Pendleton Somerby Upgrade

Seajay

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 1, 2020
Hiya,
Yes the brake connectors are Juliet. Just the battery to sort now.
I haven't heard anything from Jimmy at ebikebatteries yet? I can't talk to him on the phone, as they are closed and just a message saying email them. I have sent email but no reply. I guess there are delays due to them working from home?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Afaik Jimmy is back at work and has been very busy with battery builds/re -cells, his service is reliable so might just require a bit of patience at the mo. Members have been using him as of last few weeks.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I've been reading this thread with great interest as have just purchased the first family eBike - the Pendleton Somerby and as per the OP's post, am experiencing the same issues regarding a lag in power kicking back in again after a descent. Clearly the way forward seems to be a change of controller and associated dispaly to the KT LCD3. So just a couple of silly questions really:
> In the event that I do upgrade to the KT LCD3, can I still use the original Pendleton Phylon battery pack?

And can I ask @Seajay for
(a) his final 'TopBikeKit' shopping list (saves me making errors of my own shopping list) and
(b) - has the kit arrived yet and how goes the upgrade?

I guess going the DHL route will incurr Customes charges of 20% plus VAT on top and then the 12 GBP DHL fee?

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
...the controllers aren't reliable and blow because of their size and the heat they have to withstand at times form those who max them out. That said my first BBS controller I didn't touch and it still blew.
I don't think that's strictly true. The Americans (documented on the ES forum) soon worked out that the weak link in the early Bafang BBS's/MaxDrive controllers were the MOSFETS, and found a brand/type that proved very reliable. Bafang listened and took this on-board, and started using that exact brand of MOSFETS the ES guys recommended. Nowadays, unless you really are a thick twat, max all the settings, and max the power continuously, the Bafang mid-drive controllers really are very reliable.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I don't think that's strictly true. The Americans (documented on the ES forum) soon worked out that the weak link in the early Bafang BBS's/MaxDrive controllers were the MOSFETS, and found a brand/type that proved very reliable. Bafang listened and took this on-board, and started using that exact brand of MOSFETS the ES guys recommended. Nowadays, unless you really are a thick twat, max all the settings, and max the power continuously, the Bafang mid-drive controllers really are very reliable.
Too slow cadence when climbing steep hills overheats everything on these motors.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I've been reading this thread with great interest as have just purchased the first family eBike - the Pendleton Somerby and as per the OP's post, am experiencing the same issues regarding a lag in power kicking back in again after a descent. Clearly the way forward seems to be a change of controller and associated dispaly to the KT LCD3. So just a couple of silly questions really:
1. From pictures of the KT LCD3, I can't see how the different Power Assist modes are activated - can someone clarify this for me please?
2. The OP (@Seajay) is going for a thumb throttle - I'm unclear as to what the thumb throttle brings to the game - can someone enlighten me please?
3. In the event that I do upgrade to the KT LCD3, can I still use the original Pendleton Phylon battery pack?

And can I ask seajay for
(a) his final 'TopBikeKit' shopping list (saves me making errors of my own shopping list) and

I guess going the DHL route will incurr Customes charges of 20% plus VAT on top and then the 12 GBP DHL fee?
1. You can't just buy the KT LCD3 you have to buy a KT controller as well and maybe other parts like PAS etc , if you don't want to do much wire work. The LCD3 has a wired thumb pad, it is used to make all the parameter setting changes and simply uses an up/down press to toggle between the PAS levels all very simple and waterproof. LCD3 all shows speed, watts being drawn, PAS level, voltage etc,etc. A quick press in us eof the on/off button brings up avg spd, max spd, odo & mileage etc.

2. Thumb throttle can be handy if you want a blip of power/acceleration if you are in low PAS level, the extra power is pretty much instant. Also handy should you damage a pedal/crank arm, the chain snaps or even you hurt your leg if you fall etc, the throttle will to an extent allow you to get somewhere without pedalling.

3. Yes you just connect the +/- wires to the KT controller.

(a) if you don't want to do any rewiring you will need a controller, LCD3, 1T4 trunk loom, PAS sensor & spd sensor (if your motor doesn't have internal one). If you want throttle then you need the brake cut offs as well.

Duties will be max about £24 on £200 spent, this was my cost with a hub motor.
For the controller and bits it should be a bit less.

Reactions: Bikes4two

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
1. The OP (@Seajay) is going for a thumb throttle - I'm unclear as to what the thumb throttle brings to the game - can someone enlighten me please?
2. From pictures of the KT LCD3, how the different Power Assist modes activated - can someone clarify this for me please? Is that what the thumb controller does?

3. In the event that I do upgrade to the KT LCD3, can I still use the original Pendleton Phylon battery pack?
PS- thanks to youtube, I've answered my own questions to (1) & (2)

Just use the cheapest postage offered. On small items, like controllers, you often get away with duty.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Too slow cadence when climbing steep hills overheats everything on these motors.
That's the point exactly. Being mid-drive, you have gears to optimise cadence vs motor power. You'd need to be a complete twat to overheat/stress the motor using too low a gear.

Seajay

Jun 1, 2020
> In the event that I do upgrade to the KT LCD3, can I still use the original Pendleton Phylon battery pack?

Sorry for delay in responding. Been away in Caravan for a few weeks and just got back.
I bought the following from TopBikeKIt :-
T-06S 24V/36V 250W Contoller.
1 - 4 Cable, T-LCD3 Display, Wuxing 108X Thumb Throttle.
Items arrived within a couple of weeks. All exactly as ordered. Fitted the following day and all working as it should, after tweaking the settings. No additional customs charges incurred.
Wife hasn't tried it yet, as I sent the Battery away to Jimmy @ EBikebatteries, to have it re-celled. He is fitting higher ah rated Panasonic cells (in the same casing), to take the battery up to 14ah. (Original only 8.7ah) It will be ready for dispatch back to me Monday.
On receipt of the battery, we will hook it up and test ride it.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Thanks for the update @Seajay , I ordered the same kit from the same place last Monday and paid for DHL and it arrived Friday with a £3 customs charge thanks to some imaginative invoicing. As I write, I've just been for a spin around the block having fitted the kit this afternoon which has transformed the powered riding experience.

I took photos of the kit installation which I shall include in a 'how to' guide for the forum to inspire others to make the change as this posting did for me.

My original battery pack is still ok but when it fades I shall do something similar to what you've done. Can I ask how much the re-celled battery working is costing please?

Seajay

Jun 1, 2020
Thanks for the update @Seajay , I ordered the same kit from the same place last Monday and paid for DHL and it arrived Friday with a £3 customs charge thanks to some imaginative invoicing. As I write, I've just been for a spin around the block having fitted the kit this afternoon which has transformed the powered riding experience.

I took photos of the kit installation which I shall include in a 'how to' guide for the forum to inspire others to make the change as this posting did for me.

My original battery pack is still ok but when it fades I shall do something similar to what you've done. Can I ask how much the re-celled battery working is costing please?
The battery upgrade including collection and delivery back was £300.

Advertisers