Picking the second bike is worse than the first

Itsashambles

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 20, 2018
oldham
So I have the cyclamatic power plus, I've realised that buying second-hand makes it a little bit problematic when it comes to the maintenance of the bike I have no experience in this, the problem with the 2nd one, is you know what you want, truth is I have never been on another bike, I have decided to keep this and hopefully while I have a stress free cycling year or two, I'm going to learn the basics. I digress.
I now have a bundle of joy know as the grandchild, so I have about a thousand pounds, I'd like it to get up hills and take my 10st and his 2 stone, I do like to overfill my basket too, the cyclamatic was huge, it is a house bike when it's not busy, I have swatted up on mid drives, bosch, I know this is out of the budget, looked at the woosh, trouble is i have no way of repairing it should I need to, Halford only repair their bikes, I'm in a Dilemma, because I can't see anything I like on there, and I know for the same money I cam get better. Need your help guys x

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
limited frame sizes but not that much more if you look around.

my bosch powerd bike even with a dongle has never had a problem since 2014 and the original batt is still working.

id spend a bit more and get a bike to last ;)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
So I have the cyclamatic power plus, I've realised that buying second-hand makes it a little bit problematic when it comes to the maintenance of the bike I have no experience in this, the problem with the 2nd one, is you know what you want, truth is I have never been on another bike, I have decided to keep this and hopefully while I have a stress free cycling year or two, I'm going to learn the basics. I digress.
I now have a bundle of joy know as the grandchild, so I have about a thousand pounds, I'd like it to get up hills and take my 10st and his 2 stone, I do like to overfill my basket too, the cyclamatic was huge, it is a house bike when it's not busy, I have swatted up on mid drives, bosch, I know this is out of the budget, looked at the woosh, trouble is i have no way of repairing it should I need to, Halford only repair their bikes, I'm in a Dilemma, because I can't see anything I like on there, and I know for the same money I cam get better. Need your help guys x
The Cyclamatic Power Plus is not a bad bike, but it has a terrible control system and is quite weak at only 24 volts. It can be upgraded to a really nice bike for about £200 to £250 with a new 36v battery and control system. For that price, you get double the power, double the range, a silent smooth motor and 5 levels of very user-friendly pedal assist. To fit it, you have to do a small amount of wiring and solder a couple of connectors.

Itsashambles

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 20, 2018
oldham
The Cyclamatic Power Plus is not a bad bike, but it has a terrible control system and is quite weak at only 24 volts. It can be upgraded to a really nice bike for about £200 to £250 with a new 36v battery and control system. For that price, you get double the power, double the range, a silent smooth motor and 5 levels of very user-friendly pedal assist. To fit it, you have to do a small amount of wiring and solder a couple of connectors.
Can you point me In the direction of the parts, or is it HQ. I really do fancy a treat tho. But I might do it up. 36v be OK then?

Still what would you do? started looking at second hand again now. I'm I na revolving nightmare here. if someone would have said heresa grand buy 1 to me last year, easy peasy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

You have to select an LCD (most use choose the LCD3), the speed sensor and a 10 poles PAS. You can probably use your existing PAS, but you have to take the pedal arm and chainwheel off to flip the magnet disc. It's best to have a spare anyway. You can choose a new throttle if you want to save some messing about with connectors.

If you get the controller, LCD, throttle, PAS, brakes, speed sensor and PAS, all the connectors will fit, so no wiring other than remove your old stuff and put on the new. You'll still have to remove the pedal arm and chainwheel to fit the PAS.

It looks like you should get change out of £200. You can get a battery with more Ah if you want more range.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Interesting but I don't have the ability to do this.

Need to pick a new one, help me please xx
If you are keen for a new bike then I get that!

But I'd go try some. Find a few shop suppliers near to you, give them a ring and visit for test ride.

Woosh are a customer centric company. They would help you with. Issues and their bikes use pretty standard motors and systems. That's in no way a bad thing. It means they can generally be easily repaired even out of warranty

If I had a grand in my pocket, your requirements and didn't want to build or repair my own..... They'd be first on my list

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Did you have a look at the Apollo ebikes when you were in Halfords?

I'm not keen on Chinese electrics, but that's pretty much where you are for your budget.

The Apollo ebikes I saw for around £700 looked surprisingly decent for the money.

Basic 36v electrics, proven simple LED display, V-brakes - better than cheapo discs.

Halfords customer service is notoriously variable, but you would at least have somewhere to take it back to.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Apollo ebikes I saw for around £700 looked surprisingly decent for the money.

Basic 36v electrics, proven simple LED display, V-brakes - better than cheapo discs.
Woosh Faro has hydraulic brakes, LCD, 8-speed rapid fire shifter for well under £1,000.

Faro with 8AH, weight: 16.5kgs, £899 with free delivery.

Faro with 17AH battery, weight 18.5kgs

Reactions: flecc

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Must say those Whoosh bikes look like great value for money and Whoosh seem to have a very good reputation (I have no connection with the company). They are very tempting but personally I love my Cube Acid and if I was in the market for another ebike I would buy the same model again. Admittedly more expensive (nearly twice the price of the Whoosh 8AH Faro) but a great bike for what I want.