Pedelec for General Touring

Touring Optimist

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 30, 2019
Hi all, thanks to all the contributors here. I am trying to find a good all round touring bike capable of distances of up to 80km over varied terrain in lowest assist mode.

I have been impressed with member posts and YouTube reviews of the Cube touring range with the Active Line Plus motors.

Would there be a large range difference between a 500 vs 650 battery?

Is the Kiox display worth paying a premium price for over earlier displays and can the Kiox be retro fitted to older bikes?

What other bikes should I consider for light/credit card touring? Budget is circa £3k.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew K

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 12, 2014
Edinburgh
I manage 50 miles (80km) with a 500Wh battery with an old KTM hybrid equipped with a bosch performance line motor and marathon plus tyres with no problem using a mixture of mainly eco and a little tour. With my newer bike with the CX motor (and MTB tyres) 50 miles would be a stretch. I'm heavy (18 stone) and probably only averagely fit.
So probably any bosch ALP or performance line motor equipped trekking/hybrid bike would do.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We found this range calculator uncannily accurate...

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/
I agree. It also works pretty well for non-Bosch equipment if you make appropriate guess for motor type and riding mode, and adjustments for battery size. It could be a little more clear on hilliness. Note the huge differences between eco and tour.

What does not work at all well is the remaining range estimate on the bike itself, which is based on much too short a history (looks like just a mile or two).