Oxygen eMate: is this a special rear axle nut ?

minimaltoo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 14, 2019
I picked up a second hand Oxygen eMate MTB 13Ah bike about 900 miles ago, and it now needs new rear brake pads, but when trying to drop the wheel out one nut comes undone as expected (gear side) but the other one doesn’t seem to turn, but putting effort on the spanner causes the centre of the axle to move.

Do I just need to put more effort in, or is this actually a secure nut/axle arrangement and I need a special tool to get the wheel out ?

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sounds like the axle is turn in then drop out, so the drop out must be worn round. Drop outs should be flat so the axle slots in nicely.
Care fully use a tight fitting 10mm spanner on the gear side axle and then try and undo the LHS you may need a helper.

Reactions: minimaltoo

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Tighten the other axle nut, then do the tight one first. The nut on the other side will stop the axle from rotating. When you have the stuck one loose, the other one should undo easily.

D

Deleted member 25121

Try doing the gear side nut up really tight and then try to undo the nut on the other side. Also try putting some WD40 on the nut and leaving it for a few hours before trying to free it.

minimaltoo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 14, 2019
Thanks everyone !

That advice really helped my self doubt, so I went back at it with more force, keeping the gear side tight until the LHS started moving, and everything went fine.

I can now stop in a decent distance again :)

Related Articles

Advertisers