride, with pas all you have to do is rotate the pedals, with no weight applied, and you will get power. This will get you home.
With cadence sense you always have to apply weight/effort otherwise there is no power delivery.
That said, no legal e-bike will get you up steep hills without input from you, but a pas bike will power you along flats and mild hills by itself, if you wish, saving your knees a deal of strain.
Mostly mid drive motored bikes (usually the more expensive) are torque sense. Most hub drive (front or rear) are pas.
Thanks for info
Ihave contacted (after a lot of searching) Riks Bike Shed at Drumlanrigg Castle Thornhill Dumfriesshire (not to far from me) he hires mountain and e-bikes for use in custom bike trails in castle grounds. So hopefully will get chance to trial various types of e-bikes and get some good info. I have gathered that all e-bikes are not equal when you see some of the prices quoted.
My journey is just beginning!!

TheoFitz

Aug 6, 2020
I have a Trek Verge + 2 500WH which I purchased over 3 months ago. I like it mainly because it is a step through and me being in my sixes it is easy for me to get on and off. I use for exercise. I have done just over 500 miles without any major problems.
Overall I am very happy with the bike.