Oxygen Scross MTB ongoing review

D

Deleted member 4366

You can cut a piece off the inboard end if they're too long. you can even do that with the ones with a clamp each end because they still clamp OK just from one end.

There's loads of cheap ergonomic grips on Ebay.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
I have both Ergon grips and the cheaper copies fitted on my bikes and find the cheap ones to be just as good.
The rubber grips wear the same on both of them so they have to be replaced in time and £7 is a lot easier on the pocket than £40 Ergons (with Barends).

• Informative

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I agree and also, a geared hub motor accelerates faster than a direct motor at the same current.
Can you lift up the rear wheel and throttle up the bike to see how fast it goes at no load?
Checked this today...26.4mph

Reactions: Woosh

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Loving this thread. As a biking novice I'm learning more about my bike on here than owning it for 6 months. Are the grips crap? I have no other experience . But my wrists always hurt during and after a ride. So will be interested to see what you come up with.

I bought the suntour ncx suspension post. Only done about 20 miles but lower back jarring now all gone. But saddle seems less comfy lol.mive found I have to pull the saddle as far forward as it will go too.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Loving this thread. As a biking novice I'm learning more about my bike on here than owning it for 6 months. Are the grips crap? I have no other experience . But my wrists always hurt during and after a ride. So will be interested to see what you come up with.

I bought the suntour ncx suspension post. Only done about 20 miles but lower back jarring now all gone. But saddle seems less comfy lol.mive found I have to pull the saddle as far forward as it will go too.

Wouldnt call the grips crap, but definitely will not do me any favours doing 40ish mile a day. Ive only done 3 or 4 decent runs on it so far due to the house move, but already felt my wrists starting to ache, and the grips feel really sharp when holding them if that makes sense....

I have gone for the ergon GP1 grips I mentioned earlier, not the cheapest, but ive wasted way too much in the past on buying poor imitations of stuff, so just went for it. They arrived today, I have put them on ready for my first day back at work after 2 weeks off.

The seat is going to take me a week or two I think before I will have any idea as to if I can stick with it....the couple of rides I did do, it did feel a bit harsh, but time will tell

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
I was complaining about my seat for the first few rides but now it feels okay, I think it just took getting used to cycling again.

The grips that come with the bike feel okay to me, not really had any issues with them, the funny thing is the tyres, I asked for Schwalbe Energizer Pro touring because I thought the supplied tyres were Kendra, well it turns out they had Schwalbe Marathon tyres fitted, I got these back.

I am not sure if that is just the shop I bought from or whether Oxygen themselves now fit Schwalbe as standard, perhaps you can tell me Andy.

There is not much difference between the Marathon Pro tyres ( note Not the plain vanilla marathon tyres ) and the Energizer except the Pro has better puncture protection whereas the Energizer has a slight edge on rolling resistance and road and off road performance.

• Informative

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
When I got my EMate it had Schwalbe Smart Sam tyres on it, like Andy's. A couple of not-too-rural, off-road excursions resulted in as many punctures. I bought some Schwalbe Land Cruisers which offer decent puncture resistance (though not as much as the Marathon + ones), roll very nicely on the tarmac, and have decent off-road performance. I'll admit they appear to be something of a compromise, but I haven't felt compromised on any of my rides with them on & I haven't had a puncture since fitting them. Good value too.

One side effect is that they are smaller diameter than the Smart Sams, so the speedo is about 5% optimistic. I suppose it was calibrated with the Smart Sams.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Judging by my photo my bike came with schwalbe rapid robs.
A couple of punctures but fixed with slime. None since, touch wood.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Ive added slime to the tyres so far, im hoping that will be enough as my new route is mostly tarmaced now, whereas before there was quite a bit of dirt tracks. There dont seem to be as many tyre options about for 27.5's than there was for 26" tyres

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
No, there aren't. That's one of the few negatives in my Emate review. The Land Cruisers are in 27.5" though...

My experience of slime is not good. My valves got clogged up and I ended up having to slash the tyres and tubes to remove them!

• Informative

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
@Tugwell. If I can find it, do you want my spare cover for your Suntour NCX? I ordered one when I bought the seatpost unaware that it came with one included in the deal.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
@Tugwell. If I can find it, do you want my spare cover for your Suntour NCX? I ordered one when I bought the seatpost unaware that it came with one included in the deal.
Yes please. I did look and it's mostly German sites selling. So as everything else is such a crap shoot I thought sod it. I will tell the tale later of Amazon uk. And the tombola they a running regarding Spring strength on the suntour.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
OK, PM me with your address...

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Have been doing my new commute since Monday, which is around 18 miles each way. It takes me around 1hr and 10 minutes, a little bit less depending on red lights when I hit the city centre.

Very pleased with how the bike has performed. No issues to report so far, although like someone else has mentioned, the Odometer has for some reason reset itself at one point.
I think it was when I uncoupled a few wires when swapping things around on the handlebars.

Monday was dry, Tuesday it battered down with rain on the way in. The mudguards I added do a very good job, although the front one could do with being a little longer.
The brakes work extremely well, even in the wet. The LCD has no issues with steaming up like those on my previous bikes, and is really nice and clear to read.

The cheap seat post I bought does a reasonable job of taking out bumps at the rear, and the front suspension feels nice.
Monday and Tuesday felt comfortable on the butt...but this morning, it hurts! May well have to look at repalcing the seat, will give it a few more days before deciding.
The ergon grips work well, my wrists were starting to ache after just a couple of miles with the standard ones, but very littel discomfort with these ones on the bike.

The motor is superb, it really pulls well when you need it.
I have it set on power mode, and pretty much level 6 assist all the way, apart from areas where its not safe to go at full speed. On this setting, the battery drops from starting at 41.5 to around 35 volts at the end.
One thing I really like about the assist levels is they do act like a speed limiter....put it on 5, and assistance drops off at around 17mph. Level 6 takes me to a steady 22mph. It will assist above that, but I dont think you are getting much reward back for the extra effort you have to put in. 22 is a nice speed I feel comfortable with.

Im certainly going to be clocking the miles up on this one.
Will be giving it a really close look over at the weekend.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk

About to press the button and buy a Suntour seatpost....not sure which length to get...the 350mm one is £60...the 400mm one is £49....

Related Articles

Advertisers