Review Oxygen SCross MTB MK II Ongoing Review

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Just done 12.5 miles all in normal mode pas only on 2
awesome loved every minute
just ordered a Xcl suspension seat post 31.6 mm as that’s my only grip with having hard tail mtb £65 delivery
something I did notice I couldn’t reset trip distance from yesterday ?
plus if you come to a stop whilst out and the lcd screen goes off after a few minutes when you restart the lcd screen the distance resets itself ?
so far overall distance I’ve done is 21 miles in two days and love it so much more enjoyment I’ve ordered also a drink bottle mount to attach to post under the seat . Plus the battery does rattle a bit even the new limited edition 17ah battery I paid extra for so will have to look into this maybe some draught excluder ?
I really fancy some red tyres like to be noticed lol what’s the biggest dia tyres you can fit I’d like some chunky ones ?
the new 17ah battery doesn’t have any graphics as per oxygen web site so once lockdown is over il get a place to make me some

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Just update on mine battery wobble is nightmare and marking paint work , chain slips in between 4/5 gear ,

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Just update on mine battery wobble is nightmare and marking paint work , chain slips in between 4/5 gear ,
You can make adjustments to the battery connector which may help, and ity sounds like your gears need adjustment.
It might also be worth creating a new thread of your own if you want to run a separate review of your experience :)

Reactions: Simonwwfc

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Just done 12.5 miles all in normal mode pas only on 2
awesome loved every minute
just ordered a Xcl suspension seat post 31.6 mm as that’s my only grip with having hard tail mtb £65 delivery
something I did notice I couldn’t reset trip distance from yesterday ?
plus if you come to a stop whilst out and the lcd screen goes off after a few minutes when you restart the lcd screen the distance resets itself ?
so far overall distance I’ve done is 21 miles in two days and love it so much more enjoyment I’ve ordered also a drink bottle mount to attach to post under the seat . Plus the battery does rattle a bit even the new limited edition 17ah battery I paid extra for so will have to look into this maybe some draught excluder ?
I really fancy some red tyres like to be noticed lol what’s the biggest dia tyres you can fit I’d like some chunky ones ?
the new 17ah battery doesn’t have any graphics as per oxygen web site so once lockdown is over il get a place to make me some
The LCD will power down after a certain period, that's normal. Not sure how long it is, I would guess around 5 minutes. It then resets the trip becasue it assumes you have started a new one.

As for the battery rattle, you can adjust the connection mountings to tighten it up, if that doesnt work, some thin felt/foam material works wonders. Im sure i have detailed it in this thread somewhere.

I am guessing that Oxygen left the graphics off the new batteries because over time they just peel off and look a mess if you use your bike in all weathers.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Hit 1300 miles now on the bike. Clocking them up quite quickly now as I'm feeling the need to get out of the working from home once a day.

The last week has given me some time to test a loan battery from Oxygen, while they took at look at the problem with mine.
The loan was a 17.5 ah battery, so quite a bit meatier than my 13ah.

Have done a few runs on it, around the 26 mile mark, and the range has been a big bonus for me as Ive just not wanted to go home at the end of a ride!

I do run the bike as high powered as it will go, and its looking like I could comfortably do 30 miles on the 17.5 battery, whereas the 13ah I would be looking around 20. A big difference.

Oxygen have since replaced my battery, rather than return me the fixed old one. It turned out that there was a dead cell in it. Back to my 20 mile runs now :-(

One day, I will upgrade the battery :)

No other issues with the bike at all, its been brilliant.
Finally got my seating position right now, and it feels very comfortable.
Cant remember if I mentioned before that I removed the front derailleur as I never changed the front gear, and it did rattle a bit. I couldn't be bothered to adjust it, and the extra space on the handlebars has been useful.

I did put a chain stay on the front gears in place of the derailleur as the chain occasionally dropped onto the smaller cogs without it.

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Yes gotta say the 17.5 ah battery is lovely that’s why I paid extra to upgrade it when I had it delivered , just waiting for few bits to turn up

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Clocking up the miles rapidly now, go out most days to get a fix of fresh air, anything between 13 and 25 miles.

I can just about do 25 miles or so on the 13ah battery, which is quite impressive, but i do have to give it a bit of welly to do that. Tempted to upgrade to the 17ah but not made my mind up yet. Probably depend how long I have to work from home for as Im sure when im back commuting the miles will drop and hardly worth the expense.

Got myself a nice bag that fits under the frame for my phone, keys a carton of juice for the diabetic hypo fix, and the all important ecig :)

Couple of latest pics

Amazing what you can fit in a small shed :)

IMG_20200513_194143.jpg

IMG_20200513_194136.jpg

IMG_20200503_154156.jpg

IMG_20200503_154143.jpg

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
What’s the thing Velcro strapped to frame ? Is that a batt pack for front light
Very late reply.....almost a year and what a year we have had!
Yes, its a hope light, really really good, expensive but worth it.

The bike is going as strong as ever still, just about to hit 2500 miles.
Nowhere near as many miles this year, working from home still so thats knocked it down quite a bit, plus the horrible weather hasnt enticed me out as often.
Hopefully that will change over the next few weeks.

