One for the conspiracy theorists, I suspect.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
This incident, remarked on by 'The Skwawkbox', is deliciously perplexing and one wonders what, exactly, was going on in Chelsea yesterday to cause the situation described.

It all seems rather bizarre and more than a little unnerving. Perhaps there has been some clarification in the London news broadcasts which I may have missed?

exclusive-kings-rd-major-incident-video-suggests-police-press-pact

Tom

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can clarify the police reluctance to publicise with this current extract:

Their concerns follow the high-profile inquest into the death of 18-year-old Henry Hicks, a carpenter from North London who died in 2014 after he lost control of his vehicle whilst being pursued during a high-speed chase.

The inquest saw four police constables face gross misconduct hearings in relation to the death, which were directed by the Metropolitan Police following instruction from the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

There's also concern over the death of a 16 year old moped rider in a collision with a police car, amid claims he was being chased.

So you can see the subject is extremely sensitive at present. The police have no protection in law in this matter and it's being predicted that the four officers mentioned above are likely to be dismissed from the force.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I can clarify the police reluctance to publicise with this current extract:

Their concerns follow the high-profile inquest into the death of 18-year-old Henry Hicks, a carpenter from North London who died in 2014 after he lost control of his vehicle whilst being pursued during a high-speed chase.

The inquest saw four police constables face gross misconduct hearings in relation to the death, which were directed by the Metropolitan Police following instruction from the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

There's also concern over the death of a 16 year old moped rider in a collision with a police car, amid claims he was being chased.

So you can see the subject is extremely sensitive at present. The police have no protection in law in this matter and it's being predicted that the four officers mentioned above are likely to be dismissed from the force.
Meanwhile, Moped gangs are acting with impunity.,
Just where is this country going?

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Meanwhile, Moped gangs are acting with impunity.,
Just where is this country going?
Such a good question, but maths isn't taught anymore, or at least not the way I learned it? Just incase that was little obtuse, everything seems to be binary nowadays with little, if any, thought as to the consequences of 'our' actions? What's Moped Gangs got to do with the Police (Filth) mowing down innocent motorcyclists? We'll be talking about personal responsibility on here soon?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Such a good question, but maths isn't taught anymore, or at least not the way I learned it? Just incase that was little obtuse, everything seems to be binary nowadays with little, if any, thought as to the consequences of 'our' actions? What's Moped Gangs got to do with the Police (Filth) mowing down innocent motorcyclists? We'll be talking about personal responsibility on here soon?
When we take to the roads, the police have a power to stop us under section 163 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. This can be for something as minor or as routine as checking a driving licence. If we don't stop, an offence is committed.

Whatever our personal views are regarding the above power, them's the rules. No one is compelled to be bound by The Road Traffic Act and this particular piece of legislation, the option not to use a motor vehicle on a road is open to us all.

If the motorcyclist had stopped when requested to do so by the police, he wouldn't have been squashed by the beamer. It's that simple.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
When we take to the roads, the police have a power to stop us under section 163 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. This can be for something as minor or as routine as checking a driving licence. If we don't stop, an offence is committed.

Whatever our personal views are regarding the above power, them's the rules. No one is compelled to be bound by The Road Traffic Act and this particular piece of legislation, the option not to use a motor vehicle on a road is open to us all.

If the motorcyclist had stopped when requested to do so by the police, he wouldn't have been squashed by the beamer. It's that simple.
I totally agree, but the point is that it doesn't seem to be seen that way of late, with some Policemen being regarded as causing such deaths by their actions in chasing those that do fail to stop when requested? I guess we need this not-so-happy balance if we are not to become a Police state?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I totally agree, but the point is that it doesn't seem to be seen that way of late, with some Policemen being regarded as causing such deaths by their actions in chasing those that do fail to stop when requested? I guess we need this not-so-happy balance if we are not to become a Police state?
The IPPC do seem to be going after police officers when someone dies during a pursuit. I don't know the answer, but there is always a reason why someone doesn't stop when requested to do so by the police. The reasons for not stopping could range from a mistrust of the police after a bad experience, all the way through to the most serious offences imaginable. The problem being, it isn't know where on the scale the reason for failing to stop sits until the vehicle has been stopped and the driver questioned.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oldtom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The real failure is that the Police do not have a Trade Union to protect them.
They do have the police federation to represent them and I doubt a trade union would help in any way. The only real sanction a trade union has is a strike, but that isn't possible for the police since they are legally banned from striking.

Essentially the police are a para-military, bound by disciplinary requirements to obey orders and disobeying them being an offence.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Advertisers