Optimist

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Some kids have one locally and are often seen zooming up n down the road and path and they go quite fast.
I suppose if the tyres are run soft it wont hurt too much when you get one running up the back of your trouser leg.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
No chance , plus knock on effect for pedelecs will be large - all that no throttle, gotta pedal business goes out the window

Not sure I see that happening

Our law makers might just be a tad busy over the next 12 months , won’t give a monkeys about some US firms escooter lobbying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's no chance, too many other implications, for example the ban on Segways.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
There's no chance, too many other implications, for example the ban on Segways.
100% agree
Can you imagine the onslaught of rubbish and looneys hitting the streets more so than now because it’s legal

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Hold on, how does this fit in with all those posts on here where it has been said that unregistered S-pedelecs, bikes over 250W and others not strictly conforming with the EAPC regulations are always illegal to use, even on private land with the owner's permission, if the public has access to that land?

AFAIK QE Olympic Park is accessible to the public 24/7?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hold on, how does this fit in with all those posts on here where it has been said that unregistered S-pedelecs, bikes over 250W and others not strictly conforming with the EAPC regulations are always illegal to use, even on private land with the owner's permission, if the public has access to that land?

AFAIK QE Olympic Park is accessible to the public 24/7?
True, unless they are registered as mopeds and only used on roads.

There are many killers for this attempt to legalise motorised scooters:

First is that Segways are banned for public use, so there's no case for scooters.

Second is that the highest motorised speed allowed on pavements is 4 mph, that for mobility chairs and pedestrian controlled vehicles (walk-along carts). There's no point trying to use a scooter at below 5 mph or having restriction to 4 mph.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Absolutely flecc

But the point being made is that there is a trial and is, apparently, illegal

How does that work ?!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
In Brighton we have a shop in main drag that is selling electric scooters. It's only a few months old

The bike lanes are full of the bloody things doing around 18 to 20 mph. Certainly faster than legal epacs

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Absolutely flecc

But the point being made is that there is a trial and is, apparently, illegal

How does that work ?!
The DfT can give such a permission for a trial. You may remember we had a DfT waiver for using 250 watt pedelecs between 13th April 2013 and 6th April 2015 while the law said 200 watts was the maximum.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Ahh, thanks

A cheeky chappy might ask them to prove they have such a dispensation!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ahh, thanks

A cheeky chappy might ask them to prove they have such a dispensation!
But a cheeky chappy might find himself a regretful chappy after being on the receiving end of a bunch of fives as proof. :)

• :D
Reactions: robdon

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
[emoji23] true enough

Though I rather meant the company itself rather than users !

As it happens I am attending an event on Saturday in the Olympic Park , never been before

• Informative

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
The DfT can give such a permission for a trial. You may remember we had a DfT waiver for using 250 watt pedelecs between 13th April 2013 and 6th April 2015 while the law said 200 watts was the maximum.
But that previous waiver was a general waiver, nationwide. Surely it's unlikely that the DfT would give a waiver to one, specific, commercial company?

OR were some of those previous posts telling us of the illegality just incorrect?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But that previous waiver was a general waiver, nationwide. Surely it's unlikely that the DfT would give a waiver to one, specific, commercial company?

OR were some of those previous posts telling us of the illegality just incorrect?
They are illegal, but the DfT or even the transport minister can issue permission for a defined trial/test/event.

For example, vehicle racing of any kind is illegal on our roads, but twice there's been permission for restricted routes to be closed for Tour de France stages here. Another example is the annual 100 miles cycle race event for all comers out of London into Surrey.

And of course we had the very road illegal Formula 1 cars doing a very noisy demonstration drive around some roads in Central London, this part of an investigation into the viability of having a city race here.

There's also been driverless car trials.

Advertisers