Did my first real major service on it at the weekend. First new chain being the only bought item, the rest just adjusting and cleaning up.

Had a problem of late with the rear brake, just not biting very well, despite new pads. Turns out that the rear calliper had seized up on one side, problem due to less use. Soon sorted out with a good clean up and works as good as new again.

Ive enrolled on a charity event in April to hopefully encourage me to get out on it more. The hardest thing of late is finding different places to go. Being stuck in, I seem to have covered every square mile within a reasonable radius.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Ive now clocked up 3000 miles on the MTB 2, and going as strong as ever.
I replaced the rear calliper the other day, for the cost of a new one it was easier than keep cleaning the old one out and teasing it back into working properly.

Did the UK cycle for diabetes as part of a small team, Team Oxygen Bicycles, all of using Oxygen bikes for our mileage.

Was really enjoyable, with plenty of motivation from within the team to hit our targets.
We managed between us to rack up enough miles to be at the top of the overall distance leaderboards which was very satisfying, and testament to these bikes.

Ive yet to come across anyone who has much wrong to say about Oxygen, and its good to see that they have gone from strength to strength, especially over the last year of complete weirdness.

RotharMor

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 22, 2021
Ive now clocked up 3000 miles on the MTB 2, and going as strong as ever.
I replaced the rear calliper the other day, for the cost of a new one it was easier than keep cleaning the old one out and teasing it back into working properly.

Did the UK cycle for diabetes as part of a small team, Team Oxygen Bicycles, all of using Oxygen bikes for our mileage.

Was really enjoyable, with plenty of motivation from within the team to hit our targets.
We managed between us to rack up enough miles to be at the top of the overall distance leaderboards which was very satisfying, and testament to these bikes.

View attachment 42302

Ive yet to come across anyone who has much wrong to say about Oxygen, and its good to see that they have gone from strength to strength, especially over the last year of complete weirdness.
Hello.
I've just come upon this thread of yours. I used an Oxygen 2011 model Emate for 6 yrs and it packed up. I loved the bike & need a new bike to get out. I have angina problem which cannot be stented so the throttle on my Emate was great. I've tried a Forme crank driven bike with high torgue motor but did not get the same help( which I need) on the hills.
Was your previous Oxygen fitted with a throttle?
I am trying to determine if the set up on your bike with the new choice of 3 power levels and 6 assists can make up for the loss of the throttle. Any advice & info you can give me will be gratefully accepted. The Throttle bike was life changing for me as I can be active but at a controlled heart rate. Your thread has been entertaining and informative and the bike looks great in your pics.

Reactions: Giocast

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Hello.
I've just come upon this thread of yours. I used an Oxygen 2011 model Emate for 6 yrs and it packed up. I loved the bike & need a new bike to get out. I have angina problem which cannot be stented so the throttle on my Emate was great. I've tried a Forme crank driven bike with high torgue motor but did not get the same help( which I need) on the hills.
Was your previous Oxygen fitted with a throttle?
I am trying to determine if the set up on your bike with the new choice of 3 power levels and 6 assists can make up for the loss of the throttle. Any advice & info you can give me will be gratefully accepted. The Throttle bike was life changing for me as I can be active but at a controlled heart rate. Your thread has been entertaining and informative and the bike looks great in your pics.
Hi there
Thanks' for the nice comments about the thread :)

Yes, both models I have had include the throttle. It might be an optional extra on both bikes, but can easily be added on if you were to buy a second hand one without.

On both my old and new bikes, the throttle was setup to take you up to, shall we say a good speed, rather than the default walking pace.
I do know that Oxygen have changed the LCD control panel on the newest models, which means the bike cannot be derestricted, probably (but i cant confirm) stopping you from increasing the throttle speed.
The Mk1 and early Mk2 models had the original LCD screen which could easily be derestricted, including setting the throttle to take you past the walking speed.
It might be having a word with Oxygen, Im sure they will be happy to clarify.
Hope that helps
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the hub and battery on the old emate are good then a system upgrade will be about £100 for a nice KT kit.

RotharMor

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 22, 2021
Hi there
Thanks' for the nice comments about the thread :)

Yes, both models I have had include the throttle. It might be an optional extra on both bikes, but can easily be added on if you were to buy a second hand one without.

On both my old and new bikes, the throttle was setup to take you up to, shall we say a good speed, rather than the default walking pace.
I do know that Oxygen have changed the LCD control panel on the newest models, which means the bike cannot be derestricted, probably (but i cant confirm) stopping you from increasing the throttle speed.
The Mk1 and early Mk2 models had the original LCD screen which could easily be derestricted, including setting the throttle to take you past the walking speed.
It might be having a word with Oxygen, Im sure they will be happy to clarify.
Hope that helps
Andy
Thanks Andy. I don't think I can get a throttle on the 2021 Oxygen bikes. Its the hills which I am worried about & Oxygen have this selection of 3 x 6 power options which I trying to get more info on.

Related Articles

Advertisers