Paper Helmet?

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Can't wait for the version that is approved for motorcycles as it can sustain a regular crash on a regular road.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm afraid his knowledge of the woodpecker's head is sadly lacking, the cartilage he mentions is of necessity only a very minor part of it's brain protection.

In fact it's brain is smaller than the skull chamber it sits in and it's surrounded with fluid having a viscosity matched to it's rapid beak strike rate when drilling. The result is that it's brain remains almost motionless as the beak and skull rapidly beat on the timber, the fluid doing the shifting while the brain mass inertia holds it almost stationary in space.

That said, I hope his work results in better helmets than those we have at present, polystyrene lacking in many respects.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Looking at the design, I not only like it, I would wear one. Unfortunately it would only survive one impact and then a new one would be needed. Having said that, even plastic/foam helmets sould be replaced after an impact as well. But who does. This may put you at risk in another impact situation.

Last edited:

Advertisers