Oxygen s cross mk11 mtb 2020 ex demo model review

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
So I took the plunge around two weeks ago whilst looking for my first electric bike and wanted a mtb style but couldn’t afford to warrant spending big money so did some searching and looking at reviews on the net and came across the oxygen web site and spotted three ex demo bike at very discounted prices so made the call to kris at oxygen who’s the md there he sold me the bike in around ten minutes I paid £1355 including swapping the standard batt for there 17.5ah one . he advised me the one I bought had zero miles on it and had been marked scratched in transit but they had touched the damage up . So when it arrived the following day really well packaged all I had to do was fit peddles and front wheel plus handle bars , the mark was so small around 3mm match head size , so I first stuck the battery on a full charge around 6 hours following day went out and did around 10 miles , I rode it in normal mode on pas 2/3 I was smiling big time lol the ride itself was hard being a hard tail, and coming from riding a full suspension koni coiler mtb , So straight away i ordered some gel shorts and a Xcl suspension seat post costing around £63 , I did notice the smallest bump the battery knocks around which I’ve found really annoying and removing the battery it’s took the paint off in two places , so I’ve put some sticky back foam in four places to try and tighten this up but this hasn’t cured it now on 78 miles , not sure what’s next option ? Plus also today placed a order for some quality enduro style bolt on mudguards front and rear mini Size from rrp Costing £63 . I’m not gonna use it off road but I think it will set the bikes looks off as well , the standard seat is not too bad but also paid for a more high quality type one so also waiting on this to arrive , so far the battery is lasting a long time and still on first charge as I don’t always have pas on , another niggle is the chains slipped a few times in low gears around number 3 or 5 so will have to get a bike shop to sort that out as I’m not bike minded , I’ve also got the thumb throttle but haven’t fitted it yet and not sure I will . I wished oxygen would have had the logo on the black plan battery to match the opp side of the bike so il have get this done once lock down is finished . Il look also at changing the standard tyres later on at some point to maybe a little wider if possible plus red in colour lol tart ...... for the money you can’t really fault them and customer service is good instant reply’s to emails from kris so all in all once the niggles are sorted il be a happy chap

Attachments

Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Youve got yourself a bargain there SImon. Im sure you'll get plenty of miles out of it.

The battery rattling can be very annoying. I had it a lot on my mk1, but putting the some falt pads along the inside edge of the fram cured it, along with tightening the big nut that holds the charge connector to the frame. I
Tightening that bolt pushes the connector closer to the battery and makes it a tighter fit.
Just be careful not to over tighten as its plastic, and may break.

I have my twist throttle on the left hand side so that I can push the lever away from me rather than pull it towards me. You do have to pull the left hand grip off, and i also removed the brake lever to put the throttle the opposite side of the brakes. Will all depend on whats comfortable for you.
Hardly use the throttle. Sometimes i use it to help get me a quick start at traffic lights to avoid the left hand turning cars from chopping me up. Im usually off in the distance before they get the chance to cut me up.

I really struggled with adjusting the gears when I got my first ebike as its been so long since I did it. But if you can get your head around it, it really is quite straightforward, there are lots of videos on how to do it on youtube.

I have changed things on my bars a little bit since this photo, but the throttle is in the same place.
I now have some decent grips on, and have removed the big ring gear change lever as I removed it as never used, which gives me a lot more space on the bars.

IMG_20191102_124253.jpg

Pleasant riding :)

Reactions: Simonwwfc and Woosh

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Just a update I ordered two x mini rrp proguard bolt on mudguards as wanted off road look only discover you can’t fit them on the rear as frame isn’t wide enough even though there’s some fixing holes in frame not sure what they are for the front one looks and fitted perfect im just waiting on red sticker pack to arrive for them . They are expensive but you get what you pay at the end of the day , they cost £35 each but top quality so spare one going spare lol. Any ideas of one for the bike must be small enduro type

Attachments

Last edited:

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Heres a pic of my front chain rings...wish i knew what they are called....but I have removed the gear mechanism and gear lever and cable, and added a chain stay to hold the chain in place.

IMG_20200325_171912.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Heres a pic of my front chain rings...wish i knew what they are called....but I have removed the gear mechanism and gear lever and cable, and added a chain stay to hold the chain in place.
A front derailleur by any chance !!!!

If you keep dropping the chain then may be a new chain or new chain rings are in order like narrow wide ones.

• :D

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
It’s a chain guide found them on flea bay do you know the dia that’s required are all they the same dia on mtb ?

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
andy where did you get the chain stay mount / bracket from please as been searching eBay and google
This is the one i got:

Not available at the moment, but there are loads about very similar.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As simple as that , i was thinking chainset but hey ho. :)
Your chain ring is 4 bolt 104bcd, simply unbolt and replace.
There are some China branded narrow wide nice aluminium ones on ebay, I have recently replaced mine as thye were looking a bit worn after nearly 8 years.

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Well just a small update I haven’t been out last two days as weathers been crappy and I’m a fair weather rider so I fitted and finished doing the thumb throttle fitted it on left hand side so you have to push it forward to operate . Not sure if il use it that often here’s few pictures

Attachments

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Another update I’ve removed the standard handle bar stem and fitted this adjustable type one as to raise the handle bars as I felt I’m leaning to far forward and was killing my back . Will update as and when new add on parts arrive

Attachments

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Any problems with overtight cables or brake tubing after fitting the adj stem, especially on full lock?
It’s fine I’ve just been and did five miles on it since fitting it yesterday. What a difference in the ride position it was only raised by 15 degrees and just moved it up to 20 no more killing on the back more up right riding position

• Informative
Reactions: JPGiant

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Oops forgot to add fitted new seat as well much more comfy and wider not by much but my butt is actually on the seat comes with a really bright rear light that’s totally awesome and rechargeable loads of different light settings etc it clips to underneath of the seat

Attachments

Related Articles

Advertisers