Pendleton Sommersby 2018

Katykitten

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 22, 2020
Hi im new to the site and id appreciate some input.
Im looking for a ladies step-through ebike with around 50 mile range, id prefer the tyres which don't puncture too easily (not sure what they re called) and im only 5ft 3 " so i think a 17" frame is a good size for me

Ive tried a Pendleton a few days ago but i couldn't put my feet down further than the tips of my toes, and the saddle wouldn't drop any further although the seller said they would saw off an inch form the end of the post but not sure if that would affect the bike adversely? it seemed quite heavy but in great condition and a great ride. the seller bought it in 2018 for £699)

My maximum spend is £900

any advice much appreciated

Last edited:

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
The 50 mile range will be a push within your budget unless you are pretty fit. I find most people over estimate the range needed, if it 50 miles occasionally better to get a second battery.

Reactions: Katykitten

Katykitten

Jul 22, 2020
The 50 mile range will be a push within your budget unless you are pretty fit. I find most people over estimate the range needed, if it 50 miles occasionally better to get a second battery.
I guess im just looking for the best possible range but am open to recommendations with lower range

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Overlander is quite right about range. The Somerby has a small battery. Most 'up to' figures are about 3 times what you can expect to get in real life. They will be on minimal assist, good road, tyres fully pumped (over pumped), no wind, etc etc. Add a few hills, medium assist, real road surfaces and tyre pressures, a little wind and the figure drops hugely. (***)

One possible issue with a 2018 bike that hasn't been used much is that the lack of use of the battery has caused it to degrade, depending whether they made sure the battery remained with decent charge even during periods of non-use. Very difficult to tell if this is the case.

Size is difficult. For a regular cyclist the saddle should be at a height so the knees are fairly straight at the bottom of the down-stroke; this will mean you can't put both feet down fully. If you are not so sure you will want the saddle lower; at least until your confidence increases. Cutting a bit off the seatpost should be fine (be careful no shreds of metal get into the tube where they can drop down onto the bearings). You'll probably have enough left that you can put it up again when you get more confident and want the saddle higher; if not a new post will be pretty cheap.

(***) Look at https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/
It's for Bosch bikes, but as long as you allow for battery size should give a reasonable estimate of what range to expect. In particular, you will see the huge range differences from different assist levels and different conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Katykitten

Katykitten

Jul 22, 2020
Overlander is quite right about range. The Somerby has a small battery. Most 'up to' figures are about 3 times what you can expect to get in real life. They will be on minimal assist, good road, tyres fully pumped (over pumped), no wind, etc etc. Add a few hills, medium assist, real road surfaces and tyre pressures, a little wind and the figure drops hugely. (***)

One possible issue with a 2018 bike that hasn't been used much is that the lack of use of the battery has caused it to degrade, depending whether they made sure the battery remained with decent charge even during periods of non-use. Very difficult to tell if this is the case.

Size is difficult. For a regular cyclist the saddle should be at a height so the knees are fairly straight at the bottom of the down-stroke; this will mean you can't put both feet down fully. If you are not so sure you will want the saddle lower; at least until your confidence increases. Cutting a bit off the seatpost should be fine (be careful no shreds of metal get into the tube where they can drop down onto the bearings). You'll probably have enough left that you can put it up again when you get more confident and want the saddle higher; if not a new post will be pretty cheap.

(***) Look at https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/
It's for Bosch bikes, but as long as you allow for battery size should give a reasonable estimate of what range to expect. In particular, you will see the huge range differences from different assist levels and different conditions.

Katykitten

Jul 22, 2020
thank you , lots of useful info there
where would you suggest i look for an ebike - im happy to have new or used
do most of them have puncture resist tyres now?

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Do not get too hung up on tyres takes 30 minutes max to change them and new ones are cheap. I would take a look at woosh bikes as my wife has the folding rambletta and its a great bike. Sure many people will be along with other suggestions. Unfortunately electric bikes are very popular now and you might have to wait until the one you like is in stock.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
On the same bike and ride, petite Women can get double the range of a some of our forum members who have eaten too many pies. Mass has a big effect on range, especially if there are hills in your ride. 50 miles from a 36v 10Ah battery is quite feasible for a sub 75kg rider, especially if the rider is used to oedalling a non-electric bike.

Reactions: sjpt and overlander

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
I am 5ft 3in and 57kg. Although I'm 66 now and I have a kidney transplant, I'm reasonably fit for a woman of my age.
I have had a juicy Click step through for 5 years now and I personally wouldn't change it for anything else with the amount of fun it's given me. I uprated to a a 36v 12.5AH battery when purchasing the bike and the bike climbs hills like there is no tomorrow. However I don't bank on getting more than 20mls range out of it where I live, which is very hilly.
But, importantly I can get my feet down safely and the bike is very comfortable to ride as the handlebar position puts you into an upright sitting position. I have bought a ladies padded saddle for it with some suspension springs and the seat is on it's lowest setting. It has the Kenda tires as standard and these have some puncture resistance. In fact I haven't had a single puncture In 5 years but I carry a repair kit and a spare tube just in case.
I personally don't think that you are going to get 50mls out of a bike costing around the 1k mark to be honest and I'd be very wary of any sellers that make claims of ridiculous mileages. They are likely based on you hardly using the power assistance and not hitting any hills, which is unrealistic. In fact you will definitely want to use the assistance if only because it is so much fun to have that acceleration on a bike!
I should add that the Juicy Click is a tad over your budget but it's a strong, well made bike and I have had no reliability issues with it at all.

Liz

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
I'm a small, old woman. I used to be quite a serious cyclist until age and other issues stopped me a few years ago, and now I'm planning to get going again with the aid of an e-bike.
Please don't concern yourself about the tyres, you can get stuff to put in them(it's usually referred to a 'Slime') - or have it put in at a cycle shop (can you slime my tyres please?) - which makes them self-mend a normal small puncture, so that is the least of your worries.

From my research, and comments from others in this forum, the only way you'll get 50 miles out of anything other than a top-of-the-range ebike and perfectly maintained battery, is to buy a second battery and take it with you to swap around. However as others have also said, if you're a little titch of a thing, riding on a good road on both the flat and downhill, with the wind behind you, pedalling effectively all of the time with the lowest assist level, and switching power right off on any downhills, you might get away with it. Where you find a route that only has downhills and flat, and where the wind is always behind you, though, I don't know. If you do, please let me know!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Where you find a route that only has downhills and flat, and where the wind is always behind you, though, I don't know. If you do, please let me know!
Some years ago a Danish politician (Denmark already mostly satisfies the 'flat') stood on a promise that if he got in he would arrange that the wind would always be behind you. Mainly he was just pointing a finger at the truth of his rivals' promises ... but he did get a lot of votes.

• :D
Reactions: Liz