PDQ Powertrike Extra

Big Brenda

Just Joined
Sep 10, 2015
Hi all

I’m trying to source a larger wattage brushless front hub motor for my PDQ Powertrike Extra.

Due to the construction of the trike it’s powered solely by the 250w brushed motor in a 20” rim with no pedal assist.

a) Is it possible to buy a brushless hub motor/speed controller without pedal assist?

b) Or would one with pedal assist operate to maximum capacity without connecting the pedal assist?

c) Can I install a hub motor from a 26” wheel in a 20” rim?

Kind regards

BB

D

Deleted member 4366

When you put a motor for a 26" wheel in a 20" rim, you will get 77% of the speed and 130% torque.

If it's just more torque you want, you could try a more powerful controller; however, your battery might not be able to provide enough power. Do you know which one you have?

Brushed motor controllers are very difficult to find with pedal assist. They just work with the throttle.

Big Brenda

Just Joined
Sep 10, 2015
Thank you d8veh for the information regarding the 26” hub motor in a 20” wheel

I currently have a 31a 1000w controller running off a 36v 22ah battery pack, powering a 250w brushed motor. This provides ample torque but peaks out at 17mph.

I would like to convert to a 1000w brushless system but am unsure as to how well it would perform without my ability to pedal assist.

(stock photo)

BB

Attachments

C

Cyclezee

Hi Big Brenda,

Below is an example of a trike we converted recently for customer, it has an eZee front hub motor in a 20" rim with 20amp controller and is throttle only as the rider has great difficulty pedalling.
IMG_20150825_091307.jpg

Reactions: Alan Quay
D

Deleted member 4366

I currently have a 31a 1000w controller running off a 36v 22ah battery pack, powering a 250w brushed motor. This provides ample torque but peaks out at 17mph.
You still haven't spelled out what you are trying to achieve.